What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transporting RV14A to Airport

Your roads must be better than ours. I spent a lot of time really tying down the airplane to the truck bed. Right hand lane of the interstate is really torn up by the big rig traffic. By the time I arrived at the airport, one wheel chock was gone. Glad I tied the wheels down.

Did you haul that to a painter in pieces to have it painted ? Looks great by the way :)

I didn't and thank you. I painted it myself. It managed to do an OK job but not as nice as professionally painted. I did it in stages since I did not have very much space. The wings were painted many months ago and the fuselage just last week. I did this in my garage which I set up as a paint booth. It cost be about $700 in PPG Concept which I have used before and seems to be kind to non-professionals.

Congratulations. I’m a few hangars over in G10...160 hours on mine but still unpainted. Supposed to go to the shop next month. Stop over.

Tom

Tom, I am pretty sure I saw you very recently. I drove by and saw a really cool looking RV14A with its engine running in the hanger row which I think was G. I look forward to meeting you.

That is really clever.

Nice panel!

Thank you. Credit is really to the Garmin camera. It even records intercom and radio through BlueTooth. No wires. It is amazing how far these things have progressed. I bought mine on eBay.

Next evolution will be to point the camera(s) to the side and capture the expressions of astonishment of your fellow drivers and their passengers.

Your roads must be better than ours. I spent a lot of time really tying down the airplane to the truck bed. Right hand lane of the interstate is really torn up by the big rig traffic. By the time I arrived at the airport, one wheel chock was gone. Glad I tied the wheels down.

I am glad your plane still made it unharmed. I lucked out in that I had a really knowledgeable and careful tow truck driver, and the route to the airport allowed us to avoid freeways. He had 3 inch wide straps and put them in a crisscross pattern so that the plane was locked down in all axis.

I had been stressing over this for months but the actual event was a giant nothing-burger. Then biggest hassle was getting it out of the garage (2 inches too narrow).

Back