What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A #83423 N-251WM

Strike69

RV-8A #83243 N-251WM

As my kids returned to their mother on Chirstmas Eve, I embarked on my journey of creating N-251WM (res). With all the ways to publish on the web, I think hosting the builds ON this site makes the most sense. I look forward to sharing my progress. Although I will providde updates here, I am still tracking my daily progress the old fashion way:
DSCN0537.jpg

So far: 71 hrs since 12/24/11

Completed: Horizontal and vertical stabs (except for fiberglass) and parts for the elevators and rudder ready for priming.
2012-01-09_20-56-10_936.jpg

2012-01-03_18-46-33_432.jpg

2011-12-30_15-08-15_766.jpg

Had to take a break when I realized the 1/2 car garage was not going to be big enough. Fortunately the lease was up and the landlord was selling. Now my new shop is set up and I'm ready to crank up the production again.
DSCN0538.jpg

Now back to work ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That build log is old school. Is that made out of PAPER??

It's looking good, and I like the new shop!

Back riveting

Back to work in the new shop. I did an acid wash and alumi prep conversion coating followed by an Azko prime layer of the internal rudder and elevator parts (the parts below are pre-primer).

Preprimedparts.jpg

To rivet the stiffeners I routed a cut-out in my bench and put in a small back riveting plate.

Backrivetplate.jpg

After a little rivet tape to hold the 3-3.5s in place, flipped the rudder over and got to work.

Rivettape.jpg
Backriveting.jpg

There was some additional riveting of the rudder skin but had to quit when I put a Phillips screwdriver through my finger (don't ask ... the only advise I can give is NEVER use a screw driver to help displace a blind rivet stem from the tool). I am giving new meaning to sharing your blood to provide soul for the airplane!

Elevator work

After a couple weeks of travel, I finally primed the elevator parts and got to work.

After reading about how to use 2x8s or 2x10s to create a bending break for the rudder and elevators, I decided to incorporate it into my work bench. When not in use it is the back splash and when I need, it is a very stable, convenient tool.

BendingBreak.jpg
BendingBreakhold-back1.jpg
BendingBreakhold-back2.jpg

Since my squeezer yoke is not deep enough to get around the rib flanges, I had to get creative with the back riveting plate and tungsten bar..

CreativeBackRiveting.jpg

And after about 5 hours and a little help, I am ready to close up the right elevator then move on to the challenge of the left side.

RightElevatorreadyforclosing.jpg

Looking Good Strike !

I enjoyed visiting your shop last week. Great to spend some time with you.
Keep up the great work. The project is coming along well.

Weight and Balance

As I wait for replacement parts to be shipped and time to prime, I put together a Weight and Balance spreadsheet to run different scenarios. Obviously the end result numbers will be different but I can play around with the CG to see what my final operating capacity will be. If anyone wants a copy of the file drop me a note.

WeightandBalancepic.jpg

cg file

Mike: That really looks useful, with great features. I would love a copy if you don't mind, at least if it will run on Excel for Mac.

Bill Dicus

Empennage Complete!

After several work trips (to rough places like Hawaii!) I was finally able to get things finished with the tail feathers. Just in time too since the rest of my kit is being loaded in Oregon Monday for delivery.

Like many others, I had the privilege of completing multiple trim tabs. When the kit originally came, I was sent the wrong skin so Van's quickly replaced it. But instead of using the other skin to figure out a jig and experiment, I thought I had it and dove right in on the "real" part ... only to have to order another one when the blocks shown here didn't hold.

TrimTabBending.jpg

I figured out a way to use the work bench instead which provided a much sturdier forming block. I was much happier with the way the ends of the trim tab came out but after drilling ... and more drilling ... the hinge rivets are sloppy. It would work but this is an easy part to redo ... so I am on #3 (or will that be #4?) and will be shipped with the rest of the kit next week. For now it looks cool on the elevator.

TrimTabAttached.jpg

I also had to order a new trim access panel. I'll blame the ruler but the truth is I riveted the actuator motor brackets too close to the one edge. Again, I could probably notch the ends but it will be easy enough to fix. I did find I needed to "shape" the access (note the upper right corner of the picture has rounded out).

TrimAccessPanel.jpg

The biggest challenge thus far was the rolling of the leading edges. I struggled with the practice piece and I didn't get the picture from all of the drawings out there. It wasn't until Tim R. (RV-6 builder) came over with a pipe did I fully get how to do it. We laid a plastic garbage bag on the table, fashioned a pipe bracket out of PVC, clamped it to the table, duct taped the skin to the pipe and away we went. Using vise grips it was a piece of cake.

LeadingEdgeRolling.jpg

I also using an edge roller prior to forming the edge on the top side. I did add a few extra rivets on the middle bends to stitch the edge together better. Deburring was not that difficult but it does take two (or more) sets of hands to hold the edges together to get the clecos in.

RivetingLeadingEdge2.jpg

RivetingLeadingEdge1.jpg

The end result is a thing of beauty.

CompletedRightElevator.jpg

116.5 hours to date. With the exception of the fiberglass work (and a little trim tab rework), phase I is complete!

