What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Not a problem

Michael, I've got 114 models and momentary contact test positions.

I don't understand the scenario though. What condition would require that?

Michael, I've got 114 models and momentary contact test positions.

I don't understand the scenario though. What condition would require that?

There is a theory that dirty ship's power may give the 113 board problems. Removing the ship's power and forcing internal power ("Test"), will sometimes clear that up. This is why I like the C/B as a "test switch".

Since internal power is "normal" ops for the 114 however (and the board is different), I don't think the scenario applies.

Last edited:
That just made me laugh out loud! A true museum piece you have there!!!

Cheers,
Stein

Easy Stein, some of us around here are museum pieces. :rolleyes: I got my instrument rating with one of those! Really...

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Oh No

Randy, You weren't supposed to show anyone that prototype "D180-Classic" we gave you!

-Robert
Dynon

Dang, in trouble again.:D Buts its the simplest one to operate yet. If you would let me market it I'm sure it will take off.

Stein, I thought you'd like that

Real panel pics will be next, hopefully next week!

Here is the current progress!
002wobc.jpg

Randy
8A

Last edited:
Randy,

I see you have note to self at the top of your panel. :eek: I'm sure I'll hear that same thing from you on Saturday when I help you with the wiring! :D

Woops

Probably should of erased that, unintentional I promise. But good advice non the less. As a point of comparison, this is what my panel has looked like for the last year or so.
img0002fx.jpg

Often when I got in my plane, I would hear Cartmans voice off South Park in the back of my head, "In the ghetto, In the ghetto."

Randy
8A

Dirty ship's power may give the 113 board problems. Removing the ship's power and forcing internal power ("Test"), will sometimes clear that up. This is why I like the C/B as a "test switch".

Since internal power is "normal" ops for the 114 however, I don't think the scenario applies.

Michael, I also have a pullable CB in the cockpit for each P-Mag to remove ship's power when needed.

Should be good to go then.

Also, the "dirty power" thing is just a theory at this point, not fact. I've had some issues (which are isolated to ONE airplane only) which can be cleared up by switching off the ship's power to force the ignition to internal power.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/strahler13/NewPanel111-crop_zpsb4da35c3.jpg

So, here's a shot of my new panel. I stayed with the cherry wood veneer with three coats of tung oil. Used decal maker for the lettering. What we have is a Dynon Skyview with auto pilot, a Garmin 480 with a MidContinent annunciator, a Garmin Area 510, a PS Engineering Par 100 Audio Panel/Com, aTru Trak Gemini PFD, a VM 1000 and a EC100, a Trig TT31 Mode S transponder, Carb air temp and Outside air temp and chonograph. Three GPS sources, one Nav source and the ability to monitor four frequencies at one time.

All of the credit goes to Jon Abar and Dane Patterson, fellow Falcon RV Squadron mates. They did all the work. I held lights, ran to ACS and wrote checks to the vendors. Now all I have to do is learn how to operate everything. Comments welcomed.

Here it is

I flew behind steam gauges for 300 hours and just finished my upgrade. There is going to be a learning curve but I have a couple hours flying behind this and am really liking it. [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/003epj.jpg/][/URL]

The only problem with the advice top centre is if you do FU that sign will probably be the last thing you see - quite ironic;)

Looking at the mounting screws across the top of the panel, my guess is that the unit is offset to the right a bit.

Centered Skyview

Mike is right - it is ever so slightly off center. The braces for the radio stack are set to the left as far as they can go, sitting in the plane it works well for me. :)

Is it possible to flip the screen display so that the engine instruments are on the right? Then the EFIS would be nearly dead center.

Beautiful panel, BTW.

Best,

Flipping the screen

The beauty of the Dynon is you can arrange the panel in lots of different configurations. If you look closely I only have about 13 hours on the plane and am still doing phase 1 flight testing - the engine instruments have been real important for me to read and record CHT's and EGT's. I also dont have the map "up" on the screen at this time either. Thanks for the thoughts on the panel guys!

Doug

Here is installed on my plane

Hi folks,

I think I will be ready to fly again in about 2 week:D, this have been lot of work and pain to upgrade my panel, but I am very happy with result.

imageduvx.jpg

Those are some big hills!

Freakin' gorgeous panel -- and I'm impressed by the hills on your terrain display, too!

Lighting

I see that you have a strip light under your dash (white). Where did you find it? I have bought the so called white led stip lights but they are actually a blue color and yours looks to be white.

Dave

I see that you have a strip light under your dash (white). Where did you find it? I have bought the so called white led stip lights but they are actually a blue color and yours looks to be white.

