What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About to countersink the canopy front bow holes

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
Just want to double check because I cannot find this via google. The AACQ-4-4 rivet countersink angle is 100 degrees correct?

Subpar-

It has been a while but if memory serves me correctly, I believe the AACQ-4-4 rivet has a 120° angle.

You could easily verify that by countersinking a piece of scrap metal using a 120° countersink then cut it in half with a band saw .... then verify the sides of the rivet mate nicely with the sides of the countersink.

big second on using scrap to verify. you can check the angle and get the microstop set perfectly

I believe all the pulled c/s rivets use a 120 degree.

If all the pulled CS rivets are 120 degrees, which rivets are 100 degrees? I'm thinking there may have been times when I used the wrong countersink cutter. Nothing ever looked wrong after it was set, however.

Jerre

If all the pulled CS rivets are 120 degrees, which rivets are 100 degrees? I'm thinking there may have been times when I used the wrong countersink cutter. Nothing ever looked wrong after it was set, however.

Jerre

Solid AN rivets are 100 degrees (AN426AD-3-4, for example)

I believe all the pulled c/s rivets use a 120 degree.

Regarding the pulled rivets used on the RV-12 .... actually, there are some exceptions to the above statement. In particular, one that immediately comes to mind is the use of CCR264SS-3-2 rivets to secure dimpled nutplates ... their heads have a 100° taper. One example of their use is where a rivet squeezer does not have the clearance to squeeze a solid rivet ... such as the upper nutplate riveted onto the flange of a F-1215 seat rib.

Last edited:
Back