Empennage.jpg

Last edited:
QB Delivery Day

Yesterday was a big day in the build of N-251WM. The delivery truck arrived around 1500 EDT and the first trick was figuring how to actually get the truck into the end of the road where I live. It was a tight squeeze but Partain's guys are pros.

TightSqueeze.jpg
Awaitingunload.jpg

I was able to enlist my minions ... I mean a crew from work ... so we got to work unloading the truck and surprisingly there was very little to actually unload - 2xwings, a fuselage, and a big box.

Minions.jpg

One of the best things I did was to have the wing cradle and fuselage stand (both on wheels) already built so it was easy to just transfer the structures from the truck. Thanks to Colin Peterson, WingsOnWheels (RV-6 build), for the pictures of his cradle/stand and the design - it is perfect for the tight space I call my garage. We did do a test fit to make sure it would all fit (barely) before we got to work on the inventory.

PackedGarage.jpg

Inventory.jpg

As we unloaded the fuselage that was full of parts, I found a long wood plank (which is not on the inventory) but my helpers certainly found a good use and simulating hand propping while I tried out the cockpit.

HandPropping.jpg

I am sure the inventory will take a few days but the excitement is just beginning with my first "RV grin."

FirstRVGrin.jpg

Last edited:
Wing Work

Although there is a significant work already compelte with a QB kit, don't be fooled. Around a week trip for work, I have been cranking through completing the wings. Of course the first error was drilling the push rod ends without having edge distance on the end caps. Now what fun would it be without having to order replacement parts.

I have finished the bell crank assemblies which requires removing the upper bracket to fit the pin. One of the disadvantages of the QB is not being intimately familiar with the pieces parts (such as the attach screws for the brackets using nut plates, not nuts).

DSCN0883.jpg

The aileron brackets and flap/aileron deflectors and access panels seemed like easy work. I did have some challenges with match drilling the front edge of the skins and had to walk the drilling instead of clecoing the entire surface then drilling.

DSCN0875.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

2012-07-06_20-31-50_850.jpg

Along the way there have been some inadvetent cool shots (like the mirror image above).

DSCN0877.jpg

And a few friends providing supervisory assistance for good luck.

DSCN0889.jpg

Back to Work

After a long break for my kids summer visit, I got back to work. Lots of days at the beach but I did manage to get my boys to help deburring the thousand holes on the wings. I think they have a future in aircraft manufacturing.

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

The nice part about the fuselage is the ability to work on various subassemblies without having to necessarily work in order. The seats went together nicely although I had to determine if the rear seat tabs go on the inside or outside. The plans show it both ways and a quick call to Van's confirmed - outside.

DSCN1399.jpg

DSCN1415.jpg

While working on the seat hinges, I jumped ahead to the cockpit floor ... something about actually seeing progress breeds even more motivation.

DSCN1451.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg

From the floors I moved on to the rear baggage area.

DSCN1441.jpg

It took almost an hour to deburr all of the edges on F-834-1 (big rear baggage tray). I discovered micro files and I'm not sure how I made it this far without these tiny gems.

DSCN1470.jpg

Motivation is everything so I had to put my dream panel in ... one day!

DSCN1440.jpg

Looking good Mike! It's awesome having your kids invovled-great memories. I go back and look at my photos from just a few years ago and it always puts a smile on my face!

A child labor sweatshop right here in the USofA? This country is going to **** in a handbasket. Tell those poor children that I'm forming a union tomorrow and we are already planning our first walkout. Solidarity is the key. United we stan...uh hold on, United hosed their retirees pension plans. Forget United.

Sing along...We are Fam-i-ly.......I'm going to save those children! I'll film a bleeding heart commercial to gather support. I just need a washed up TV star, a video camera and a kid willing to dimple his finger on camera for a 10 spot...this is going to work, save the children!

Last edited:
The Process

As designed, this journey of building an aircraft in the experimental category is meant as a learning experience. One of the things I am enjoying most is discovering ways to be creative and innovative. It may not be new for most but for me this has been a world of discovery.

I know it is a little out of order but as I said, one of the nice things about the fuselage is the ability to work on different subassemblies in any order. The canopy rail receptacle has a very tight space with the back rivets. A slight bend of the tab and a thin nose yoke fit just fine.

InteriorBuild3.jpg

For the front lower consoles, installing nut plates lead me to utter a few choice words. The space is too tight to effectively buck or squeeze a solid. After an hour of contemplation, I remembered I had some Cheery N rivets that fit nicely as place of the AN426s. MUCH easier.

InteriorBuild5.jpg

After a 4-day break for Labor Day, I was able to make significant progress on the interior. The rear baggage area is complete, both seats are riveted together, flap actuator arm and brackets positioned, floor stiffeners installed, floor nut plates done, and the front consoles (left and right) are ready priming.

InteriorBuild11.jpg
InteriorBuild9.jpg
InteriorBuild10.jpg

InteriorBuild12.jpg
InteriorBuild8.jpg

I did pause for a moment Friday when I finished the rear seat bulkhead assembly. I turned it over to take a picture and the resemblance reminded me of the Lunar Module. We lost one of our pioneers last week and I thought it fitting to have this reminder on the day we remember Neil Armstrong.

InteriorBuild4.jpg

Finally, for motivation I match drilled the rear bulkheads and top rear skin.

