What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak 385

I've been flying with it for 2 weeks and 8 hours and would not want to be without it now. It's very smooth when capturing the altitude and there's no overshoot. There's an additional step not required in many other systems. Any time the autopilot is turned on and whenever the altimeter setting is changed, the 385 altimeter needs to be adjusted to match the primary altimeter. But the Vizion is a very nice improvement over the Digiflight. It's easy to use and has a lot of functionality for a 2 1/4 " controller.

TruTrac 385

Just finished the third test flight of my TruTrac Vizion 385 autopilot. It replaced my aging TruTrac Digiflight 11G.

My experience is similar to bruceg in that I am impressed with how smooth it fly's the airplane and how easy it is to set Alt/VS functions with what is a relatively small display. (round version) The straight and level button gives additional piece of mind to my non pilot girlfriend.

The supplied adapter/connector for the AP head as well as the new pitch servo, which uses the original connector, made it plug and play.

Don Bodnar
RV7A

Outstanding piece of equipment.

We just made a 280 mile round trip this morning, to South Georgia and back...amazing unit. If you engage it while you're climbing, it syncs to that climb rate and will maintain that rate of climb.

You can preselect altitude and vertical speed before takeoff and in flight, you can program your "descend to" altitude and vs rate of descent....flies the airplane much better than I can.

Best,

+1 what those guys said. I really liked my II VSVG, but the added altitude features in the 385 Vision are great.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Does it fly the approach, missed approach

holding pattern, etc. etc. when coupled to a 430W or 650? -- I am going with a Dynon Skyview panel, but I want a stand-alone autopilot -- leaning toward Trio Pro, but have always been happy with my TruTraks.

Ron

Ron, it will fly a coupled LPV approach and can also do a missed approach by pushing one (Alt) button....into a preprogrammed 500 FPM climb. The manual doesn't say whether or not it will enter the holding pattern. I haven't tried it yet but my gut feeling is that it should enter the hold because I feel that it's part of the approach.

Perhaps TruTrak will chime in.

Best,

We have our own missed approach feature, as Pierre described. However, if you suspend the approach on the GNS430 it will command the autopilot into the holding pattern.

The Vizion and 430W are a great combination. If there's a holding fix in the flight plan, either at an initial approach fix or a missed approach holding fix, the A/P will fly to that fix, execute the recommended entry and track the holding pattern just as it's depicted on the 430.
If the missed approach procedure requires climbing to an altitude before turning toward the missed approach fix, you may have to use the A/P in ground track mode until reaching that altitude.
Pierre mentioned the coupled LPV. It will also track the advisory glide path that is available on most LNAV approaches (LNAV+V).
Another nice feature: If you lose the GPS during an approach, the Vizion will go to a missed approach mode, holding the bank angle and a 500 fpm climb.

Last edited:
Display lighting failure

I am on my second Trutrak my Digiflight 11G integral back lighting failed after about 4 years so I upgraded to the Vizion. Love the features of the Vizion but now it's back lighting is INOP.

Anyone have any similar issues?

Thanks,

Don Bodnar

The 385 combined with the g3x EFIS is really nice. I don't even need to touch the 385, it is all managed thru the g3x. And this is with the Trutrak servos.

Jim

I am on my second Trutrak my Digiflight 11G integral back lighting failed after about 4 years so I upgraded to the Vizion. Love the features of the Vizion but now it's back lighting is INOP.

Anyone have any similar issues?

Thanks,

Don Bodnar

Can you still see letters on the display but the backlight is just off? If so, just give us a call. It should be a simple fix that we can get turned around for you quickly.

Back