What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

I'd like to add to the wish list ... how about an on-screen TO/GA button on the AP menu or even better a floating TO/GA button when on an approach, that would be great!

TAXI LIGHT 50% OF Landing Light Pwr

I guess this would require physical changes to the GAD27, maybe not..

I would appreciate if the box could regulate Landing Lights (or one of the lights and switch the other one off) to 50% power output (PWM) or user adjustable power output with a flip of a switch command to be able to use the very same lights for taxi + take off/land + wig wag.

Not sure if this would be for the GAD 27 or G3X;
It would be really nice to be able to retract flap fully (in case of go around or similar) or even dump flap fully by some means other than keeping your finger on the flap switch held.
Perhaps if it the flap switch is held more than a second or two to retract it fully.

Not sure if this would be for the GAD 27 or G3X;
It would be really nice to be able to retract flap fully (in case of go around or similar) or even dump flap fully by some means other than keeping your finger on the flap switch held.
Perhaps if it the flap switch is held more than a second or two to retract it fully.

Hello Mehrdad,

If we understand your request, there are already 2 ways to do this on your RV. Our RV-7A has a switch that is momentary contact for putting the flaps down, and sustained contact for flaps up. Bump it once for each position on the way down (or bump twice for full flaps), and flip the switch up to fully retract. If you want to only retract to just the partial flap position, just flip the switch up and then back to center and it will only retract to the partial position.

The second method, which I prefer, is a relatively new capability discussed in this posting. Just install a 3 position flap switch and put the flaps in any position you like.

pZA-EaEPdWehTkaocgy7CShcNtN9t-8a6dDtffuonyy2eD8wlHm2U911HShYZM86zi1XYALmp9A4xmu8BCrAySLUvgHVYpVg7sRnHqSswzvmhNRLeIbXijkHWof-7tKYM_R0gxCcqFcy-MkFMtd9FF3CZSh9Ymr7mb0PyHxRvviAmMF2jk_3jI3Y6Xbn4rr1mO6mnfIgQagw98XdPWUaA6hympdAjm6f1dh1CT37ZMQt2wWKujCa7m2hlirF9abeAPvsakUae-oeimQcEeZCXQsKGv5XFoBbH7hzzUG44TQJ71KiT37UBC6DFFabcLcrqltfJzubM1lC8wl-oQiusGZiqjftSTk4dDb38eGZ_Ht4mj6Q4cbMmc8CLLJThlhkD9wY6BFkr-DDJ3pgcuihAQ1WFIzbB2L225GHPwA0e3NGzlETu7EngaDTyOvRb7IdaKkau6tt777p1SlRQDUG32blkYJ__nl07ehwwRdD1lnapf59teszrbcaN2uQ4-m6BO6Gko-bZMo-XclMam_QlINJLUVlhB23_wZixvXs_iBrBXOimz6pM6Yxq_h4vQO2iyjh3fZlihoEMd5Wkv6qGCszpBETHf34TCoSNhJxjWrLOAUa9bc0uCq8ZzWMbwR1eTnNwETQ0yzU2a7qD2f0Hf1S-CM_fQ=w739-h453-no

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mehrdad,

If we understand your request, there are already 2 ways to do this on your RV. Our RV-7A has a switch that is momentary contact for putting the flaps down, and sustained contact for flaps up. Bump it once for each position on the way down (or bump twice for full flaps), and flip the switch up to fully retract. If you want to only retract to just the partial flap position, just flip the switch up and then back to center and it will only retract to the partial position.

