What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Z-Bracket Layout

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Don't want to bring this up yet again, but doing my research on the Tank Z-Brackets, there is one little bit of info that I wasn't clear on.

Using the Hurlbut/D.C method. Does a person locate the initial 1/8" diameter hole dead center in that exposed top side of flange? or does a person measure center on the bottom side (Where the bracket face meets the spar) I see that some say that their socket clearance requires that it moved outward 1/16" off center.

It seems the process was better described a number of years ago but that information now seems to be getting tough to find.

What proved to be the best way of placing the initial hole.

Last edited:
I followed Jason Beaver's build site (he used what used to be known as the "Checkoway" method before Dan corrected us). Here's a paragraph from by build log:

I started out by positioning the center bolt hole on one flange of each z-bracket. This hole on the most inboard bracket is located 1/16" AWAY from the flange centerline to allow a socket to be used to torque the bolts for final installation. The other 6 z-brackets have this hole located 1/16" TOWARD the flange, which has the effect of moving the rivet holes that much farther from the bracket web to allow more room for use of a rivet puller when attaching the tank baffles.

It worked great. If I ever build another set of tanks, I'll do it the same way.

I just finished my z brackets after heavy reading. Miles' site is great. I also referenced these two:

http://www.rv7-factory.com/?p=1333
http://rv-7construction.com/2010/09/11/started-fuel-tank-z-brackets-91110/

There are seven brackets on each wing. I numbered the bracket closest to the fuselage 1 and farthest from the fuselage 7. On bracket number 1 I drilled 4/16" from the bracket edge. On brackets 2 through 6 I drilled 5/16" from the edge. Everything looked great when I lined up the tank with leading edge and match drilled z brackets to baffles.

Fair warning - I haven't pop riveted the tanks in place yet, so the whole plan may fall apart.

Bob
2016 Dues Paid

Last edited:
Ahh ok. I'm getting it

The pieces are starting to fall together. :D:D So if I did follow the 1/16" offset way of doing things. You would find the exact center of the flange (as viewed from the aft of the bracket). This was the part that I was scratching my head over.

Like this then, correct??
Z%2Bbrackets.bmp

Garet, your drawing shows exactly what I did: offset from the centerline as measured on the outside of the flange.

Thanks

Awesome!! Thanks for the input guys.:D:D It was throwing me off looking at the construction logs as some have drawn the center lines on different faces of the flange.

P.S. Go Broncos!

What to check for:

Most of the fasteners screw in from the bottom side, the most inboard Z bracket fastens from the top. There is a close tolerance when placing a socket on with the vertical side of the z bracket. You can check this tolerance by placing a socket where the fastener will be to ensure that the socket will fit. You can also use a washer of equivalent diameter to the socket to find the required clearance and hole center.

Great Diagram Aero!

I'm just getting ready to do this; you've cleared it up for me...

Back