What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing hangar HiD lights with LEDs?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but now that I'd doing a lot of building the HiD lights in my hangar are eating me alive. Has anyone replaced theirs with industrial LED fixtures, and if so, which ones?

Thanks

LED lighting can cause a stroboscopic effect with machinery running at the right speeds. Doesn't impact most people unless they are using lathes or grinders or what not. In those cases, a normal halogen bulb close to the tooling and work area reduces the impact of the LED strobing.

I replaced 6 low bay metal halides (which I couldn't give away after) with 7 UFO-style LED fixtures - instant on, more light for less $$$, easy job. Wish that economics had favored the hangar lighting upgrade sooner, but it was clearly time last year to make the change.

So many choices - read reviews, pick a color temp you find pleasing, Amazon makes it easy - to support the CCP - and off you go on lux-laden adventures.

I replaced my flourescent tubes with LEDs 2 years ago. Actually, Rocky Mt Power did the job under a gov't incentive program.
The job entailed discarding the original power supply and replacing the tombstones in the existing fixtures with ones designed for the LED tubes. I chose the "white daylight" color.

ELED's

Go to ELED's and look for the round Hi Bay lights. I replaced my fluorescents with these and kick myself for not doing it sooner. This is a 1800 sq ft hangar at my home. A neighbor put some in and I liked them. They'll run about $140 a piece but well worth it. Clean bright light.

I replaced my flourescent tubes with LEDs 2 years ago. Actually, Rocky Mt Power did the job under a gov't incentive program.
The job entailed discarding the original power supply and replacing the tombstones in the existing fixtures with ones designed for the LED tubes. I chose the "white daylight" color.

Same other than DIY. Rewired fixture, discarding ballasts, but kept tombstones.

Pro: instant on, no hum, slightly brighter. Customer service was great - had early failure on 2 bulbs, they credited my account with no problems. No glass tubes to worry about.

Con: 2 and 1/2 failed tubes in first year. More expensive to purchase, esp. at local big box. Best deal is online, about $60 for 4 pack of 8 foot tubes.

I use the same HF LEDs in my shop that cderk suggested in post #2. They are very bright. But depending on your hangar size, five might not be enough - I have nine in my shop, a smallish double-car garage, and there it's overkill.

Dave

Do yourself a favor and install these. I have 9 in a 2000 sq ft hangar 12 ft ceilings mounted on ceiling 3rd hangar here to install them. They are 18000 lumen and are TERRIFIC to work under. Don't cheap out on lighting, It really makes or breaks a space.
Ok
Lithonia IBG 18000LM SEF AFLGND MVOLT GZ10 40K 80 CRI DNA

I got them for $208 ea in 2019 from greenlighting wholesale. Have them quote it, not just what is on a website.

Last edited:
Notice CRI in led lighting. Stands for color rendering index. 90+ and most people can’t distinguish from incandescent lighting. Instead of that single frequency harsh color (regardless of kelvin rating), you get a much more natural looking light with high CRI. That’s where I spend my money on leds…

I have a 4200 sq ft hangar bay that has 12 halide fixtures that were existing when I bought the place. A year ago, I installed three 26000 lumen hi-bay lights from www.superbrightleds.com, hung along the centerline of the hangar, 18 ft above the floor. I never turn the halides on any more....

my...

I hung my hyper light fixtures at 12'. One in the tail portion of the T and the other two are equally spaced in the wing section of the T.

Beats the heck out of the two incandescent bulbs at 18' on the ceiling!

I put 3 150 watt UFO fixtures in my large Tee hangar...work great!

https://hi-hyperlite.com/products/l...bZmVhjyj0NuEjesE-hPOwg6v1XNECMuwaAsl7EALw_wcB

Thanks. Turns out the guys next door put 2x 200w 5000k lights in theirs and I was impressed, 4x of the 200w 4000k lights and reflectors were just delivered but I've got to leave on a trip, will put them up next week when I come home.

https://www.amazon.com/HYPERLITE-25...642546353&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/HYPERLITE-De...642546070&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1&th=1

Last edited:
The light is... different. I got more sideways light off the HiDs that bounced off the upper corners of the hangar, but the light from these are "cleaner", if that makes any sense. I'll never use them enough to make up the for cost vs the HiDs, but one of the HiDs was going bad and needed to be replaced, so it had to be done.

Attachments

• Hangar lights (2).jpg
    Hangar lights (2).jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Hangar lights (1).jpeg
    Hangar lights (1).jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Back