InteriorBuild2.jpg
InteriorBuild1.jpg

Weekend Work

The weather was sunny and in the low 70s (perfect garage temp), I had helpers, and I got to sit in my plane ... what more could one ask for? Now that the "big" things are relatively complete, it is on to the details.

I finally borrowed a 90 degree drill and completed the step support block.

StepSupportBlock.jpg

The bushings on both the FCP and RCP sticks required a little reduction. On the RCP stick, the bushing was about 1/32 too narrow so a slight ream was necessary.

RearControlStickBushing.jpg
ReamingControlStickBushing.jpg

I wanted to do some cockpit planning (and a little motivation always helps) so temp installed the control assembly.

InstalledControlStick.jpg

No matter how good the computer software or drawing templates, I found the best way to visualize the cockpit layout is/was to stick in the seat and let my hands rest and move the way they will in flight. Being on the tall side, this helped determine the furthest forward point on the consoles I could put a switch and still see it - something a drawing won't do.

CockpitPlanning1.jpg
CockpitPlanning2.jpg

I'm sure it will change again but at least I feel I am a little closer.

End of September Update

A pesky thing called work has kept me on the road recently so slow progress has been made.

I finally finished priming the wing aileron and flap braces and got those installed only to find out I grounded the wrong end of the flap hinge. I to drill out all of the top rivets and re-did the wing-side hinge. Only a 5-hour detour but the flaps and ailerons are now temp attached to the wings.

30Sep2.jpg
30Sep7.jpg

Moving on to details ... the adjustable rudder pedal assembly with rear seat pedals is complete. Hard to believe the rear cockpit "pedals" are essentially buttons but with the limited space it all makes sense.

30Sep1.jpg
30Sep5.jpg

With the push rods complete, it is on to the interior details - running fuel lines, wiring, etc. As usual, I have my motivation shot with the empennage temporarily set on the fuselage ... starting to really look like an airplane and quickly running out of space in the garage!

30Sep6.jpg

End of October update

After several weeks of travel for work (and one more overseas trip coming up), I have made slow progress. Of course this weekend was dealing with Sandy. I'm into some details and getting little things done when I can.

The roll trim servo was the first installed component to actually have power applied! Still have to rivet the parts in but it works like a champ. I still need to run wires to the panel but I couldn't help myself from seeing the display come to life.

Oct12-3.jpg
Oct12-2.jpg

While the panel is being put together, I had Stein send me the antenna and servos so I could at least get those installed. The roll servo instructions don't include photos so if anyone has a good pic showing the specific location, I'd like to get a copy. for now this is my tentative mounting location.

Oct12-13.jpg

The pitch trim system was also completed (finally) with power applied.

Oct12-7.jpg

The horizontal stab and elevators have been attached to the fuselage which is making for a tight squeeze in the garage ... especially with a hurricane whipping the wind around and needing to keep the door closed.

Oct12-8.jpg
Oct12-4.jpg

Final project for the month was getting exterior lights installed. I am using an Aero LED system for nav, strobes, and landing lights. The tail light (with adaptor ring) installed very easily.

Oct12-5.jpg

I am amazed at how bright these things are.

Oct12-6.jpg

The wing tip presented more of a challenge (as I have posted elsewhere) and the short answer is the 1600s don't fit! I am working to get those changed out with the MicroSun landing light but I did finish both wing tip lenses.

Oct12-10.jpg

Oct12-11.jpg

One more trip then lots of free time to work on the project ... at least until work calls.

The roll servo instructions don't include photos so if anyone has a good pic showing the specific location, I'd like to get a copy. for now this is my tentative mounting location.

Mike, might want to reconsider the servo location. On a finished -8 access to the area under the floor is a PITA....lots of screws, while kneeling on the wing and hanging over the rail. The alternate locations are the back side of the spar, one bay outboard of the aileron bellcrank or all the way outboard, just in from the wingtip.

Strike,

Here are a couple pictures of my Roll and Pitch servo - Early pics don't reflect the service bulletin to capture the screw on the arm for those who have eagle eyes :D

4F302AE1-647D-4981-8773-732F1D6B9D7D-7884-000005E515520F0B_zpsd1204d16.jpg

33AD0C05-7B7B-49CD-85E2-753919FF6AC0-7884-000005E514490564_zps47576e7c.jpg

Note: the big washer on the roll servo must be ground down or it interferes with floor boards.

John and Strike-

My A/P roll servo is located similar to yours. I was able to find smaller washers to avoid interference with the floor. However, I also found my floor stiffner also came extremely close to the servo arm. Once I applied some weight to the floor, I notice there was interfernece. Your situation may be different depending on how far forward or aft of the stiffner you located the servo.

Given the tight space and the joy of drilling out rivets in this location, moving the servor forward is not much of an option. I ended up trimming some of the floor stiffner and will add another stiffner for additional strength.

Curious if others ran into this. Goes to show, as one progress through the build it's even more important to be thinking 17 steps ahead.

Mike, Aero Led's is adamant about "grounding" the case of their led strobes- not easy to do within the confines of the fiberglass rudder tip. I don't see, though you may have already made, provisions for this.

