What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nut rotation tell-tale paint

rsr3

Well Known Member
Can anybody tell me what I should be searching for to find some of that coloured paint / wax that is applied to nuts and bolts to indicate any unwanted rotation after they've been torqued?

Thanks!

It is typically called Torque Seal.

crosschecktorqueseal1.jpg

I pickup up some of the CrossCheck at SnF. Seems much better than TorqueSeal. Foil tube instead of plastic. The TorqueSeal brand has always dried out very quickly for me, sometimes before I can even use it.

Since this stuff is considered hazmat for shipping, I had to find an acceptable substitute.

My suggestion is that you dress up in your finest duds and go to the cosmetics counter at your local drugstore. Ask for fingernail polish, preferabley in a bright color.

Alternatively, ask your wife. Your color selection may be more limited.

V

Nail polish

Since this stuff is considered hazmat for shipping, I had to find an acceptable substitute.

My suggestion is that you dress up in your finest duds and go to the cosmetics counter at your local drugstore. Ask for fingernail polish, preferabley in a bright color.

Alternatively, ask your wife. Your color selection may be more limited.

V

+1. I have four grand daughters. They gave me all their old polish. Most of it was wild colors. I have a 10 year supply. Helps when they get thick. Almost the same consistency as torque seal.

Torque seal (or a similar product) is useful to tell a fastener was torques at a point in time, it does not guarantee that the fastener is properly torqued after it has been in service for a period of time. It is very useful while building.

When doing an inspection (like an annual), I always check that fasteners are tight with a wrench - regardless of whether or not the "torque seal" looks good. There have been many times when the torque seal looks good but the fastner needs to be snugged up a bit.

I don't always use a torque wrench when checking tightness but as I've learned, a visual check alone is not a real check.

Nail varnish.. Good shout - thanks everyone. My nails - er, I mean my nuts - will be looking fabulous in no time!

In a pinch, that white paint used to cover up typing errors (e.g., old, thickened Sno-Pake or Liquid Paper) works well as an indicator that you have properly addressed a particular nut/bolt. I have found that such markings' "torque indicating" value diminishes over time. It is best used as an indication (at one point in time) that you have completed the appropriate operations on that specific nut/bolt.

ps -- I know, I know....who still has a typewriter.

Last edited:
funny this topic came up now as i have been playing with this stuff in the past week. i was using it for #4 and #6 screws in the instrument panel and where i didn't use self locking nuts and i tried a drop on the threads protruding from the nut, hoping for a little retention of the nut..........zip, maybe a little shoo goo next.

Back