What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Get the Vans CD plans !

humptybump

Well Known Member
I'm a "buyer not a builder" but I do quite a bit of tinkering on my RV-8. The builder shipped me home with all of the plans, instructions, photos, and notes you could imagine. He's remained a great source - now three years later. Still, not being the builder, I find I'm doing my share of head scratching to figure out some things. Hunting through paper is slow and I often can't find what I'm looking for.

I decided to tag on the plans CD from Vans Aircraft with a recent replacement parts order. OMG! This thing is fantastic. It's just PDFs (huge PDFs) but they are not scans. They are generated from the original computer files. This means everything is searchable. You can search for a word or phase or part ID in the instructions and the plans - "text is text". It's incredibly fast to find information!

If you built you airplane you probably know what is on drawing #70 but if it's been several years or you're not the builder, you will be thankful to have the CD!

THANK YOU Vans Aircraft for offering the CDs !

They're also great for potential future builders :) I got the RV-9A disc ... I think now that all 3 main airframe kits are out for the RV-14A, I'll order that one and see if I find the ease of the new style plans worth it ...

RC 14 CD

The RV 14 plans are being updated right now and they are not sending them out.
They are saying 2-3 weeks
Placed my order

I agree, I ordered mine when I bought my 7A a few months ago and used it a lot when I was gong through the plane for the past month. I loaded it onto my Ipad and worked out when I was at work and needed to order parts. I also loaded it onto my laptop. Very handy for just looking up something quickly too.

I picked up the CD on a recent visit to Vans for some stuff, and I love it, too! My project has dragged on long enough now (yeah, I know I'm slow, there are good reasons for it) that I'm finding some of the drawings and instructions on the CD are newer than my older paper drawings. This has proved to be valuable to me in my continued work!

Also, it's easy to have my laptop in the shop on the bench. I can quickly look something up, much easier than digging through rolls of old plans and trying to make room on the bench to spread them out. Get one. They're cheap and very good.

Where in Vans website?

Can someone please point me to where I can order the CD on the website?
Thanks.
Johan

Back