Mike, Aero Led's is adamant about "grounding" the case of their led strobes- not easy to do within the confines of the fiberglass rudder tip. I don't see, though you may have already made, provisions for this.

David is correct. I installed my AeroLed's very early and before much new info was out. I had white noise, but it came from my left wing NAV lights only. I re-ran shielded wire to the left wing only and the NAV white noise is gone. I just completed my 2nd condition inspection.....well...and again ran out of time and didn't update the right wing to shielded :D - I'll get to that someday, but no issues.

But, since you are in pieces! Use the AeroLed shielded wire for ALL connections and you should be in great shape!

It only matter if you think it important to have a possibility of a long term record

Wow. That build log is old school. Is that made out of PAPER??

It's looking good, and I like the new shop!

Software/electromagnetic or photooptic records require maintenance to survive for years. The paper record can last for centuries without maintenance and be read by a human without support equipment. All I have to do is walk into the den and access perfectly clear tamper free legal records with signatures and dates and printed photo correlation. WOW! NEW SCHOOL you put all of your once in a lifetime event records in a series of non-human readable, invisible coded bits that will never remain constant as long as printed english and feel good about it... In the late 1970s I personally made a determined effort to read the data on a 9-track tape using a small hand tool with floating metal particles that would align with with the charged areas of the tape. It was a very important tape and I spent days trying to develop a method for salvaging any part of it and as I recall it was simple BCD code. I could identify the header blocks, the inter record gaps, etc. but nowhere near the byte let alone the bit level. My point is if it is important to you, you should print it even if you put it in some machine readable form. If you lose the source documents and nothing has been printed your record is very volatile in the meaningful human sense.

Well done original record keeper.

Bob Axsom

Pre-Thanksgiving Progress

It has been slow going with all of my travel this summer but with the exception of a couple of short overnight trips to DC, I am home and can work on the TARDIS (an ode to my kids favorite TV show "Dr Who").

The wing build-up continues with the wing tips drilled and fitted to the wings. I am using the Cleveland RV wing tip kit with #4 screws and nut plates. I do wish the -8 wing design had an additional inspection plate toward the wing tip. I am contemplating adding one. If anyone has done this type of mod I would be interested in getting some pictures.

DSCN18142.jpg

I found a Sherwin Williams product called MacroPoxy. It has a heavy solid content and gives more of a textured feel which is what I wanted for the floors and seat pans. It can be tinted but I like the gray of the base color.

DSCN18072.jpg

DSCN18082.jpg

For the control sticks and side panel accents, I am using a metallic cobalt blue. This will be the same color used for the exterior waves/accents.

I did manage to install the roll and pitch servos for the TruTrak GX Pilot but discovered I put the roll servo too far forward so it hits the front seat floor stiffener. A little trimming and adding a second stiffener is the plan.

DSCN18132.jpg
DSCN18112.jpg

One thing I have discovered is extra care is required when working in tight spaces like a garage with both wings and fuselage (with horizontal stab mounted). When I was flying F-15Es we called them "Eagle Bites" - injuries sustained when working in and around the aircraft. It is her way of showing love in return!

DSCN18222.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Pre-Christmas progress

With the kids coming out in a week and a half, it is time to get things cleaned up and move all of the parts out of the boys bedroom. What better way than to "assemble" the plane, right?

Now that the interior paint is done, progress toward getting components installed is moving forward. The FCP switches, rudder pedals, and controls are in. Once I get the panel complete I will run the wires.

DSCN18272.jpg
DSCN1853.jpg

Following a suggestion from one of my helpers who has his own E/AB and reading many recent comments regarding floor access, I installed nutplates under the rear baggage lower deck (every other hole) using flush screws for the bottom and AN515s for the sides.

DSCN18562.jpg

DSCN18602.jpg

DSCN18622.jpg

I added a stiffener on the upper deck to allow more than a pillow to be stored.

DSCN18572.jpg

My monthly inspiration (and need to clean out the boys bedroom) came in the form of clecoing the upper forward skin.

DSCN18672.jpg

Now where to put the canopy and engine when they arrive in a few weeks ...

DSCN18732.jpg

rudder cable clearance

Mike:
I'm finishing a RV-8A project someone else started. I would like to use the rear rudder pedals option, but on my project using the idler arms per plans have the rudder cables hitting the gear leg weldment. If I flip the idler arms the rudder cable clears the gear mount but the rear rudder shafts need to operate at a very steep angle. Have you checked you rudder cable clearance?

80WD

Mike:
I'm finishing a RV-8A project someone else started. I would like to use the rear rudder pedals option, but on my project using the idler arms per plans have the rudder cables hitting the gear leg weldment. If I flip the idler arms the rudder cable clears the gear mount but the rear rudder shafts need to operate at a very steep angle. Have you checked you rudder cable clearance?