The second method, which I prefer, is a relatively new capability discussed in this posting. Just install a 3 position flap switch and put the flaps in any position you like.

pZA-EaEPdWehTkaocgy7CShcNtN9t-8a6dDtffuonyy2eD8wlHm2U911HShYZM86zi1XYALmp9A4xmu8BCrAySLUvgHVYpVg7sRnHqSswzvmhNRLeIbXijkHWof-7tKYM_R0gxCcqFcy-MkFMtd9FF3CZSh9Ymr7mb0PyHxRvviAmMF2jk_3jI3Y6Xbn4rr1mO6mnfIgQagw98XdPWUaA6hympdAjm6f1dh1CT37ZMQt2wWKujCa7m2hlirF9abeAPvsakUae-oeimQcEeZCXQsKGv5XFoBbH7hzzUG44TQJ71KiT37UBC6DFFabcLcrqltfJzubM1lC8wl-oQiusGZiqjftSTk4dDb38eGZ_Ht4mj6Q4cbMmc8CLLJThlhkD9wY6BFkr-DDJ3pgcuihAQ1WFIzbB2L225GHPwA0e3NGzlETu7EngaDTyOvRb7IdaKkau6tt777p1SlRQDUG32blkYJ__nl07ehwwRdD1lnapf59teszrbcaN2uQ4-m6BO6Gko-bZMo-XclMam_QlINJLUVlhB23_wZixvXs_iBrBXOimz6pM6Yxq_h4vQO2iyjh3fZlihoEMd5Wkv6qGCszpBETHf34TCoSNhJxjWrLOAUa9bc0uCq8ZzWMbwR1eTnNwETQ0yzU2a7qD2f0Hf1S-CM_fQ=w739-h453-no

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Steve,
Thank you for the quick response and it will be great if this feature is already available. I believe you understand my request correctly. I only have a monetary switch and no provision for a second switch on my panel.

I have not tried bumping it twice to see if it retracts fully and will try it on my next trip to the hanger. But I did try holding it the switch which seems to act as if there was no preset and it retracts as long as you are holding it, again a nice future to have.

Two questions come to mind with the absolute flap position option:

1. Does anyone have suggestions for 4-position switches, assuming I don't want to go to a Cessna scrapyard looking for one?

2. What happens if more than one of the absolute flap position inputs are pulled low? I am curious about two possibilities. First, if you use momentary push-button switches and push two of them simultaneously and release them, what happens? Second, if one input is stuck (sticky switch, short circuit, or any other reason) and you push another button and release it with the first one still stuck low, what happens?

One other wish for G3X;

when changing the Baro setting, to give the operator a 5 second delay in replacing it with the current setting just in case we had made a mistake or even accidentally changed it. There are times that we either accidentally change the baro setting or just put the wrong one in and only don't remember what was the pervious settings. A few second delay will gives us the chance to cancel it.
It would be also VERY nice, if the system could compare it with the GPS reported altitude and report with divergence. Again, if we put some wrong baro by accident, this is yet another way to get our attention.

It would be also VERY nice, if the system could compare it with the GPS reported altitude and report with divergence. Again, if we put some wrong baro by accident, this is yet another way to get our attention.

On most days they WILL disagree.

I like the bar graphs for loading map data. It would be nice to see something similar for operating system updates. I?m never sure when the system has finished upgrading.

Yes, but 50' or 500'?
50' could be easily be ignored but 500' will catch your attention to at least double check your Baro settings.
It?s not that the setting is wrong; it?s that an altimeter doesn?t show true altitude except on a standard lapse rate day.
Depends on how far off from a standard atmosphere you have that day. Rough estimate is 4% of altitude for every 10 C of temperature difference from standard. e.g., 10,000?, temperature 10 C different than standard, altitude difference = 400?.

It may have been discussed in the past but the ability to Bluetooth a mirror image of the G3X screen to a tablet would be great. Tandem seating aircraft could mount a low cost and light weight tablet in the back seat to give the occupant lots of great information.
George

I like the bar graphs for loading map data. It would be nice to see something similar for operating system updates. I?m never sure when the system has finished upgrading.

Go to config mode and watch the system status, it will show each LRU being updated.

I wish . . .

first that Santa would magically replace my non-tech with touch

and, second, that the Garmin AOA would work just as accurately w/flaps as it does clean. It has the flap position and all the other information.

