What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-8 Owner in the Northeast....

Saville

Well Known Member
Well I no longer need to annoy you all in the FS/WTB forum saying I'm looking for an RV-8.

I bought an RV-8 from Billy Copeland in Paris, Tx. After a few days waiting for clearing weather and a couple days dual and solo practice, I flew the plane home, from Paris Tx. (KPRX) to the Beverly Airport (KBVY) on the 9th and 10th of July.

Billy put together a fantastic airplane. I couldn't have asked for higher quality nor a better thought out airplane. In addition, Billy and his wife are the kindest and most hospitable people that can be found anywhere. The time I spent in Texas was most pleasurable.

There are a lot of people I need to thank; many of them not associated with this particular airplane.

Firstly, Smokey Ray who did the Pre-Buy inspection on this airplane. I got a great inspection and lots of excellent advice. I only wish I could have met him there in Tx.

But I also need to thank Tom Berge of Minnesota. Tom inspected another -8 for me and spent countless hours on the phone with me talking about not only that airplane but RV-8's in general. I learned a tremendous amount from him.

And I also need to thank Vic Syracuse. Vic inspected several airplanes for me and I finally got to meet him in South Carolina. Very knowledgeable, very wise, and an excellent PB inspector. You want a plane inspected in the Southeast? Vic is your man. Vic also spent a lot of time with me and even offered to answer questions on a plane I was going to look at in Maine - for free.

A lot of planes were rejects, and I lost a few to other buyers but I'm supremely happy with the airplane I got.

I headed down to Tx. via the airlines on Monday, July the 6th, to pick up the airplane:

I got down there early morning, Monday the 6th hoping to get some practice in and leave the 7th. Wx would not co-operate on Monday. Tuesday Billy and I went up dual where he showed me the systems as well as the Mighty Red River (one of my fave movies). After 3 practice landings, dual, I took it up solo and shot two good ones.

Wx at my hoped-for destination, kept me pinned in Tx so, next day, I took the plane up again solo and shot 4 four more good landings.

Having given up the idea of visiting a friend (and RV-8 owner) in Ohio, I decided to head East and take the bird home. It was a fun and enjoyable 1,430nm, 2 day, XC. I landed in Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia and Connecticut - finally home in Beverly Ma. The airplane performed marvelously. It was also very very comfortable (again thanks to Billy).

So here I am, a new RV-8 owner in the Northeast with a big wide RV-grin. Any other RV owners in the Northeast who want to get together feel free to contact me.

Yep I know all about the photo requirement stuff. Right now the only pictures I have are ones Billy took a while back. None with me in it and no required "RV-Grin" pic yet.

Congratulations Saville. I know you've been looking for quite some time and hope you enjoy your new bird.

Thanks infidel. It's been a long search but actually fun and ultimately highly rewarding.

Saville, CONGRATS!

Stop by KPYM for a closer inspection of your bird!

I will be here until Thursday prepping my plane for my US tour after KOSH.

We have lots of RV's here at KPYM. My hangar mate has an 8 also!

Shoot me a PM for our specific location on the field. We will be having a pig roast this fall!

Talk soon!

:) CJ

Congrats on the new plane! As another new RV owner, I'll second, third and fourth your endorsement of my new friend, Vic Syracuse. Vic did the pre-buy on my RV-4 and probably saved my life. The things he found, and fixed after I decided to buy the airplane, were that important. Beyond that, he's been a huge help as I transitioned to the airplane and gained that all important first 20 hours of experience. Gotta love this community and Vic is one of our most treasured assets!

Great looking -8! Have fun!

Hi Gregg,

Lots of RVs at Nashua (KASH) too...I'm building a 7, and there are three RV-8s also on the north side of the field in adjacent hangars. My email address is on the way via PM.

Dave

Hi Gregg,

Lots of RVs at Nashua (KASH) too...I'm building a 7, and there are three RV-8s also on the north side of the field in adjacent hangars. My email address is on the way via PM.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Wow there are a lot more RV's around here than I imagined. I knew about Bob DiMeo as I got some training in his -8. Nice to learn about the other ones.

We have our own Northeastern Fighter Squadron here!

Recent photo of the airplane...RV-grin photo soon

Took this photo of the airplane yesterday:

Still have to get the obligatory RV-Grin photo but my sister is arriving for a visit and she'll take one.

Took this photo of the airplane yesterday:

Still have to get the obligatory RV-Grin photo but my sister is arriving for a visit and she'll take one.

Nice looking RV. Hope to see you at the Belfast fly-in (KBST) this coming weekend on the 19th.

RV-8

Wonder where you got that RV Gregg ? Missed it this weekend in South Dakota.
Good to see it on Vans
Fly Safe,
BC

Wonder where you got that RV Gregg ? Missed it this weekend in South Dakota.
Good to see it on Vans
Fly Safe,
BC

I got it from this great builder of airplanes who also gives the term "Southern Hospitality" it's great reputation.

Back