80WD

Dennis,
Could you either post a photo of your problem as described above? Alternately, email a photo to me. I had no problems, but two other local 8A builders had issues here. From the photos you sent, it looks like you drilled the rudder cable holes in the F-804 assembly at the RV-8 location, not the RV-8A location. The 8A requires those holes to be drilled inboard and lower than on an 8. This is clearly noted on Dwg 11A revision 1. I sent you a copy. Look carefully at section #1, it shows the location for both models here.
The original version [before revision 1] of that drawing did not show this. The change was published in the RVator about 12 or 13 years ago for us "old dogs". Just add the holes in the proper location. If anyone asks, those other holes are just lightening holes. Yeah! That's the ticket!
Charlie

Last edited:
First year complete

Once again, the kids have returned to Texas after their Christmas visit. I was hoping to take delivery of the finish and firewall forward kits the day before they left but it came a couple days later. Probably a good thing since it looks like it is almost time to move to the hanger!

DSCN1934_zps928fcd0e.jpg

FinishandFWFKitcrate_zps66141aaf.jpg

My youngest did want to spend some time working on the plane. His classmates don't believe he is helping to build one of the world's finest flying machines.

Enlistedhelp_zps67cca05f.jpg

I am planning on flying there when we are done and having his class come out for show and tell and a little aviation motivation. I think it is important for all of us to share the message of aviation and keep GA alive.

FutureBarnstormer_zps6aaafc38.jpg

I did get my daughter involved as well.

RoseytheRiveter_zpsbab418aa.jpg

She is almost 16 and we did some driving but I think she likes this view better!

Checkingthevis_zpsdd497dd0.jpg

Happiness is pretending to fly and make airplane noises ... this is what it is all about - seeing those smiles.

FuturePilot_zps570f56b7.jpg

It has been a great year and despite all of my traveling, I look back and feel like I am making progress. Now that I have the canopy sitting in my living room and ready to install the engine mount it seems real. Of course there are hundreds of hours remaining but it is not the end but the journey. Hopefully by this time next year I am reporting that the TARDIS is successfully flying.

Panel

Stein -

Definitely motivation! Looks like Nick is making great progress and I am beyond excited to get the panel back. Thanks for the pics.

N-251WMPanel_zpsc3e748cf.jpg

- Strike

Last edited:
January Progress

It has been slow going with work and the cold. I have been less than motivated to heat the garage and get anything done. But Jim F. came by a couple weekends ago and got me to get back to work. Thanks Jim.

The big accomplishment was finishing the pitot boom. Since I am using dual AOA I opted to not install the stall warning system so had to rivet closed those holes on the left wing. I decided against removing the fuel tank and after a few frustrating hours trying to blindly work the leading edge through the small access panel, I broke out the laptop and USB webcam to see inside the wing and find my way - a poor man's bore scope but it worked like a champ.

DSCN1990_zps15d212fc.jpg

DSCN1995_zpsf025ee78.jpg

DSCN1997_zpsf1886f36.jpg

It was necessary to have the skin on to keep the rib straight prior to positioning/drilling the pitot mount support angle. The "bore scope" came in handy yet again.

picture011_zps270d82fb.jpg

After slowly trimming the opening in the skin, the pitot boom mount and control unit for the heat were installed.

DSCN2006_zps4280f7e5.jpg

DSCN2015_zpsddae8248.jpg

DSCN2020_zpsdad6d3ac.jpg

Other odds and ends this month included the FCP Throttle Quadrant and the tail light/rudder fiberglass bottom.

DSCN2022_zps7a73b71a.jpg

DSCN1956_zps86122cd1.jpg

January Progress Part II

The big event was receiving the panel on the last day of the month. I didn't want to wait until it was all in to show the great work Nick at Stein did. When I got back from DC Thursday a 94 lb box was waiting in my neighbor's garage. It was Christmas all over again.

DSCN2024_zps706d7f95.jpg

A quick inventory and test fit in the airplane.

DSCN2032_zps83e68ac0.jpg

The VP-X, GTX-23ES, GSU 73 (G3X brains), and back-up battery all need homes in the avionics bay so with the help of a couple boxes, the stage was set to determine how best to arrange things.

DSCN2042_zps0f57fa13.jpg

DSCN2044_zpsbb0679ab.jpg

One challenge discovered is the GTN-650 bottom plug rests on the forward baggage bulkhead beam. I think by moving the grounding wire to the top side of the connector and a short of rubber strip should do the trick but will consult Nick before I do anything.

DSCN2043_zps51dde3ce.jpg

Looking at how others tackled the avionics bay access, I am building a small hinged door for easier access through the forward baggage compartment - more to follow.

DSCN2045_zps9ad60ba2.jpg

A furry animal in PA said winter would be short this year so hopefully warm weather is around the corner!

Dreams

Looks great! I am living vicariously through this thread dreaming of the day I am out of grad school, have my PPL and can build an RV-8 of mine own!:D

Feb progress

Hard to believe it is another month but this one went by very quickly. The weather has been crazy but I am getting to spend more time out in the garage and the extra daylight is helping. After getting the panel early in the month, I have spent a lot of time with the panel powered up on the dining room table and understanding the integration between systems. Nick at Stein has been extremely patient with my million plus questions.

The first step was to build a mount and shelf for the VP-X and GSU-73. A key piece of advice is to ensure the cross bar will not flex in flight during aerobatics which may force an inflight alignment of the GSU. To prevent this I fashioned a bar at 45 degrees and riveted to the forward baggage rear firewall.

DSCN20962_zps812e51a0.jpg

I am impressed with how "clean" it is behind the panel.

