What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching elevator tip ribs

I am having a little problem making out the attachment of the tip ribs to the forward spar. I can tell that the top and bottom flanges of the E904 go inside of the spar flange. I also can tell that eventually the E913 skin will go under the E1001A (top skin). However there are pictures in the plans that if I count the visible holes in the skins it looks as though the E1001B (bottom skin) is under the E913. This wouldn't seem logical. Can someone please confirm that both the top and bottom skins (E1001A & B) overlap the skin of the tip rib and not the other way around or a combination. I am sure it would become evident eventually when riveting but for now I'm scratching my head wondering why the drawing is from the wrong angle to be able to see this.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Bill, you have it right, top and bottom look the same with the elevator skins outside of the tip skin. As I recall it was a tight fit. When you rivet the elevator skin you leave a flap of skin loose at the corner to give to access to rivet the tip on. I suggest leaving out a couple more rivets than what the plans showed, I found access to be difficult. Also, I ended up with a slight (1/16 ") concavity in the rear half of the tip, it is supposed to be straight. Not sure what went wrong, but you might want to watch for this.

-Andy

Just installed the fiberglass fairings on our emp. kit today. I would agree that both top and bottom are the same and elevator skins on top of E-913, as stated above.

Thank you both. Got torn away by nice weather to do yard work. I will go ahead and get it drilled in the morning. Can't wait to do yard work in the rain and fly the 10 when the wx is good.

Hi all.

I'm hitting the same point in the build, and the drawings just don't make clear what part goes inside or outside of what other part.
I have slid the tip skin inside the elevator skin (which this thread says is the right thing :) ), but I'm still left wondering if the E-904 flange should go inside or outside of the front spar (or, does it matter?).

I think this picture illustrates the question:
IMG_20150816_175604.jpg

From bottom to top, it shows the E-1001B elevator skin, E-913 tip skin, E-1002 spar flange, E-904 inboard tip rib - is that the right order, or should the E-904 be below the E-1002 flange along with the tip skin?

Thanks!

Ah, I think I posted too early - found my answer on the first page of the elevator instructions:

xJvasr4XB4s2GP-bKtnFLQcvBj4wnQDOMa4fjG24Q_gZ=w387-h305-no

That shows that this is the correct order :)

The skin would have a rise if you did it the other way. I think those ribs need a spar joggle, but what do I know?

I would have preferred a spar joggle to the molded-in joggle in my tip fairings...

Back