What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonehead Composites Center Tunnel and Quadrant

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I have spent the last couple of weeks getting my center tunnel and throttle quadrant from Bonehead Composites fit and finished in my 7. Overall I am very happy with the outcome and quality of the products Chris makes. The Tunnel needed a little bit of work and needed to have a few inches taken out of it and then a strap had to be fabricated to hold the two pieces together. As far as the Throttle quadrant goes, other than mounting the quadrant it dropped right into place with no modifications needed.

Overall I am very happy with the outcome and just wanted to help Chris out show another example of his excellent product.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

-david

No centre console for me!

It sure looks nice, but I prefer to keep the space down there free of these obstructions. I have not fitted a "sub panel" to leave me as much legroom as posible.

Although I am not a big guy, on long solo XC trips it allows me to stretch my legs to the other side, or pull the up, etc. anyway, move around a lot. Also it allows me to move to the other side (AP on, passenger stick removed) for example to have more room to comfortably use "a bottle"........
Ventilation/heating under the panel area works better also when the area is more open.

To show a new passenger how to get in, I always get in on their side. After that, I just slip over to my side, that would be difficult with a centre console.

Everybody should install what he likes though.

Regards, Tonny.

Sweet! looks great. Even cleaner then mine I think. Now I'll have to do it over again..... DANG!!

Rudder Cables

David,

What kind of info do you have on the rudder cable covers? As in what are they, size, bought where, etc...

Thanks!

David,

What kind of info do you have on the rudder cable covers? As in what are they, size, bought where, etc...

Thanks!

Bob, the rudder cable covers are just some simple PVC Tubing that fit in the pre existing holes. I chose to go with some thin walled tubing that is designed for the DIY air hoses that people run in their garages or shops, It is very light weight and very flexible. The builder behind my hanger ran his all the way past the aft bulkhead however I cut mine off half way into the baggage compartment. Hope this helps.

-david

David, that center section looks great. The floors look nice too. Since I haven't even started my wings - they should be here tomorrow, the cockpit looks weird without the panel there. With the panel in, I can figure it out! Nice paint on the rudders and stick. That adds to the look.

Hurry and get your plane flying so you can come on out and help me when I get to the fuselage!!

Looks great

David,

What did you put under the floors to keep the flex of the panels to a minimum? I am getting ready to install mine and was curious how you did your's.

Thanks

David,

What did you put under the floors to keep the flex of the panels to a minimum? I am getting ready to install mine and was curious how you did your's.

Thanks

I riveted some angle to the pre existing stiffeners which allowed for nut plates to be installed. Also I plan on putting some 3/4 inch insulating foam from aircraft spruce underneath to help insulate and provide a little more support.

Are you going with the same setup? If so post some pictures and ask some questions if you need some help, I'll do what I can. There's a bunch of pictures on my website so make sure you check it out.

-David

Install

I am going with the kind of solution, angle with nut plates. The floor covers have just even flex that I am want to make sure there isn't a mushy feel when it is completed.

I am going to put insulation underneath, but I do think that will be enough. Once I get moving down that road I will post a few pictures. Right now I am still pondering the situation.

Back