DSCN21092_zps60cb537b.jpg

DSCN21082_zps5ec3f542.jpg

DSCN21152_zpsd20d88a6.jpg

Of course, I needed to power it all up IN the aircraft to make sure it worked ... even though it worked on the bench. I needed to get a good GPS fix - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

DSCN21142_zps340949f9.jpg

Riveting antenna doublers was also on the agenda. Comm, transponder, ELT, and GPS antennas are temporarily attached to the underside.

DSCN20722_zps6bf69e30.jpg

One other task was finishing up the wing tips. It has been a little cold to work the fiberglass but I did manage to trim the trailing edge for the aileron gap.

DSCN20502_zpsd9ded538.jpg

My big project at work is winding down and a cross country move is arounf the corner in late June so I am taking a week off this month to do nothing but work on the plane. Should be a good month.

Mike,
Great panel! I just wanted to throw a couple of suggestions your way. I have an -8 with the Infinity Grip wired exactly the same as yours. I did two things extra. First, I put a "Starter Enable" switch in that allows me to enable the starter button on the grip for engine start and disable it after the engine is started. This saves the potential of inadvertently hitting the "Start Button" on the grip while the engine is running (I've seen it happen and it ain't pretty!). The switch is also tied to a caution light on the panel that reminds me to turn it off when the engine starting sequence is over. The second thing I did is tie the fuel pump button to a caution light on the panel. Again, just in case it is bumped in flight or forgotten after the starting sequence. You may have thought of this stuff, but I just thought I would give you a heads-up. You're going to love flying the -8a.

Mike,
Great panel! I just wanted to throw a couple of suggestions your way. I have an -8 with the Infinity Grip wired exactly the same as yours. I did two things extra. First, I put a "Starter Enable" switch in that allows me to enable the starter button on the grip for engine start and disable it after the engine is started. This saves the potential of inadvertently hitting the "Start Button" on the grip while the engine is running (I've seen it happen and it ain't pretty!). The switch is also tied to a caution light on the panel that reminds me to turn it off when the engine starting sequence is over. The second thing I did is tie the fuel pump button to a caution light on the panel. Again, just in case it is bumped in flight or forgotten after the starting sequence. You may have thought of this stuff, but I just thought I would give you a heads-up. You're going to love flying the -8a.

Those are great suggestions and I don't mean to speak for Mike, but I've been reading up on the Vertical Power unit that he's installing because I'm going to use one myself. The VP unit takes care of this for you. It's an impressive unit. Once the engine is running, the starter switch is disabled for you, thereby eliminating the need for additional wiring, switches, warning lights, etc. on your panel. I think you can have an annunciator light on the EFIS for the fuel pump, too. :)

Starter Switch/VP-X and G3X annunciator/CAS

Several have suggested having a starter disconnect and since the VP-X has a feature to prevent the starter from being triggered once the engine is running, a separate switch is not necessary. The electrical system diagram and comments are at:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=96521

I like the idea of an annunciator when the fuel pump is on. In addition to all of the normal engine sensor inputs, the G3X can have up to four miscellaneous inputs. On my system these are planned as the IBBS (back-up battery), Pitot Heat Fail feedback (Dynon heated probe), Canopy Unlock, and from your suggestions a Fuel Pump On. They can be configured as active low or high and the annunciator screen color (i.e. yellow or red).

Mike,
I figured you had plenty of input. The VP-X and the Garmin G3 were not available when I built my bird. You know how it is with technology....the minute I bought it, it was out of date! Good luck on your bird and if you get to Northern Colorado I would be happy to do a little tail chasing.

Mid Month Update

After doing some transition training in an RV-9A today, I figured it was time for an update. Besides, with back surgery next week, I will be down for a while. I am taking this week off from work to make some progress and although it is slow going, I feel like things are moving forward.

Running wires and finishing avionics placements has been a top priority.

The Integrated Battery Back-up System (IBBS) is mounted to the rear bulkhead of the forward baggage compartment (say that 10 times fast) and drives the G3X in the event of power loss.

DSCN21662_zps70f484cd.jpg

I tried to enclose the dimmer circuit only to find I grounded out one of the ICs and almost burned my fingers!

DSCN21652_zpsf0483f67.jpg

Updated switch panel.

DSCN2156_zps9763a213.jpg

Of course I needed to "plan" for the cockpit lighting.

DSCN21742_zps3e6706b8.jpg

One of the funest parts of this project is "designing" those things not part of the kit like the magnetometer mount and remote transponder mount.

DSCN21492_zps374dded5.jpg

DSCN22382_zps61b92f97.jpg

The engine (Superior IO-360) and prop (Whirlwind 200RV) both arrived last week.

DSCN21582_zps8aa44e0a.jpg

Depending on the progress with wiring this week, the fuselage may go on legs this weekend and the engine hoisted into place. So in prep, I did the wheels, brakes, and engine mount.

DSCN22312_zps86487616.jpg

DSCN21752_zpsdc224a73.jpg

This last pic is in another post but want to keep a running log here so ...

The RCP will have all three engine controls. The mount is custom designed/made (see comment above) and I am engineering the push rods.

