What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RV Hangar Rises......

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
P1000506.JPG

While Louise and I are enjoying the fact that our new home is in the final stretch when it comes to finish (plumbers, painters, electricians, masons, tile guys, appliance installers all in at once...), Mikey, Tsam and the Val are much more excited that their new home is taking shape!

Frame is ready for inspection, roofers and stucco guys descend next....and the Horton door is installed and all ready to go!

50 ft by 65 ft?

Looks good. I like the door...:)

Check with the inspectors if they want a sign off on the nut/bolts torque? That almost got me during my construction.

P1000506.JPG

While Louise and I are enjoying the fact that our new home is in the final stretch when it comes to finish (plumbers, painters, electricians, masons, tile guys, appliance installers all in at once...), Mikey, Tsam and the Val are much more excited that their new home is taking shape!

Frame is ready for inspection, roofers and stucco guys descend next....and the Horton door is installed and all ready to go!

Horton Stack door.
Good choice... we really like ours.

Nice, looks good, it looks like you did your homework facing the door south to melt the snow and ice, our door at KMEV will get ice locked if not maintained with shovels and salt.

Looking very nice Paul. and looks like you have plenty of room!

For next years air races.

Hi Paul, I have the same Horton doors. They only lock from the outside. I have a combination lock that can be opened from either side, that I started to adapt to my hangar door.
Let me know if you have any interest in a lock like this.

Hi Paul, I have the same Horton doors. They only lock from the outside. I have a combination lock that can be opened from either side, that I started to adapt to my hangar door.
Let me know if you have any interest in a lock like this.

PM me your details gasman - sounds interesting. I have been sharing a hangar with this door in Carson City this year, and it took me about a month before realized that, while you can only unlock it from outside, you CAN unlock the adjacent panel from the inside, open it, then step outside to unlock the locking panel. before that, i went out the back door of the hangar and walked all the way around. Sometimes I learn slow.... ;)

Wow! It looks great! How long did it take to get it this far?

Well, after a three month delay on the slab.... The steel started going up a couple weeks ago - the door took them one day to erect.

Send me pictures of each bolt showing at least 1 full thread and confirm that all jam nuts are tight.

Now I did not check every bolt and nut for the number of threads but I did get a few good aerial photos of the Hose-Dye Homestead yesterday.

Send me pictures of each bolt showing at least 1 full thread and confirm that all jam nuts are tight.

Pictures heck - we expect you and Ann to come out and inspect it personally! :D

I hesitated to post this as not being very RV related, but then realized that it IS all-metal construction....

From Rosie: Changed thread title :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not RV Related!!!!

Come on...it's going to house an RV...that's like saying tools aren't RV related...looks great...I spent the weekend working out how to get an RV8, 182, and a Citabria all in a single T-hangar...I did it, pictures will follow later in the week...

Flying vs cutting grass~

It's obvious that you won't be wasting any time cutting grass!

I have the same hangar doors and love them.

Congrats!

Vern

Paul and Louise,
Looks great. Let us know when the open house is scheduled. We need a good trip and that would be a fine excuse for a long flight.

Bernie Weiss
RV9. Flying with 102 hours. Going to paint tomorrow.

P1000506.JPG

Paul, with all that sand, all you'll need is a little water and you'll have nice beach front property!

Looks Great Paul,

I am sure that you and Louise will be very happy and so will the girls...:)
I think your door is a little tall for RV's,,, could have saved some money with only a 7 foot door:)

Lets see I think my RV7 tail is 5'10" yep 7 foot would work. :)

Congratulations Paul

Smilin' Jack

looks good!!!

You are making a lot of progress, Looks good!!
I have a Horton Stack Door,,, love it

Except for the fiberglass doors! :D

Picky, picky....just consider them like an RV's wingtips!

When are you going to fly over and visit Steve? I have yet to see this alleged RV-8 you built.... You're retired - you should have time!

Hanger looks tall. You going to put in a second level or loft? I have helped others put one in their hanger and keep dreaming of one in my hanger some day. would be nice to keep hanger floor clean and shop upstairs out away from airplanes to eliminate hanger rash. Upstair just gets very hot in STL in the summer.

Hanger looks tall. You going to put in a second level or loft? I have helped others put one in their hanger and keep dreaming of one in my hanger some day. would be nice to keep hanger floor clean and shop upstairs out away from airplanes to eliminate hanger rash. Upstair just gets very hot in STL in the summer.

We built it with 16' eves and a 14' hangar door, and yes, we'll build a shop area inside that will hopefully have a mezzanine/storage/finished room above. The fun trick to design is to allow future options without locking into any one of them.

Back