What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage compartment side covers sound deadening

Gahannaflyer

I am about to install the baggage compartment flooring and side covers, and am wondering if anyone has put any sound deadening in behind the panels or other places. Obviously it cannot be added easily latter. Is anyone putting in any insulation in the cockpit? Or other places? I am concerned about added weight.

Steve

Sound

Yes I put sound DAMPING material on floor and sound ABSORBING material also. There is no such thing as dampening.

Steve,

Many RV-10s have done what you described. The sides and floor of mine are insulated. It greatly helps with noise reduction. There are some materials that work better than others. Give me a call if you want to discuss.

Bob

Yes I put sound DAMPING material on floor and sound ABSORBING material also. There is no such thing as dampening.

Not exactly true; I got dampened just today when I got caught in the rain.:)

Re the OP's question, like Bob I put sound absorbing material behind every panel from firewall to baggage bulkhead. It does make the plane noticeably quieter(and heavier), but in retrospect I would not do it again. If you value your hearing, the cabin is still far too noisy to fly without good anr headsets.

I recommend leaving out sound absorbing/damping material and enjoy the weight savings.

I agree with Jim, leave out the weight and just buy a good headset. I believe that you will never get the sound level down to a level where you can fly comfortably without headsets.

Back