What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My new prop from NZ

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
It can finally be made public.

I bought the first prop designed by John McGinnis (Synergy aircraft). It is being made by a new New Zealand company that can be found at:
www.kiwipropellers.com
It is designed for my 7A.
If you are here at OSH, the NZ compound is directly west of the Honda Jet tent a short ways north of show central. there are 3 prototypes there.
On the map as #406.

I am bringing the guys from the OSH NZ exhibit to the social at the beer tent tonight. Doug: come find us and they will probably buy an ad from you. Look for the white ball caps with green logo.

When I have flown the prop I will do my usual, honest, objective write-up

Update

The prop is on its way back to Kiwi-land (New Zealand) for a couple of reasons:

1. It will probably be changed so that it can be installed on my RV without a new extension. It's an issue of part of the blades being aft of the base of the hub in the current version.

2. John, the Mitchells and I all agreed on a good ground-testing plan which will precede putting it on my airplane.

The prop was a big hit at the show and many people expressed interest in having one designed for their airplanes - some of which are not RV's. But that is O.T.

Here are some things that I learned about it:
  • constant Reynolds number
  • 25 custom NLF airfoils blended, all by Synergy designer John McGinnis
  • some L/D ratios on some of the airfoils that are so high I won't say them out loud, here.
  • lift distribution more parabolic than elliptical
  • makes good use of the "q" near the hub
  • twist is less than "normal" because the necessary advance ratio is accomplished with airfoil design.
  • The airfoils adapt in thickness, camber, and design Mach number as they move outward. Keeping the Reynolds number constant prevents unnoticed lift/drag changes as those factors are varied in pursuit of the desired lift distribution.
  • all composite construction - no wood
  • I have not seen it yet but there will be a custom spinner with it
And, yes, the Kiwi's have begun the process of becoming advertisers on this forum. I put them in touch with Doug even though we missed him at the beer tent (where I was told he was not present).

One more thing: a few people tried to compare it to a Paul Lipps prop. I mean no disrespect to the late Mr. Lipps, but, no, that's not even close.

Last edited:
Just noticed the Kiwipropellors website has been suspended.
Does anybody have any more positive news about them?

Kiwi Props

I have not given an update because I have not had anything concrete to say. However, the prop that John McGinnis designed has been redesigned and John tells me that there will be a production version but he did not say when.

The Kiwi folks may come back into it later, but I expect that the first production versions of John's new prop design will be produced in north America.

I still expect to put that prop on my 7A and see what it does. In the meantime I am refining some of my test techniques because I found some deficiencies in them. I will put out an article on that when I have completed the revision.

If things work as I expect, the revised testing and analysis stuff for my airplane will come first and then there will be a write-up on the new prop with the new techniques and analysis.

Sorry for the lack of really specific information. More to come.

Back