What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage area in back

db8

Well Known Member
Was wondering if anybody has extended the baggage area behind the canopy? I am building an 8, but I think the same ideas could be used for any Vans aircraft. It would be very nice to take golf clubs, a tent, shotgun, fishing rods or something a little longer than the standard (not all at the same time of course). I know weight and CG are :cool: an issue, but just curious if anybody has done it and if they care to share their "engine"uity. Thanks. Dave

Neat

Thanks for the post. I am actually not much of a golfer, though that was a very clever way of doing that. I like to camp, fish and hunt, so I have a few ideas about what I might do with an extended "shelf" or something like that. Still looking for ideas......................... Dave

That (link above) is an awfully complex way of doing things. Have seen a similar concept where a 10-12" tube was extended back toward the empennage to allow skiis, fishing equipment, whole golf bag, etc. to be loaded.

I'm sure there are quite a few different ways you could do something like this. Just remember the failure consequences - something falling down might bind the elevator pushrod. Design and fab accordingly.

fishing pole tube

I used a grey water hose storage tube from a Recreational Vehicle parts house. It is approx 4" PVC tube with brackets glued onto both ends. These brackets have twist to lock endplates (all PVC) and were designed to be bolted to your RV's (camp in kind) bumper. I cut to length and glued the endplates on (you can buy the endplates seperately). Used two pieces of angle bolted to the longerons that capture the rear endplate of the tube and another angle bolted to the rear baggage bulkhead. You can make it as long as you want. It is very lite. You can see it in the upper right hand corner of the picture below. I will post more pictures later tonight or tomorrow if you wish. This was simple and fast to fabricate and best of all very lite.

builderslog0632is4.jpg

Last edited:
Tom, 1) what's the weight of the empty tube, and 2) is the oxygen tank valve/gauge reachable and/or visible from the front seat (assuming this is a pic of your 8 in progress) - and what kind of tank is that (C, D, M, etc.)?

Last edited:
Jeffrey,

The tube itself weighs 2.25 pds. Don't know what the angle i used weighs.

baggagetube002revko0.jpg

As far as the Oxy. It is a "D" bottle. It won't be accessable or viewable in flight. The bottle is in the rear baggage compartment. I'll turn it on before departure and off after landing. I use this bottle in my -6. I can turn off the oxy flow at the flow meters and it doesn't leak.

Thanks

Thanks for your posts. I like the idea of a bigger 10-12" pipe. Then foam could be used if a smaller fishing rod tub were used so it won't bounce around. I just think a big tube might be kind of heavy. Any idea on the thickness of aluminum if one were made? I'd like to somehow extend the flat surface (shelf) back, but have things tied down (so won't dent the fuse in turbulance) or slide back (make a small bulhead). Still pondering. Dave

You might be able to use a bigger tube. But the limiting factor is the contol tube which extends back from the bellcrank to the elevator horn. My set up has plenty of clearance. If you doubled the size of the storage tube, I'm not sure. Also, the same issues apply with extending the hat shelf. Remember the -8 has a front baggage compartment as well. START BUILDING!

extended rear cargo

I have seen some really simple,lightweight "extensions " made from fabric. Make a tube like container similar to the sleeve for a fold-up lawn chair from Cordura,canvas,nylon,ect. and suspend it from the bulkheads with sewn on straps.Very simple and almost no weight.

fixnflyguy said:
I have seen some really simple,lightweight "extensions " made from fabric. Make a tube like container similar to the sleeve for a fold-up lawn chair from Cordura,canvas,nylon,ect. and suspend it from the bulkheads with sewn on straps.Very simple and almost no weight.

One hole in there and you introduce the possibility of getting foreign debris lodged in your elevator bellcrank. NOT the makings for a good day.

You also need to think about weight and balance if you are going to carry much weight back there. I did a "what if" calculation (well, actually Dan Checkoway did it for me with his W&B calculator) figuring the weight of two sets of skis down the tunnel of a 7 (my skis w/bindings weigh 16.5 pounds). It turned out that IF I used an IO360 and a CS prop and put as much weight as possible forward I could do it with adequate fuel to get someplace and still be within the limits. Its amazing how much a pair of skis weighs when you put them on a scale, my full set of golf clubs weigh just short of 11 pounds (Steel Shaft LW, SW, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3hybrid, graphite 3W, Driver), the moment arm will be shorter for the clubs, as the majority of the weight is in the club heads, so that works in your favor. So two full sets of clubs with a folded up travel bag in the baggage compartment should be easily doable. Again - need to do the W&B calculations with fuel and baggage factored in to see what works.

Back