DSCN2183_zpsb242c2d6.jpg

Many have asked about the push button in the throttle. A few months back they were being offered up on the classifieds. I believe DJM is where I got them.

Last edited:
Good Luck

Good luck with the back surgery next week! If you need any help with anything (airplane related or recovery related) let me know!

Milestones

Yesterday was a momentous day in the build. I hit two major milestones ... all in the same day.

With major back surgery just under three weeks ago, I am limited on the weight I can lift so I enlisted some helpers (the usual suspects) and borrowed an engine lift from the flight school where I instruct and got down to it.

DSCN22852_zpsc845ad82.jpg

Yes, I had helpers ... but there was no shortage of "supervision".

DSCN22792_zpsc38c1d73.jpg

The gear legs required some silicone spray, muscle, lots of PATIENCE and a little bit of creativity - I ended up destroying an old long drill bit extension by grinding it down to make a guide bit/awl to help "influence" the legs into final position prior to dropping the bolt in place. The left side required a little extra influencing but we made it.

DSCN22772_zps4a631222.jpg

So around 1630 on 14 Apr 2013, N-251WM stood on her legs and walked for the first time! I have to say it is MUCH easier to push the aircraft around (even with the engine hung) on the wheels vs. the cradle.

DSCN22802_zps2ea4d0c9.jpg

Then down to business unpacking the engine. Let's just say there was foam EVERYWHERE.

IMG_0015_zpsf7deba82.jpg

Onto the lift, a quick check to understand how it all fit together and forward to the mount.

DSCN22842_zps3ff75960.jpg

Again, a little bit of ingenuity (okay, one of the guys hanging on a rope wrapped around one of the bottom Lord bolts to move it into place) and the engine was hung around 1830.

A happy day. So she is tucked away in the garage now and ready for the big move this summer ... wherever that might be.

DSCN22882_zps689c7c3a.jpg

April 2013 Update

I recently passed the 500 hour mark of building N-251WM. Five weeks ago today I had major back surgery and I have had some time to reflect on the last 16 months. As I look back, it has been an incredible journey with a lot of learning, a few mistakes ... I mean re-dos, and a whole lot of fun. We do this for the journey, not just to have a great plane in the end, right?

Like I said, being creative and figuring out how to mount things that are not in the plans has been the most enjoyable part. Since the ELT tray didn't quite span the lightening holes, I had to fashion an angle and strip to secure the tray. It fits nicely under the battery mount.

DSCN22942_zpsc998f4f7.jpg

DSCN22912_zps1bdc9709.jpg

In a previous post I indicated how impressed I was with the amount of room behind the panel. Well, now I understand why as I start to fill in the space with wires and pneumatic lines. I am just surprised EVERY box seems to need it's own pitot/static lines ... can't they just all get along and talk to each other?

DSCN22972_zps1b3c1666.jpg

As I get close to riveting the aft upper skin (the wires/lines have been run but I need to secure them), I cut a plywood plank for some lucky, small person (hopefully my girlfriend will volunteer ;)) to buck rivets.

DSCN23052_zps11f5ba57.jpg

Of course sitting around this past month I have had plenty of chances to review the plans and discovered an error in our engine mounting ... the Lord Mounts are backwards!!

DSCN23002_zpsddb46d3b.jpg

At least this will give us a little more practice taking the engine off and trying again.

A little bit of wiring in the tail ...

DSCN23032_zps81a4fff1.jpg

... and my motivational picture for the month.

2013-04-28_12-35-49_819_zps6c47c4b3.jpg

After the kids come out for the summer it will be time to move to the hanger ... I am running out of room and parts. Fortunately, the Air Force has decided to keep me here for a another year. I think they knew I needed a little extra time to finish the project so I could fly to my next assignment instead of drive ... at least that is what I am telling myself.

June 2013

Consider this either my late May post or early June post. Either way, the kids will be here next week and progress will slow down for the month with fishing trips, LOTS of time at the beach, and college tours.

I did have the opportunity to stop by the Vans Cave a few weeks back when I was out for my son's end of school trip. Doug and I had a great conversation and if you are ever flying in/out of DFW, it is worth the trip. I am looking forward to flying in when my build is done.

So on to the detail work of wires, wires, and more wires.

DSCN25142_zps207fdcc6.jpg

DSCN23422_zps6a5b726d.jpg

DSCN25192_zps1179b8c3.jpg

I said it once before and will say it again - it is nice to be able to jump around and work on various pieces as time allows. I finally finished installing the AOA ports and ran the lines.

DSCN23262_zps3f212c76.jpg

Once I finish the fiberglass landing light mounts, the wings will be done.

DSCN23802_zps7f600a2c.jpg

With the engine mounted and the interior almost complete, the front end work is moving along.

DSCN25012_zps59284070.jpg

So after a month with the kids out for summer vacation, it will be time to load her up and move to the airport. Until then ... a little shade, weekend flying, and trips to the beach.

DSCN25112_zps359ab4ad.jpg

Have a safe and fun filled weekend and summer.

- Strike

XPDR

Happiness is a working transponder ... with no sparks and no smoke!

