What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangars in Irvine area?

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Possibly relocating for work. Anyone have data points on hangar availability and pricing in the Irvine/Santa Ana area? One flying, but "unfinished" RV-8.

Thanks,
Bart

Most mid/south Orange County RVers hangar at Fullerton, Corona, or Chino. I'm a little familiar with the latter two, maybe someone else will chime in about KFUL. T-hangars currently start at $330 at Corona (KAJO) and availability is intermittent. At KCNO, figure on $325 for bare Port-a-port, $450 for tees w/power, up to around $1400 for 60x60. Usually something available.

From Irvine, drive to KAJO 25mi/25min, KCNO 30/30, both via toll road, a bit longer for free. Gas at KAJO is usually cheapest in the area. Several RVs at KAJO, many at KCNO (>30).

You can probably forget about John Wayne (KSNA). Not much chance of getting to the top of the waiting list during your lifetime and the cost will stop your heart.

Merry Christmas.

John Wayne airport (KSNA) would be the closest to Irvine, but would be pretty expensive. I don't even think they have self serve fuel there so plan on buying elsewhere or almost $8 from the truck. I'm at Fullerton airport (KFUL), which is much more of a GA airport. We have a 9 (mine), an 8A, and a couple of Thatchers under construction, plus a 6, 9, and 12 flying and based here. Avgas is above $6, you may be able to triple up in a big hangar for about 350/mo if all three planes were pretty small.

Further away are Corona (KAJO) and Chino (KCNO), both great GA airports and we'll established experimental communities.

John Wayne airport (KSNA) would be the closest to Irvine, but would be pretty expensive. I don't even think they have self serve fuel there so plan on buying elsewhere or almost $8 from the truck. I'm at Fullerton airport (KFUL), which is much more of a GA airport. We have a 9 (mine), an 8A, and a couple of Thatchers under construction, plus a 6, 9, and 12 flying and based here. Avgas is above $6, you may be able to triple up in a big hangar for about 350/mo if all three planes were pretty small.

Further away are Corona (KAJO) and Chino (KCNO), both great GA airports and we'll established experimental communities.

Oceanside airport KOKB is about 30 min South of Irvine but if I recall Pete McCoy mentioned finding it to be something like $500/mo for a real wreck of a hangar. It's a convenient location to the 5 freeway but not much of an airport.

Currently, at CNO, Southwest Airport Developement has T's available for $475/mo.
These have power, water and most have restrooms (or at least a toilet).
These are located on the north east side of CNO. County T hangars
go for $290 - $320 depending on size. These have minimal power and no water
or restrooms. These are also on the NE side. Currently there is a waiting list, but
turn over lately has been brisk. Larger hangars for rent for much more $$$$.
Don't know the port a port situation on the central/west side of the airport.
But these have no power. When you know if your are headed west, and are
interested in CNO, PM me and I will update.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like KFUL or KCNO are the better options here. I should have a go/no-go on the move within the next 2-3 weeks, and timing firmed up by the end of January. I'll post an update to this thread once I know more.

Thanks to all, and I hope you're all enjoying a few days off!

Thanks,
Bart

Most mid/south Orange County RVers hangar at Fullerton, Corona, or Chino. I'm a little familiar with the latter two, maybe someone else will chime in about KFUL. T-hangars currently start at $330 at Corona (KAJO) and availability is intermittent. At KCNO, figure on $325 for bare Port-a-port, $450 for tees w/power, up to around $1400 for 60x60. Usually something available.

From Irvine, drive to KAJO 25mi/25min, KCNO 30/30, both via toll road, a bit longer for free. Gas at KAJO is usually cheapest in the area. Several RVs at KAJO, many at KCNO (>30).

You can probably forget about John Wayne (KSNA). Not much chance of getting to the top of the waiting list during your lifetime and the cost will stop your heart.

Merry Christmas.

I lived in Irvine and had an airplane based out of KFUL in the 80's. The I-5 freeway traffic can be nightmarish. Also, the immediate area surrounding the airport is heavily developed which extremely limits your emergency landing site options.

Although the drive to KAJO and KCNO can also be slow, I would prefer these airports over KFUL. I would choose KCNO over KAJO. KAJO is in a flood plain and occasionally has gone under water. Maybe the flooding issue has been corrected, check with the locals before signing a lease.

Last edited:
Back