I have not found it useful on landing.

first that Santa would magically replace my non-tech with touch

and, second, that the Garmin AOA would work just as accurately w/flaps as it does clean. It has the flap position and all the other information.

I have not found it useful on landing.

I find it very useful and very accurate in landing configuration / power off stalls. I typically touch down a little bit faster than 50kts, I'll give a full stall landing a try next chance I get to see if I get AoA alerts on flare.

I find it very useful and very accurate in landing configuration / power off stalls. I typically touch down a little bit faster than 50kts, I'll give a full stall landing a try next chance I get to see if I get AoA alerts on flare.

You reckon I need to recalibrate the system?

I think it has been proposed few times in the past, not sure has been implemented yet by g3x touch developpers:

1) aural and visual alert in case of flap overspeed (at
Pilot- specified speeds). G3x already has all the info (ias and flap positions) so should not be too difficult. I know is already possible by purchasing another (expensive) piece of garmin hardware that enables many other functions, but is an overkill for somebeody seeking just this function.

2) when bearing pointers are enabled on the hsi, they should also show gps distance above each arrow symbol.

The above points are all functions already present in the g1000 since many years.

Garmin Pilot running on an iPad?

It may have been discussed in the past but the ability to Bluetooth a mirror image of the G3X screen to a tablet would be great. Tandem seating aircraft could mount a low cost and light weight tablet in the back seat to give the occupant lots of great information.
George

That is probably what I will do however I would much prefer to mirror the G3 so all info like the engine instruments would be available. Anyone know if the Dynon or Advanced units will do this?
G

I?d love to see support for the GSR 56. It?d be nice to be able to get access to satellite weather in Australia without the added expense of a GTN750 to display it.

That is probably what I will do however I would much prefer to mirror the G3 so all info like the engine instruments would be available. Anyone know if the Dynon or Advanced units will do this?
G

You can roll your own rear seat display. Not the same as mirroring but Garmin already outputs all the data you need to replicate the primary functions of the PFD and EMS system with the G3X.

That is what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to find the right airframe. Miss my Six more than I thought.

One other wish for G3X;

when changing the Baro setting, to give the operator a 5 second delay in replacing it with the current setting just in case we had made a mistake or even accidentally changed it. There are times that we either accidentally change the baro setting or just put the wrong one in and only don't remember what was the pervious settings. A few second delay will gives us the chance to cancel it.

There's a much easier way for those of us who have ADS-B In (most now?): pick closest altimeter setting as one of your Data Bar Fields, and it will always be visible. Also very helpful for when on a long VFR flight and not on Flight Following!

George

This is such a high-value feature! And it doesn't need to have any UI-interaction (so no risk of extra GDU sales :D), just a direct mirror.

On the SkyView Touch with ADS-B IN, there is an option to alert the pilot when the current BARO setting and the nearest METAR-based altimeter setting are more than 0.1 In Hg apart. This is handy when flying XC, but I've also gotten this on the ground when I haven't set the altimeter setting before ADS-B IN comes on-line and squawks the mismatch.

Also when flying XC, you can easily sync the baro setting to the nearest METAR (via ADS-B IN) by touching the BARO setting field on the screen to select it, and pushing the setting knob to the left or right for two seconds. The BARO setting window then shows the METAR airport where the updated setting came from for a couple of seconds, and then reverts back to showing the updated BARO setting.

I would think that Garmin would have something similar.
This is a nice feature to have and wondering if it is available with Garmin.

With GRT, you get a few seconds to revert back to your pervious Baro if accidentally changed it. It will also compare it with the reported GPS just to give you another set of data which is a nice feature as well.

I should also mention that on the SkyView Touch if you're on the ground and there is no current altimeter setting, pushing the setting knob (joystick) to the left or right for two seconds when the BARO setting field is selected, adjusts the altimeter based on the current GPS altitude. After the BARO setting is synchronized a GPSALT message will appear in the altimeter setting box on the PFD, before showing the updated BARO setting.

