View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 AM

Flew up to look at a Hiperbipe armed with the knowledge that the glue joints in some aircraft were subject to age related failure. Opened up the wings and sure enough, the master ribs and corner blocks were separated from the skin and spars. When shown this, the owner didn't seem phased at all and even admitted he'd never removed the inspection covers in the 10 years he owned the airplane. In any case, he didn't think that this was an issue, and he sure wasn't going to adjust his asking price for something as trivial as a complete rebuild of 4 wings. Needless to say, I walked away from that one. This airplane would pop up from time to time on the forums and I told several perspective buyers about the problems I found. Last I heard it was destroyed in a ground loop during a demo flight (!) for another potential buyer.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD