What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycomng E3D engine

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if a Lycoming 0-320 E3D is a good choice for an RV-9A? This engine came out of a Cherokee 140 maybe a 1972 model. From what I can tell it is the same as an 0-320 E2D except for the prop bushings are 3/8 instead of 7/16 inch. So I am assuming the prop bolts on with 3/8 bolts. Both engines have the same front main bearing as an 0-235 it seems. I don't know if that is OK or if it makes any difference. I will put new cylinders on it and increase the HP to 160 if possible. The cylinders have the thicker base which I am told means you can increase the HP on that engine. I don't know if that means anything either since I will be using new cylinders. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
It will be an ideal engine. Probably a good idea to split the case & check the bottom end when you install the new cylinders. You might also consider reaming the carb main jet by 0.005" to 0.007" to keep your CHTs down.

Pete

Not constant speed capable, otherwise it should work out OK. Prop mounting dowels, in the crankshaft, are changeable, so you can easily change to other prop bolt sizes if necessary. It should have a fuel pump or at least the drive pad, but I would double check that it does, before purchase, if not having an engine driven fuel pump would be an issue for you.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

E3d

I love the E3D it's a little bullet proof work horse! You need to verify which crank it has. The last two I ran across including the one I have now have hollow cranks and with a few bucks, a case & crank mod you can drive a constant speed. Try and get all the info you can on the engine before you purchase it. The front bearing also has options.

E3D and E2D are pretty much identical (both have 3/8" prop bolts) but that can be changed. The E3D should have the fuel pump. It's the E2D that may not have it. I have increased the compression to 9.5:1 and am getting about 175 hp at 2725 rpm. Been running mine for 13 years. First installed it had 2500 hrs on it. I flew it 3 years and rebuilt it @2815 TT first run. When I tore it down all parts met servicable limits. Har to beat this engine.
BTW, Craig will build your prop to any size bolt. Mine are 1/2". Anything OVER 160 hp should use 1/2" bolts.
Mel...DAR

I too have an E3D for my 9, when I finish it that is. My Dad had one in a Cherokee which he had very good luck with. That is what drove me to find an E3D for my RV. He had the high compression pistons and the cylinders were flow matched. It was such an increase after the overhaul, we had to get the prop re-pitched.

Last edited:
Good choice for an 8?

Considering the proven reliability and the 175HP that Mel is pumping out of his wouldn't this be a good choice for my 8?

I am a good size guy and weight on the nose is a major consideration for me. This would make it much easier to manage the CG and require considerably less ballast in the back (if any).

I know most people want the biggest monster they can hang on the front and I would too if it weren't for the above mentioned issue.

Being around racing I also know that if the weight is kept down smaller can compete with bigger.

How much would my Vertical Climb suffer from using a 180HP+ engine? I woudl assume the larger engines woud have more torque.

Donald
RV-8 Empennage
N-284DP Reserved

Thanks

Thanks Mahlon. Excellent resource.

Does anyone out there have this engine on an 8?

Donald Prater
RV-8 Empennage (QB on order very soon)
N-284DP (Reserved)

Back