What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-7/9 carbon fiber panels

Geoff,

Any prices yet? If so, what is included for the price? Are you accepting orders in advance?

Thanks,

Hello Aerosport1,

You mentioned the pictures relates to a slider. Can you post something for the Tipup. Also please provide preliminary pricing if pricing is not yet set. Thanks

JC

Here are answers to some questions.
At this time we are not planning on doing anything for the RV-8.
Prices are not set as of yet but will be somewhere between 775.00 to 900.00.
With this you will get the carbon panel and the aluminum sub panel
Which the carbon panel mounts to.
I will post some pictures of the tip up early this week.

Geoff

Here are some pictures of the tip up
0_0_0149b623a7c3fcc888f3e2229b74d849_1

0_0_85c01feed94db797b28ec5b7f9e3c357_1

Geoff

What supports these panels?

What I am asking is do they require an aluminum backing or sub-structure for support and rigidity? Any pictures of how the 7/9 panels mount?

Thanks!

Mark if you do to the link below it is the instructions for the RV-10 panel install. The RV-7 and 9 will be similar. You will have a aluminum subpanel
that will be attached to the airframe the same as the stock IP panel and then the carbon gets attached to that. Go to panel.2pdf

http://www.aerosportproducts.com/doc.htm.

Hope this helps Geoff

Geoff,

Love the asymmetrical panel. Three questions:

1. Does it come in another color? Not a fan of the tan.
2. Are the 2 AFS EFIS' the 8.4"
3. What are the knobs below the throttle quadrant?

Question....

Does the non-symmetrical version push the radio stack too far over to allow the certified GPS to be legal as its own annunciator?

The GPS annunciation is also displayed on the EFIS screen (LPV, +V.....)

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems inc.

Geoff,

Love the asymmetrical panel. Three questions:

1. Does it come in another color? Not a fan of the tan.
2. Are the 2 AFS EFIS' the 8.4"
3. What are the knobs below the throttle quadrant?

1.The panel is carbon fiber and you can clear coat it and leave it with the
carbon fiber or paint it any color you wish
2.Those are the AFS 8.4 screens the symmetrical panel can hold the 10"
3.Knobs below the throttle are for ALT AIR, HEAT or any thing else. They are set back from the throttle, Mixture and prop

Geoff

Here are the final designs and a picture of the Asymmetrical mold being cut on our Large CNC. Should be ready for delivery starting in April. There will
be a couple of the Asymmetrical panels on display at Sun & Fun.
0_0_cac334d56734b9ae293a1dda9be1be6c_1

0_0_91d61ff92e49f9b9b9e58a2ec4c9507a_1

0_0_b61d11cdc85d48d34dafd9eb484860c9_1

Geoff
http://aerosportproducts.com

Geoff,

Looks great. Waiting for the symetrical version for a tipper. These all look like they are setup for vernier cables. How do we handle throttle quadrants?

Also, is the carbon weave visible? (edit: looks like you answered this in post #64) Can't tell in the pics. I just want to clear coat after labeling and get that effect.

Thanks,

Last edited:
RV-8?

I asked some time ago if you were thinking doing something for the 8 and you said not at that time. How about this time? Have you or would you please consider designing something for the RV-8. If you are interested in doing that I can suggest a photo or 2 that may give inspiration.

Gerry.

I'm torn between the two designs.

With the assymetric, is a GNS430 or GTN going to be a reach to see/manage vice having it in the middle? Been a dozen years since I last flew an RV and really can't remember.

Otherwise I'm ready to cut you a check for a symmetric with G3X cutouts :D

Sean we plan to have an center armrest console that will hold a throttle
quadrant but we are still working on that design. It looks like most RV-7/9
are verniers so we concentrated on that first. There are some ergonomics
to work thru on the center console and quadrant.

Gerry inspire me. I will take a good look at the RV-8. I would love to have one.

Having the 430 off to the right on the Asymmetrical panel is not a problem.
it is about the same distance as my RV-10 panel and I love the layout
0_0_00c82a3ab0b7786996dbe62bd577d910_1

Geoff

G3X two screen with backup instruments

Any way to get some CAD drawing? I realize the effort you have put into these and don't want the files to recreate, rather to get the layout right on the final panel before purchase. Plan is 2 G3X and maybe Gemini or simple altimeter/airspeed/ADI. Will probably need the asymmetrical panel, RV-7 Slider. Thanks.

Rob

we plan to have an center armrest console that will hold a throttle quadrant but we are still working on that design. It looks like most RV-7/9 are verniers so we concentrated on that first. There are some ergonomics to work thru on the center console and quadrant. Geoff

Ooooh, I am soooo interested in this setup. I would even delay my progress to wait for something like this. You have nice products sir, very nice indeed.

I will be at Sun & Fun next week and we will have 1 panels on display as
demo panels in the AFS booth and 1 at the Avionics systems booth. We will start taking orders the week after Sun & fun for all RV-7 and 9 panels. Deliveries will start in Mid April. Both Asymmetrical and Symmetrical panels will be available.

Contact me at the AFS booth at Sun & Fun for more information

Keep watching Our web page to order or call us after Sun & Fun.

Geoff
Aerosport Products

Inspiration

Hi again Aerosport1,

By way of the inspiration you asked for, here are some photos of Jim Gray?s outstanding RV-8 cockpit. Jim has spent a lot of time getting the ergonomics right. If maybe a 3 section (or one) panel could be produced along these lines with those very cool side mouldings that blend into the main panel to house switches / cb?s throttle quadrant (I have the left hand Andair quadrant which is very cool) etc. Like Jim, I sit in a Boeing all day (and night!!!) and Jim?s design ticks all of my ?professional? look needs which is why i find it so pleasing. There is a lot of Boeing there.

