What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best non-Iphone Cell Phone for cockpit?

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I need to get a new phone and was wondering about others experience for in cockpit backup functions. Screen readability is obviously a concern.

Would like to hear personal experiences and opinions.

TIA
Gary

My LG G4 is very readable under all conditions I have experienced. Under bright direct sunlight it is still pretty good. At night it dims enough to not be a distraction.

Garmin Pilot runs well on it.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has a large screen and good readability. I run Avare and WingXPro on it with no problems. Battery life seems OK. I don't have any experience with others.

I need to get a new phone and was wondering about others experience for in cockpit backup functions. Screen readability is obviously a concern.

Would like to hear personal experiences and opinions.

TIA
Gary

I have an HTC M8, great phone, not near bright enough. Long battery life though.

My Samsung flip phone is perfect for me.

I just put it in my pocket and ignore it while flying-------no distractions from the job of flying.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has a large screen and good readability. I run Avare and WingXPro on it with no problems. Battery life seems OK. I don't have any experience with others.
Second this. Very bright, good gps, one of the largest phone screen sizes. I run Garmin Pilot. Zero lag with minimal apps running. Never locked up either.

Samsung S5

To your question. Samsung S5. Big screen. Fast processor. Faster than the S7.

S7

I like having my Samsung S7 in the cockpit for charts backup and for flight planning. I'm bad about breaking screens and dropping phones in water so the new Samsung is good for me. I caught myself fixating on the new phone in flight; however, and resolved to put it away in the air unless there's a good reason/need to look. John

I love my Galaxy S7 running Avare for back up navigation. The battery life is very good and the built in GPS receiver is great! I flew 1000miles to California and back and it never lost GPS signal once! Even mounted under the glare shield. The Note would be even better, but it is just to bulky for me to carry around.

10z8owm.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note3 is a big phone, but not a big phablet. Fits a normal shirt pocket in an otterbox comutter case.

I liked the more flexible tmoblie, N900T version. Replaceable battery and takes 64gb microsd on top of 3gb ram and 32gb. Runs Avare in portrait mode. Bluetooth link to dualgps170 for adsb-in and another great gps source. (Stratux dual band should be better for half the price). Plays music out the stereo jack. It does not rapid or wireless charge. It draws 1.5 amps max, and about .4 amps when charged. Just barely fits a standard Ram X mount.

Using Android 5.0 something, usually has about 1.5gb free RAM. Avare is up to 8gb of data each 28 days if you load most of USA charts and plates and A/FDs.

A usb charger converted from the old cigarette outlet keeps the phone charged.

A 4 port USB 12 volt powered hub charges the dualgps. The squarish port feeds the adsb to the GRT usb, another slot holds the memory stick for the GRT logger and database transfer/update. A port alsk powers an LED gooseneck light.

New old stock from auction site under $300, unlocked. I don't like current phone price schemes, I keep an older free rollover doubled data plan with too many geebees. Squaretrade is a good warranty option if desired.

A 7 inch 2GB RAM 32GB tablet is fine for under $200 if you have the space and don't want or need a phablet sized phone.

It's a less popular choice these days, but my Blackberry Passport is brilliant in the cockpit: very large square screen, great visibility in bright sunlight, and runs Android apps. Naviator and fltplango both run very well on it. Also has the advantage of the physical keyboard which makes data entry very easy.

Back