What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNC 355 pireps ??

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Just curious if folks using this nav/com could chime in on likes / dislikes.
Also how does it play with the other equipment in your panel.
Thanks.
Red

I have one and use it as my second Nav or GPS source which is required in Canada for IFR. I have not used the GPS portion very much as I have a GTN-650 as my primary unit. Works well with the G3X however two dislikes I have. The GNC and GTN do not crossfill to each other. This to me is a major weakness especially if it is being used as a back up to the 650. The other thing to note is that it doesn't have a "default NAV" page like the 650 has.

I like it

I just had two G5's and a GNC 355 installed in my C172 (rv12is on order). Picked it up yesterday and had to fly straight to a different shop for it's annual. Initial impression based on my 45 minutes of use is that it's awesome. What I noticed/like out of the gate:

- safe taxi with airport layout made reading back taxi instructions a breeze.
- being able to select between atis, tower, and ground frequencies with a tap instead of dialing them in was such a time saver.
- having the gps show course and track made wind correction insanely easy.

I know I haven't even scratched the surface on capabilities and got the install to start working on my IFR ticket. So far I'm very impressed.

one thing tho

One thing I didn't realize that kind of bums me out is that you have to buy a $1,500 SD card (Flightstream 510) to have connectivity with ForeFlight and to get over the air database updates. I'm sure that's a known thing, but this is my first panel mounted GPS, so wasn't aware. Not sure if I'll do it or not, but seems like it would be a really useful add-on.

One thing I didn't realize that kind of bums me out is that you have to buy a $1,500 SD card (Flightstream 510) to have connectivity with ForeFlight and to get over the air database updates. I'm sure that's a known thing, but this is my first panel mounted GPS, so wasn't aware. Not sure if I'll do it or not, but seems like it would be a really useful add-on.

Shoot fire, I would not pay a tenth of that for this add on.

Carl

I replaced my non WAAS 430 with a GNC355 about a year ago. It’s worked out pretty well.

I have a 2 screen GRT EFIS that the GNC355 feeds and between them I can display all the data fields I desire. The 355 only has 4 data fields compared to 6 on the 430 and there is no CDI on the 355, hence the need to have an EFIS or G5 for display.

I haven’t missed the VORLOC function at all.

Having the com integrated is handy.

My flying is mostly VFR but I do load simple flight plans (rather than direct to) as I find that the easiest way to have waypoint information available.

The 355 makes loading Victor airways easy.

There are several Garmin You Tube videos for the GTN series that help a lot with operating a 355. Pilot Workshops recently made a GTN course which is also very good.

Download the Garmin simulator and use it to practice and learn. It is very good.

Jim Butcher

Flight Stream 510

You can connect to the GNC 355 via Bluetooth without the need for a Flightstream 510. The Flightstream 510 has a WiFi interface however, which the GNC 355 does not have onboard itself. The WiFi interface is what facilitates the large database file transfers.

Thanks,

Justin

I have one anduse it as my second Nav or GPS source which is required in Canada for IFR. I have not used the GPS portion very much as I have a GTN-650 as my primary unit. Works well with the G3X however two dislikes I have. The GNC and GTN do not crossfill to each other. This to me is a major weakness especially if it is being used as a back up to the 650. The other thing to note is that it doesn't have a "default NAV" page like the 650 has.

I recall crossfill being discussed as a possible future update to the GNC/GNX series a few years ago.
Here’s the current GTN install manual

B6A9047E-A026-4620-A6C1-8C178CFFC2F4.jpeg

Perhaps this is still a possibility in the near future?

Foreflight to GNC 355?

You can connect to the GNC 355 via Bluetooth without the need for a Flightstream 510.
Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin- so it's possible to load a flight plan from ForeFlight to the GNC 355 without the FlightStream? That would be great news! My plane went straight into annual after the install so I can't tinker with it for another week or so. I appreciate the guidance.

Thanks Justin- so it's possible to load a flight plan from ForeFlight to the GNC 355 without the FlightStream? That would be great news! My plane went straight into annual after the install so I can't tinker with it for another week or so. I appreciate the guidance.

Yes it is. I’ve done it many times.

It cross talks with foreflight. When you update the flight plan in the 355 it will send it back to the iPad. I just flew with it yesterday. Loaded a LPV on the 355 and then went back to the iPad to pull up the chart. It was already in the foreflight flight plan so I just long pressed on the approach and hit show plate button.

I am redoing my panel from old Dynon D100/120 and G5 to full 3 screen G3X and I kept the 355 rather than swap to another navigator. I replaced a 250XL and needed the comm. Starting fresh, the 375 is hard to beat if you don’t already have a ADS-B solution. I really like typing my comm frequencies rather than twisting the dial.

I learned on the iPad simulator. Very handy. Also a good way to decide between the 3 models as you can see the display differences.

I am redoing my panel from old Dynon D100/120 and G5 to full 3 screen G3X and I kept the 355 rather than swap to another navigator. I replaced a 250XL and needed the comm. Starting fresh, the 375 is hard to beat if you don’t already have a ADS-B solution. I really like typing my comm frequencies rather than twisting the dial.

Matt,

Just in case you don't already know, the GNC 355 also integrates with the G3X Touch system as one of the fully supported COM radios that can be tuned directly from the G3X Touch displays.

See page 35-153 of the Rev. AP G3X Touch Installation manual.

AM-JKLWQSt2grz6JtBFjgwyqpcs948uG-aMoea0vRwE39-uFWygA5mXbqaXShK8JGbAyAB3tzDdRq5qEConO_zUesxDA10PQtO8n6IMH6MNdpikdoWg_xA_0Nct3R96NqJkIPihucx_x-QMJZKR4MqQsf63l=w740

Steve

Speccing the avionics for our RV10.

Already got Dynon HDX and it's autopilot/transponder etc.

Looking at a navigator - we currently have an Avidyne IFD440 and it is fine. However we only do 'light' IFR and don't need full VOR/ILS etc etc.

Looking at the pricing on the Avidyne compared to the Garmin GNC355, the Garmin is significantly cheaper.

Any issues with integrating the GNC355 with the Dynon and iPad for general autopilot connectivity ?

The 355 can be our second COM if we decide to go with the internal Dynon unit.

Do I understand correctly that you have to buy a $1,500 SD card to get database updates? I read where you can get ForeFlight to transfer your flight plan using Bluetooth so that’s good but database updates occur every 28 days.

I’ve currently got two non WAAS 430s installed and have been thinking about the 355 so an additional $1,500 data card on top of the $6,000 plus cost of the 355 could be a show stopper.

Comments

Do I understand correctly that you have to buy a $1,500 SD card to get database updates? I read where you can get ForeFlight to transfer your flight plan using Bluetooth so that’s good but database updates occur every 28 days.

I’ve currently got two non WAAS 430s installed and have been thinking about the 355 so an additional $1,500 data card on top of the $6,000 plus cost of the 355 could be a show stopper.

Comments

Not totally correct. I think a misunderstanding of terms. The unit comes with a standard SD card that is programmable for both data updates and software updates using a PC or laptop. If you have a G3X it can be used to transfer a flight plan from ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot. The flight stream is required if you want wireless updates.

1 year subscription for 28 day update cycle is $299. SD card comes with the unit and is updated on FlyGarmin.com, takes about 1 minute. Software updates are free and also loaded using the SD card.

Last edited:
Back