Jim has focused on symmetry and I think that is the most important feature of a good looking RV-8 panel.

Rightview.jpg

Leftview.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o575/GerryinOz/Centreview.jpg

Waiting

Geoff - Any ETA on the symmetrical panels? Waiting here with two AFS 5600's to wire up! - Mark Bengel, Tennessee

Wanted to add a pic of G3X RV-10

I saw this post and had to add to it. I have Geoff's panel in my ten and really love it. It finishes the plane nicely and have had countless comments on it. I thought it was easy to install and had a place for everything. It really takes away the utilitarian look of the airplane and is light weight.

mvkids.jpg

Got my symetrical Panel!

Symmetrical panel finally arrived. Fit and finish are excellent... no need to paint, a couple of coats of clear and you're done. The AFS 5600's fit like a glove. - Mark

DSC00846.JPG

Last edited:
Symmetrical panel finally arrived. Fit and finish are excellent... no need to paint, a couple of coats of clear and you're done. The AFS 5600's fit like a glove. - Mark

DSC00846.JPG

It looks like it might be tight, but would a Dynon D10 (as a back up/ extra efis) fit to the left of your left seat 5600? Thinking about this in a future panel.

It looks like it might be tight, but would a Dynon D10 (as a back up/ extra efis) fit to the left of your left seat 5600? Thinking about this in a future panel.

Yes it will just fit. It is tight as you said but will work.

RV-7/9 panels are available now ordering direct. They will be on the web site by the end of the week. Call Aerosport Products for more info. 614-834-8659
Allow between 2-3 weeks for delivery at this time.

Geoff

questions

Geoff,

Any updates on symmetrical with throttle quadrant for T/U 7? Also curious on the following?

Do you provide inserts for dual Dynon 10" Skyviews?
Are those inserts available in a variety of materials?
Do you provide the service of making the cuts for switches, vents, etc.?
If I use Stein's vents, what size fits your panel?

Thanks...ready to buy.

Geoff,

Any updates on symmetrical with throttle quadrant for T/U 7? Also curious on the following?

Do you provide inserts for dual Dynon 10" Skyviews?
Are those inserts available in a variety of materials?
Do you provide the service of making the cuts for switches, vents, etc.?
If I use Stein's vents, what size fits your panel?

Thanks...ready to buy.

since geoff is probably slammed, I can help with this based on my experience:

1. Yes he can CNC cut inserts to your liking, and has most of the dimensions for typical avionics on file, he did this for me- i highly recommend
2. I would guess yes, but I would also say you have to consider this adds to the setup/tooling/trouble time so the cost would go up, I will let him chime on on this one, if he can't, I know Chris and Bonehead can do custom panels on flat sheets of carbon
3. Yes but easy to do yourself, I just did mine....dremel and patience and some sandpaper and you can get a nice fit yourself
4. The smaller vents stein sells fits the panel

The panels look amazing. I am about to start.....so looking forward to ordering one when I get there

Cam W
RV7a Dreaming
Sydney, Aus

I have had a number of request for a carbon fiber panel like the RV-10 panels we make. We are in the final design of the Symmetrical slider panel for the
RV-7 and 9. Looking for a little feed back. We still have a few items to sort out but this is very close to the final design. We will also have a option for the throttle quadrant. This panel has 2 AFS 5600 screens in it which shows the amount of real estate in the panel.
We are also working on a A symmetrical panel which will have 2 screens in front of the left seat pilot. These panels will be an easy install in new or upgrading flying aircraft.

0_0_4537697ebf450b2dfd2c7ed976e827d8_1

0_0_6aafd53333fd26e220cf266108499baa_1

Just curious. With the GTN-650, you don't need the transponder in the panel like you have here, right?

Switches

I like the look of these panels. Not yet sure if it is worth the $$ for me, but I still have time to decide. I'm curious about the rocker switches. I realize that these are sold by the aerosport, but I tend to like the engraved type better. Would it be possible to install the engraved type or is it really setup for the rocker switches that create a module? Has anyone looked at the dimensions of other types of switches relative to the switch cutout areas? Just curious.

Just curious. With the GTN-650, you don't need the transponder in the panel like you have here, right?

That is correct....and you need not buy the "remote head" to do it....the standard GTX's work just fine and are much cheaper.

Regarding switches, while the large contura/apem boat switches are attractive to some, we prefer the honeywell AML's for a whole host of reasons (but we've installed plenty of both). They are much more robust, the lighting is superior, and you can install a LOT more AML's over the plastic conturas.

There are some examples HERE - though they are RV-10's it'll show you what they look like.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Which ones in particular?

we prefer the honeywell AML's for a whole host of reasons

The entire range in general or one particular kind.

there is the series from the 10s, 20s, to the 70s.

Are anyone of these beteer than the rest?

Last edited:
Thanks Stein I didn't realize how big those switches were. The pics help figure that out. I was thinking along the line of the AML switches too.

That is correct....and you need not buy the "remote head" to do it....the standard GTX's work just fine and are much cheaper.

Regarding switches, while the large contura/apem boat switches are attractive to some, we prefer the honeywell AML's for a whole host of reasons (but we've installed plenty of both). They are much more robust, the lighting is superior, and you can install a LOT more AML's over the plastic conturas.

There are some examples HERE - though they are RV-10's it'll show you what they look like.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Why are the remote heads more $? And if you get the standard Xponder, can you still remote mount it if you have the GTN-650 (for panel space reasons).

Why are the remote heads more $? And if you get the standard Xponder, can you still remote mount it if you have the GTN-650 (for panel space reasons).

I see the remote heads are a couple hundred dollars more than the standard. Can I remote mount a standard GTX?

Back