For the G3X
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE
The barometric pressure setting is displayed below the Altimeter in inches of mercury
(in Hg) or hectopascals (hPa) when metric units are selected.
Selecting the altimeter barometric pressure setting:
Turn the Knob associated with the PFD to set the barometric pressure.
Or:
1) Touch the Barometric Pressure on the PFD.
2) Touch the Set For Field button if aircraft is on the ground.
Or:
3) Touch the Set To Standard button if aircraft is in the air.
Or:
4) Enter the desired pressure using the keypad and touch Enter.

Here?s a feature suggestion: Any chance of G3X getting Bluetooth A2DP music input in a remote mount COMM/intercom? Looks like the panel mount GTR 200 has a ?B? option, but the remote mount GTR 20 has only wired stereo music input. Understood you could roll your own with an aftermarket BT adapter but it seems like a strange omission from the product line.

Certifying the GPS 20A

If the GPS20A was certificated as an IFR navigator then the G3X touch could have LPV approaches integrated without the need for an external navigator. It is at present a WAAS GPS that is accurate enough for ADSB.

That would be a great addition to the integrated G3X touch system.

Flap/Trim settings

Wouldn?t be nice to be able to configure trim in relation to the flap setting. Garmin G3X with the combination of a GAD 27 already has the ability to set the flap at preset angle as well as control the trim. Why not have it so when we set the flap, it will automatically adjust the trim based on configured settings?

Wouldn?t be nice to be able to configure trim in relation to the flap setting. Garmin G3X with the combination of a GAD 27 already has the ability to set the flap at preset angle as well as control the trim. Why not have it so when we set the flap, it will automatically adjust the trim based on configured settings?

Such a system would need to take care of your current speed as well -to maintain the airplane in trim.

Such a system would need to take care of your current speed as well -to maintain the airplane in trim.

Considering there is airspeed limit for deploying flaps, the speed range wouldn't be a too wide. Furthermore, these settings much like the AOA settings, need to be calibrated and set by the pilot in the air and would work more effectively with a side by side than a tandem.

FPS-plus is an example of such system that does this and it does it very nicely.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/FPS.php

With Garmin, all required inputs and controls are already there, I would assume only programing to make it possible.

Hello Team X,

Any chance we could get this feature with the next sw update?

Thanks,

Igor

It would be comfortable to operate the G3X USER TIMER (stopwatch) by a remote button eg from the joystick. A discrete input could serve this purpose.

1click -Start
1click -Pause
hold button -Reset

Oh I really like this one!!!

Really good suggestion!!! That would make the timer a lot more convenient.
Flying

+1, excellent!
2019 dues worth every penny

Thanks for the idea. We are always trying to improve our products. I will see if this is something we may be able to do in a future release.

Keep the ideas coming, we try to our best to integrate your ideas when we can.

Thanks,
Levi
Team X Project Manager

Considering there is airspeed limit for deploying flaps, the speed range wouldn't be a too wide. Furthermore, these settings much like the AOA settings, need to be calibrated and set by the pilot in the air and would work more effectively with a side by side than a tandem.

FPS-plus is an example of such system that does this and it does it very nicely.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/FPS.php

With Garmin, all required inputs and controls are already there, I would assume only programing to make it possible.

Came here looking for info on this exact operation. The Garmin reps at Oshkosh this year were explaining the auto-trim vs airpseed function the g3x now has. I was curious if this was 2d map (trim position vs airpspeed) or if there was a way to make it a 3d map (trim position vs airpspeed and flap setting). Even if they didn't want to implement a fully blended solution, having 3 or 4 discrete 2d auto-trim profiles based on flap settings would probably work (profile 1 flaps 0-15, profile 2 flaps 16-30, etc)

Is there a way to make the Garmin system and the FPS-plus play nice together? Can the Garmin use an external input to disable it's trim controller? If I tapped into the output of the FPS trim controller and used it as an input into the Garmin system, could you program the Garmin to give up control once it sensed the FPS box was attempting to change the trim condition?

