What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's in your shop when the RV's done?

chepburn

Well Known Member
Along the lines of 'What's your Day job' I thought I'd start a thread on what your shop has in it after the RV left... I know, I know...some of you are going to say 'ANOTHER RV...' (Some of you may notice the yellow overspray on the floor)

If this isn't RV related enough... feel free to delete this Moderators... (or maybe move it to General if it's deserving)

Well my better half wants a new kitchen, so mine now looks like this:

shop11.jpg

And I'm building these.....
cabinet2.jpg

And a few of these..

sexyback_overlays_sm.jpg

After RV

That's nice work.
When my RV is done, the factory will go back to a furniture factory. I build most of the furniture but stopped to build the RV. Lots more cedar log furniture left to build.

Nice chair.

I just started building a "shop" where my new RV is! I've been in an apartment since I began working years ago so this is the first time I have had a shop or man cave! Loving it! Built a set of 4 EAA1000 benches (2 were smaller from the leftovers). And I'm adding whatever tools I need as I go, to maintain the plane.

That's an 8" bench grinder that is going to go on one of the benches. I also have a beautiful new Wilton vise to keep it company.

500b825b-18de-4eef-86b9-7954fdbc5241_zps029e3800.jpg

85d34a9b-fc39-492e-a074-89a01128cdc3_zps7cc230a5.jpg

20150118_131735_zpsqtf4nxrx.jpg

20150118_135739_zpsgn63f4ss.jpg

1947 Curtis Wright Travel Trailer

Bought this gutted old trailer many years ago with intentions of rebuilding it. Got started but the Rocket came along and took 7 years out of the progress. This summer my son (new teacher) was looking for work and offered to polish the trailer:

Polishing%20Begins%20(600x800).jpg

He got it done and decided teaching is better! Currently working on the exterior, then will get to the inside - it is totally gutted.

Always something interesting going on in our shop when we aren't annualing (or modifying) one of the three RV's!

Fork-Tailed Devil....
P1020169.JPG

Nice Paul. Is that the part you started on first?

No - we did the tail feathers (the two stabilizers, Ruddervators, and the tiny little rudder) first - so they're complete. We'll finish up the fuselage before starting the long, long wings - just to save on storage space. The spar caps are each longer than the total span of the RV-3!

Now we're involved in yet ANOTHER project with a fellow at a neighboring airpark...but at least that is in HIS shop!

A busy shop is a happy shop! :)

It always helps to have a very patient spouse....at least she knows where I am.....

StalkerV6:

chassis-34.jpg

number_twentynine-10.jpg

Then the Legal Eagle:

wing-18.jpg

xl58-4.jpg

With some cedar-strip boats filling in the gaps:

lassie-15.jpg

lassie-25.jpg

1918 Fokker D.VII should be underway soon....

Last edited:
I have a new Meco Oxy Acetylene set up in the hangar and am learning to weld with it in preparation for my next (undecided) project.

Learning%2520to%2520weld%252020150119.jpg

RV done? HAHAHAaa!!! When will that fantasy ever come true? There is always something it needs....and when there isn't....I'm in the air.

Enough free space now in the game room/RV parts warehouse for the latest rc plane....57-in. span P-51D with flaps, lights and retracts (even the tailwheel!). Just need the Santa Ana winds to die down for the maiden flight.

Something familiar about the look of that trailer......................

the-rocketeer.jpg

Ya know Mike, I was thinking the same thing. That actual helmet is now the Sport Class Air Racing Rocketeer Award Trophy (for the largest increase in qual speed over the previous year). Here is my son wearing it?on loan momentarily from another RVer, Tim Cone, who won the award in '13. :) Very cool trailer, by the way! :cool:

IMG_0319.jpg

Fork-Tailed Devil....
P1020169.JPG

Looks good Paul! Meanwhile, I just seem to find ways to "recycle" my RV into this year's project! :rolleyes:

IMG_1428.jpg

And holy cow Sam!! :D

Cheers,
Bob

At the moment it's an Aerovee engine shop...

...followed by the hammerforming of a new fuselage belly former for a Yak 50 (not available from the Old Country), followed by a Fokker DVII coming over for engine baffles, after which I might get to a long-delayed Breezy.

sexyback_overlays_sm.jpg

Chris, that's just awesome!

Bet you don't mind sanding a little fiberglass ;)

Last edited:
Dan, is that engine destined to chase thermals in Nevada? :) Very nice!

Please take lots of photos of the D-VII baffles. Even though I intend to use a Conti I'll still be very interested in what you come up with on Bert's VW installation. Have you considered a plenum?

Last edited:
Dan, is that engine destined to chase thermals in Nevada? :) Very nice!