XPDRonG3X_zpscbdd68e5.jpg

After an extended break while the kids were in town, I got back to work in the 100 degree heat (hard to believe it is warmer here than where my kids live in N. Texas). The GTX-23ES is mounted on the aft left side behind the rear baggage. The original connections were only 3' long so it required cutting the three cables and making a new, long run from the panel to the back of the aircraft. After several "training" efforts, I figured out the proper settings for the Bulgin circular, environmentally sealed connectors and got it wired up. For the panel side, three wires with grounds into the connector was a challenging fit so a little creativity and the wires were secured.

DSCN2646_zps3eb2f7a8.jpg

Not much progress but small, significant victories. Now if only I could figure out the ELT ...

Last edited:
AR Throttle Grip

For those who have viewed the previous post and wondered where the throttle grip pictures went, I have finished the PTT and decided to consolidate.

I recently ordered and received the AR Throttle Grip from DJM Manufacturing. The FCP lever arm required another 20 degrees of bend to fit the -8-1 panel and subsequently needed to bend the prop control as well but the fit is nice and very comfortable.

DSCN26542_zpsffb74a49.jpg

The RCP poses more of a challenge and after consulting with Dayton, I calculated the additional torque (yep, I reached back 20+ years to my EIT prep book), found the engineering to be sound, and will get a second grip only with a 3" extension. This will clear the roll bar bracket and provide greater clearance for the RCP occupant's left leg.

DSCN26312_zps8392f7ff.jpg

I disassembled the grip and end cap to drill out a place for the PTT switch. The USAF planes I flew had the switch on the throttle and I can't get use to using a stick mounted switch. I was surprised to see how beefy the end caps were and it took a little bit of drilling to make a hole big enough for the Radio Shack switches I bought.

DSCN26482v2_zps805c7265.jpg

Of course the wires need to go somewhere ... I channeled out a passage on the back side of the lever, covered it with high friction tape, and reassembled.

DSCN26492_zpsfc8435a9.jpg

A quick check for connectivity and functionality and I am one happy customer. The angles work to allow easy movement without bumping the other controls yet allow for thumb movements of the RPM.

DSCN26562_zps4693819b.jpg

I wish I could join everyone next week but will have to wait until next year. Have fun!

August Update

I would like to say I have made significant progress but the truth is I have been flying a lot on the weekends and with a full-time job during the week, the hours devoted to building have slacked off. BUT ... I achieved a significant milestone yesterday - soloing out my first civilian student! Although I have sent many military students off on their own for the first time, this was different.

As for the TARDIS, I am moving along with the wiring, engine, and miscellaneous things.

With a glass-cockpit there seems to be miles and miles of wires. I have gotten things organized and working toward securing it all under the panel and in the engine bay.

DSCN27022_zps9b73caec.jpg

DSCN2716_zps9e3656f3.jpg

I discovered (which is probably no surprise to others) that the stainless firewall is not the easiest material to work with. But I have started mounting things and installed the engine pressure sensor block (manifold, fuel, and oil). Yes, those are notes and a checklist to myself on the firewall.

DSCN26992_zps822db765.jpg

My happiest moment came yesterday when I finished installing the wing tip landing lights. I have been wrestling with designing/building a fiberglass mount when the simplest answer (KISS principle, right?) was to bend and fashion an aluminum mount. The Aero LED MicroSun landing lights can be installed from the front and adjusted/aimed by adding washers without removing the wing tip. It still requires paint but happy to be done with that challenge.

DSCN27102_zps90937e2e.jpg

DSCN27142_zpsc44fd5c4.jpg

I had hoped to be done with the cowl and baffles but I will have to settle for a test fit for my monthly motivational picture.

DSCN26922_zpsa4cadf94.jpg

Until next month ... fly and build safe!

Operation BIG MOVE

There have been a lot of these posts lately but ...

The day comes when the project out-grows even a 2-car garage and must be moved to the airport. I know I probably could eek out a couple more months in the confined space but with flying as an instructor just about ever other evening and on weekends, I figured having easy access to the hanger would allow more time to actually build.

Before the move I did finish up the SCAT hoses to the panel vents (both left and right sides) but I still have to build a flow divider from the fuselage vent intake.

DSCN27522_zpsba88ebb8.jpg

DSCN27222_zpsc5576d42.jpg

The other big accomplishment is securing the battery and starter solenoids, running the battery cable, building a connecting bar (out of copper) between the solenoids, and testing the battery/alternator switch - all check good.

DSCN27432_zpsf7a1666b.jpg

I also got a 80% fit on the cowl but enough to provide some motivation.

DSCN27362_zps3919ea4b.jpg

Of course the big event was the move this past weekend. A 26' rental was the perfect width/length and the wheel wells provided a nice "chock" to keep the aircraft from rolling back.

DSCN27662_zps30d04d33.jpg

A couple of 2x6s braced by 2x4s served as ramps and it fit perfectly.

DSCN27652_zpsb46689a6.jpg

Unloading at the airport was easy and now she is put to bed waiting for tail, wings, and canopy.

DSCN27732_zpsac343a9c.jpg

A big thanks to my move crew -

DSCN27842_zpsdfbf36de.jpg

So if you are in the neighborhood (KPVG - Hampton Roads Executive just west of VA beach) drop me a line and feel free to stop by ... I'll probably be driving rivets!

Back