Dave

I bought them locally here in Chile, I think you should be able to find them on eBay

P1010505.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Garmin G3X (harness by Stein), GDL-39 wired in, 2 ICOM A-210s, GX Pilot autopilot, PS Engineering PMA4000 audio panel, Alpha Systems AOA indicator, Garmin GTX 327. Water-slide decals.

Dave

This is my RV-8 panel. It is a Garmin G3X system with a GTN650, SL40, GMA240 GTX23ES, GDL39 and GX-Pilot.

578bc752-5d02-492c-867d-dc436ec3ad4f_zps8293d2ef.jpg

Very nice Christer!

Something to be said when a guy that builds panels for a living using all the manufacturers gear makes a selection for his own aircraft.

Updated Panel Pictures

Some time ago I upgraded the panel in my -8 to change the EFIS displays from GRT WS units to 1 GRT HS (top) and HX (bottom). I'm just now getting around to posting the pictures

DSC_2822small.JPG

DSC_2832small.JPG

The passenger still gets a WS:

DSC_2179small.JPG

Skylor
RV-8
N808SJ, Flying

Final Product

This is the way it finally ended. Works great with the only remaining issue is the airspeed indicators are around 12 knots slow at cruise. Looking for the kink!

87E3B745-F5FF-4AE4-8F04-176F24BF639D-7935-000014D4F22C9E8D.jpg

Panel upgrade

Before

21l3ler.jpg

After

2v3hkqa.jpg

Transponder is a Trig 22 controlled through the HXr, Wx and traffic using a Skyradar D2 ADSB receiver. GRT and SteinAir are both highly recommended!

RV-8 Rear Cockpit Panel

Latest cool RV-8 addition. Graphite instrument panel for RV-8. Snaps right in. I just use velcro to attach iPhone, mini iPad or GPS

7y6b.jpg

Dave Casey
RV-8 N317DC
Just completed Phase I, in paint shop now!

Last edited:
Got it figured out...I hope

I started messing with the panel and hope the layout will be good. I liked Jeff Mitchell's overall layout and tried to mimic it..sort of.

I have the D180 in the center, HS34 and AP74 to the right and left, the 3/18 A/S and then 2 1/4 compass to the left of that, where the bottom of the instruments will be on the same horizontal, and then on the right of the AP74, the same configuration with the Alt and G-meter.

Below the D180 will be the Airgizmo dock for the G496. To the left of that will be the GTX327 and the Sl 40 above that, and then the VP100 with the PMA to the right of the G496.

I tried to keep it as symmetrical as possible.

I cut the original blank without the PMA5000 and tested the HS34, D180 and the G496 today. Bill at Up north aviation is cutting my new panel for me. After a couple of days, i'm happy with the design.

2luzxiw.jpg

For some reason, the D180 HSI isn't getting a GPS fix? I'll refer to the manual for that.

Back to the fuse!

Last edited:
Making knee room

Hey guys,
Does anyone see a problem with this mod?
I'm 6'-5" and have started sitting in my QB fuselage and was a little concerned about the mounting/dismounting gyrations I would have to do...my long legs and size 13 feet can't be pulled back to the spar because my knees hit the bottom of the panel. So I started looking into modifying the panel.
Are there any concerns that I don't know about that would make this setup inpractical? :confused:
Thanks.
IMG_2862_zps27431f63.jpg.html

(This was originally posted in "Show us the status of your project")
IMG_2862_zps27431f63.jpg

Last edited:
Hello??? Was it something I said?
Bueller?....Bueller?....Bueller?....

Was hoping for some constructive feedback from my fellow builders....

We haven't done one exactly like that, but a customer in Colorado (ColoRV) had us do a custom RV8 panel for him recently where we recessed the bottom of the panel. I don't know if he's posted any pictures of it or not...but Bill, if you're out there - perhaps you could help this guy out?

I don't know if he's far enough along with his panel to post pictures, but at least he could show you what we did with the bottom of it. We've done this before in the past as well, but I just don't happen to have any good pictures handy at the moment!

Cheers,
Stein

Bruce,

When I first saw the picture you posted my first thought was "are you out of your mind?" But when I read your post I realized it was indeed a valid question. Dude, you do need to get in and out of your airplane.

Looking at it more, I like it. I have no idea if the instrument panel is considered to be structural, but given how some folks cut them up, I wouldn't think Van would rely on that for strength.

If you can fit all your gear in the top part I guess I don't see anything bad about it, but I assume the bottom is butting up against the horizontal brace back there and it would be tough to fit much into the lower part.

Looks pretty cool though! :D

Back