What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ottawa - Boston getaway

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Shirley and I both took a Friday off and headed out for a Boston weekend. The weather forecast for Ottawa was not looking great for Sunday, so we had already anticipated a Saturday evening return home.

We left Friday morning on an 25 minute IFR flight plan from Carp CYRP at 8:30 with intent of clearing customs in Massena KMSS. Once arrived we were 'greeted' by three customs officers for which one seemed to be in training. A thorough radiation survey was performed, and my paperwork checked. First time ever that I was asked for an airworthiness certificate, and a medical. All clear, and we continue on to Boston for another maybe 90 minutes and arrive at Hanscom airport KBED. We chose Signature over the other FBOs since pricing for fuel, overnight, ramp fee etc was somewhat a wash with the competition on the field. Expensive fuel, plus a "flowage" charge. Nice spot for a Boston arrival though.

Next was our first-ever Uber ride into town. Easy way to travel. Luckily we did not arrive Thursday night, since Marriott hotel rooms were $750 that day, but were solidly booked on Friday, even at $350 a night! We found a close by hotel near the wharf/aquarium for $190, which I am told is quite good for Boston.

Visited Old Italy, took a ride on the CodZilla boat, ate at No Name (it had been 25 years at least since my last time), trip down TV memory lane to the Cheers pub across from Public Garden. A tour of Boston Common Park and then Fenway Park, with a final call to Uber for a drive back to the airport on Saturday. Great weather, enjoyable visit. Walked everywhere. Great company. What more can you ask for?

CYRP%20KMSS%20KBED.jpg

On our way to Massena
Massena.jpg

Morning fog on way to Massena
IMG_0190%20Medium.jpg

Here is a zoom from the previous photo. You can barely see the windmills sprouting through the fog layer.
Capture.jpg

One turn around Whiteface Mountain and then back on our way to Boston.
IMG_0195%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0197%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0204%20Medium.jpg

No Name Restaurant. Great food as always.
IMG_0231%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0234%20Medium.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0238%20Medium.jpg

Orpheum Theater. From Wikipedia: "One of the oldest theaters in the United States, it was built in 1852 and was originally known as the Boston Music Hall, the original home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. "
IMG_0240%20Medium.jpg

Did not know you could have a Zero address
IMG_0243%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0244%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0247%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0263%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0266%20Medium.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0270%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0276%20Medium.jpg

IMG_0286%20Medium.jpg

Nobody knew my name...
IMG_0285%20Medium.jpg

Can't resist visiting these stores. I was good though, came out with nothing, zilch, nada.
IMG_0296%20Medium.jpg

Fenway Park
IMG_0303%20Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Alfio, looks like you had a great time in town while I was up at my house in Maine!

Next time you come down, please let me know.

Nice trip and great pictures!

:) CJ

I was following your track Alfio. On your way back you should have stopped at Chittenango NY for some great food. Tim was cooking till late. A great weekend run thanks for sharing.

Boston is definitely great city to visit.

Could not have gone to KPYM even if we planned it since there was a presidential TFR that encompassed that airport. Actually, now that I look at the TFR again, looks like KPYM was just outside the 30nm Martha's Vineyard restriction.

Ottawa was calling for rain Saturday evening with possible isolated thunder showers, however flight service improved the forecast as we got close to departure and we found the sky clear when we arrived. Sunday was forecast for thunder storms, though we only received some rain for an hour or two. Safer to be on the ground that in that stuff. Would have loved to go to the Chittenango fly-in, but that meant altering e-apis, Canada Customs arrangements, and dealing with possible weather etc.

The regular camera battery was dead so used the iPad mini's camera. It is OK though has some trouble with low light. Much better than my US numbered flip phone :)

3 day layover in Boston next week.

Taking the current Mrs Newall, so should be a fun time.

Any suggestions for a hotel or B & B around Cape Cod ?

Looks like you guys had fun, Alfio. I had a bit of a giggle when, standing in our back yard on Saturday night, we saw you fly over on your return to Carp. My wife still finds it quite odd that I would be able to recognize your airplane from the ground, and be able to tell her you guys were on your way back from Boston. (I didn't tell her about the email exchange we had - I like to keep my Wizard status with her! LoL)

Alfio, all -

I live VERY close to Hanscom so if you're planning to land there and need a lift to a T station or somewhere downtown, don't hesitate to get in touch with me - dave at mightyrv dot com. No need to pay for a cab, Uber or Lyft if I'm around!

3 day layover in Boston next week.

Taking the current Mrs Newall, so should be a fun time.

Any suggestions for a hotel or B & B around Cape Cod ?
Mike,

If you're heading to Nantucket, I'd recommend the Brass Lantern. And although it's not a B&B, Ocean's Edge in Brewster is nice too.

Dave

Last edited:
Back