What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator static

bob888

Well Known Member
I am having intermittent static in the radios that goes away when I switch off the alternator (Plane Power internally regulated). This is not the 'whine' typical of a bad diode but a harsh static loud enough to compromise radio communication. The question is...are these alternators repairable or need to just replace?

I don't have one, but reading here tells me they leave a lot to be desired. I would start by getting your VOM out and confirming that the engine to airframe and engine to alternator grounds are good (< .1 ohms). I have also seen numerous post stating that the 3 pin connector on the PP goes bad and creates an intermittent connection.

Larry

It can be repaired. Mine went out with around 300 hours. Replaced with new under warranty but I opted to go with a B&C instead and sold the new one they sent me.

I am having intermittent static in the radios that goes away when I switch off the alternator (Plane Power internally regulated). This is not the 'whine' typical of a bad diode but a harsh static loud enough to compromise radio communication. The question is...are these alternators repairable or need to just replace?

Static is a funny thing - before you throw the PP alternator into the trash, have a look at the isolation washers under the Mic & Phone jacks...maybe even replace them.

Here's my story - RV-7 started developing intermittent static after a few years in service. This static could be heard on top of received radio transmissions, flying VMC and transitioning in IMC would make it worse/followed turning on the PITOT HEAT; the noise would break the squelch limit on one of the radios.

The root cause, was slight cracking in the isolation washers at the microphone jack on co-pilot side. Some sort of ground-loop developed and the co-pilot mic was fuzzing into the audio system...

Good Luck!

Back