What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII install

Rhino889

Well Known Member
I went with all Bonaco Lines in the fuel system aft of Fire wall.

Just wanted to post and see if anyone can see an issue with this install? Being the fuel system, I'd like comments or ideas.

dfe73452.jpg

8b913b49.jpg

8e5b91a8.jpg

11065843.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

Suggestion

Scott, install looks very nice. I will plan something similar. Couple of thoughts-if you flip the filter clamp to the inboard mounting hole of the unit, might be easier to reach the bolt when it's time to change the filter. Also, if you move it to the inboard, the line from the filter to the pump could be flipped to the outside and under the filter. That would move the line farther away from your left foot. You may have already tried it and may not work for something I'm not seeing. Looks good--I'm going to copy it!

Steve
Skyking902001
RV-8 in progress

Last edited:
Is that #2 wire running from your battery? I'd prefer some more distance between it and fuel lines. After all, that wire isn't fused and as I understand it if damaged and grounded will arc and melt metal around it as not not conduct electricity anymore. I'd sure prefer that melting not be the fuel line. But then again, I'm not familiar with your model, so maybe they are all that way. -Jim

I have two questions, what is the blue tape for and how are you fastening the pump to the floor? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am a noob and will soon be venturing down this road myself.

I have two questions, what is the blue tape for and how are you fastening the pump to the floor? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am a noob and will soon be venturing down this road myself.

I had the same question about the blue tape. If tape is required would it be available in another color? That color seems to almost match the dye in 100LL. A different color might make leak detection easier.

George

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I should have explained that the "lines" right now are just rope with tape for measurement purposes. The Battery cable is hanging free at this time and will be secured later. The pump will be mounted with nutserts (thanks Steve).

Steve, I like your idea about simply moving the filter mount bolt inboard for easier work later on.

Bonaco saw my post and called today with some suggestions. (Great customer service!) Right now I'm working on possibly mounting the filter before the gear tower and connected directly to the 90 degree elbow. I have some concerns regarding the alignment and proximity of the fuel line carry through hole in the gear tower. This would "clean up" the install a little and require 1 less fuel line (filter 180 back to the pump).

I'll update with which direction I take and after the final install.

Thank,

Scott

Side mount w/ front-to-back fuel flow

Here's how we did ours:

IMG_3179.JPG

We built a mounting bracket from angle stock that bolts to the top and bottom of the longeron. A mounting plate is riveted to those angles. The angles are on the diagonal of the mounting plate. The pump module bolts to the plate. A cover plate is bolted on, and an angle goes across the inner top of the module as a mount for the fuel filter clamp.

Fuel flows through the filter, into the forward end of the pump module, out the back of the module and then forward to the firewall. This avoids small radius bends on both ends of the system.

I'm pretty happy with the way this came out. Strong. Looks very neat, everything tucked up out of the way of feet and rudders but still easy to get in and out for service.

Fuel Lines

Well I would make the following modifications. I would position the aft fuel line so that it goes straight back through the gear tower which will allow you to move the entire assembly aft. That will give you better clearance for the fuel line loop forward of the assembly which already looks like a problem.

Pat

Fuel Filter install

Having installed this system on a customers aircraft while doing an FI install we had concerns about the ?6 fittings installed in the fuel filter. To our amazement there was nothing keeping these fittings in place other than the friction of a rubber grommet. You could simply pull the fitting out of the filter. So if the fittings were not physically held in place by use of hard plumbing or captured by the design of the device holding the filter, the fittings could come out of the filter. The other concern was the material that the rubber grommet was made from. Since it appeared to be a black rubber we did not know its compatibility with all fuel and the life of this material. Since we were using Teflon hoses on these connections this type of design was to us, unacceptable for an aircraft installation. The filter was replaced with a design that had AN type O-ring fittings in the housing of the filter.

Don

Pump install

Here's my install. Don't think the fittings on the filter will be a problem.
MUU0Nzk5RTk3MUNCQzcxQjkzNzY6ZTMyYjJkZjE5YTAzNzU1MzFjZWE0MmUzNTFlZmRjZmU=

Last edited:
Filter

Actually, there is no pressure in the filter since it is on the suction side of the system before the pump.

We have a new super duty rebuildable filter in the works.
It is a very nice piece. It will be available in about three months.

Robert

Back