Please take lots of photos of the D-VII baffles. Even though I intend to use a Conti I'll still be very interested in what you come up with on Bert's VW installation. Have you considered a plenum?

This VW is for a friend's Onex. I figured Nevada Girl would build the motor for the thermal chaser, but I hear she got roped into teaching again ;)

Drag reduction is a very low priority with a DVII, so I'll probably just go with a "lots of cooling mass in the right places" approach. I am building a modified baffle system for the Onex.

Dude, I like those canoes!

My RV is far from done, but lately I've been thinking that my next project will be an Exocet. Might be fun to do some autocrossing from time to time. And their FAW says average build time is about 100 hours, which is a serious walk in the park after an RV build.

While my 12 is still being built, as a winter wimp and while the garage is too cold to do much, I've been thinking about this very topic. Probably something still LSA (unless the FAA wakes up and gives the drivers license medical) and a steel tube fuse. Also, I'll probably be using a Corvair engine for the project and I'd like metal wings.

The Bearhawk LSA is a front runner although I'd really like a side by side. Also in the mix is a Pegazair P80/P-100 (there are 2 Pegazairs locally), a Wag-A-Bond Traveler and the Zenith 750 Cruiser sneaks in just because.

Of course there is the welding (or not)! Not is pretty much where my experience is, or should I say I've never...

Bob

Great looking Breezy, Jeff!

By the way, the Scotty in the corner looks just like the one my wife and I had in the late 70's. :)

Good eye Sam. It's a highly modified Scotty (note the EXPERIMENTAL placard) and has been to more Oshkoshes than most of the airplanes on this forum (mine included.)

Glen L Torpedo

Now that I am no longer flying, I've turned to the "Dark Side" and am building boats in my hangar. This is a Glen L Torpedo, a classic design similar to the older Ventnors. Powered by a 5.7 MPI Crusader engine, I hope to be done for this summer.

Roberta:)

rk0sqx.jpg

Now that I am no longer flying, I've turned to the "Dark Side" and am building boats in my hangar. This is a Glen L Torpedo, a classic design similar to the older Ventnors. Powered by a 5.7 MPI Crusader engine, I hope to be done for this summer.

Roberta:)

rk0sqx.jpg

Uncover the Zip Roberta. What are you showing on next GlenL gathering?

About a month after the RV left the shop, we brought this in:

IMG_0520%2520copy.JPG

About a year later, it looked like this

IMG_0760%2520copy.JPG

Now it looks like this

IMG_0993%2520copy.JPG

and this

IMG_0995%2520copy.JPG

almost as much fun as flying but different :D

Our kitchen is the latest thing out of my shop. Matched grain cherry from sequential panels. The range hood was about 250 hours of work and has a book matched walnut overlay.

image-X3.jpg

i-rNpg7fR

image-X2.jpg

image-X2.jpg

IMG_1066-X2.jpg

IMG_1058-X2.jpg

IMG_1244-X2.jpg

Guy, I am now paying homage. That scratch built Bearhawk is cool!
Some seriously neat projects in this thread

1917 Fokker Dr-1 Triplane

I finished the RV-7 in 2009 and started building a 1917 Fokker DR-1 Triplane from Ron Sands plans in 2012. Instead of aluminum, riveting and fiberglass, I'm working with wood, steel tubing and fabric. The metal cutting blade on the bandsaw is swapped out for a wood cutting blade. Three years into the project -- if the weather is good, I have to fly the RV-7 -- all the ribs are done, I've learned to gas weld (sort of) and I'm nearing completion of the wing spars. I'm hoping to finish up the three box spars in a month or so, then I'll switch to the metal work: welding the fuse together and fashioning brackets.

This picture shows myself (right) and my expert crew making "the big cut" on the spar ladders, trimming 1/8" off each side with the table saw. Similar sort of event to cutting the RV canopy. Two spar ladders = one box spar, three box spars = one triplane. You can see the 60+ ribs hanging behind my head. 13 foot long table specifically for building the spars to the left.

This one is a fun project; no urgency to get it done like I had with the RV.

2qx9jeu.jpg

Someday maybe I'll be flying something like this (but I'll never part with my RV!):

rhk293.jpg

Last edited:
Our kitchen is the latest thing out of my shop. Matched grain cherry from sequential panels. The range hood was about 250 hours of work and has a book matched walnut overlay.

I can't get over how beautiful that kitchen is. My wife spends as much time on Houzz as I do on VAF getting ideas for our retirement home. Must keep her away from this post....

Amazing craftsmanship, Guy!

Keep the tread

I also vote to keep this thread going. This is really motivational and is a testament to the great talents of the RV crowd.

Back