Friends list

Now that more and more people are getting ADSB out I find that my traffic advisory is driving me nuts. I almost always fly with a wingman or two and it used to be that I would only get traffic alerts from my wing man if we were more than about a half mile apart. We typically fly much closer than that and now that my normal flying partners have ADSB out I get constant traffic alerts. I don't want to turn the alerts off but if its constantly alerting it becomes useless. It would be nice to have the ability to either create a "friends" list of aircraft that would not alert or at least have the ability to acknowledge an aircraft only once per flight.

I don't know if there is a feature to acknowledge an alert and stop it from blinking all the time. If not, it would be nice to be able to acknowledge it and stop it.

Suggest AOA Display on G5

I would like to see the ability to have my G5 display the AOA from my G3 system. Since my G5 backup instrument is at the top of my glare shield, being able to display AOA on that instrument would be very helpful.

Thanks for your continued improvements to the G3X systems.

In addition to my prior request (asking for a configurable discrete input to play/pause Bluetooth audio playback so I can pause my audiobook from the stick when ATC calls me)...

I wish that the G3X Touch, when paired with a Virb camera, would record air data, including at a minimum the following:
  • Indicated or pressure altitude
  • Altimeter setting
  • Rate of climb
  • Indicated airspeed
  • True airspeed
  • Angle of attack
  • Heading

This would make the Virb tremendously useful for flight testing, as well as more fun for content creators who can give a HUD-like camera view using air data rather than GPS-derived altitude, speed, and course over ground.

Garmin Auto Land in the future?

Garmin introduced their auto-land emergency feature... it will be interesting to see how this evolves over time. It's not for Vans today... apparently auto throttle is one issue but still pretty amazing capabilities transcending from commercial jets down to small aircraft.

Auto land

Not sure about the comment pertaining to commercial jet auto land. I am pretty sure it isn?t what you think. There is far more required than push a button and ?auto land?...

I hope the G3X guys still monitor this thread.

I would like to have an alert based on gallons used; the "switch fuel tanks" alert is handy, but currently you have to set it based on time. If we could set it to alert every time "x" gallons is used, that would be great. Makes it easier to balance fuel and monitor fuel used.

Fuel tank reminder

⬆️ My Skyview system had the same thing...choice between time and gallons used. It’s baffled me why this isn’t an option on the G3X, where I would have to imagine the vast majority of people have a fuel flow transmitter. I’d like to see the same option.

Flaps position/indicator SYMBOL

I wish the flaps position indicator would visually assemble the shape of a flap (instead of the triangle) or have the scale a bit curved compared to the pitch trim indicator.

This would help differentiating between those 2 indicators which are located very close to each other.

Panel light dimmer control via screen

Would it be possible to control the panel light dimmer via the touch screen. This would save the cost/weight/panel space required for the potentiometer(s). Alternatively, could the photocell in the G3X touch be used to control the lighting circuits instead of a potentiometer?

Last edited:
As one of the lucky folks to have a G3X Touch and GTN 650, I thought I?d renew my request for a feature to enable the G3X to emulate fuel format 1 or 2 (Shadin, ARNAV) on one or all of the RS-232 outputs.

This would enable the GTN 6xx & 7xx to use fuel flow information as part of the fuel planning functionality on the GTN.

See Table 5-5, Appendix C.3, of GTN 6XX/7XX Part 23 AML STC Installation Manual, 190-01007-A3.

Thanks!

B
i have a similar panel with a g3x touch and garmin gtn 650 like yours, then how do you become adsb out compliant with such equipment? i called stein air and they say that it should be but i tested it on the ground and got no signal
any help appreciated

andres rv8

Back