What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Center Console

Flyin4Fun

I would like to have a center console in my -7.

I am looking for either a set of plans to build from or a place to purchase a finished one.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

You have a couple of options. Aircraftextras.com sells a pre cut pre drilled kit that will no between the seats and will hold a quadrant as well as a fuel selector. Looks great but reduces the seat width significantly.

Second is not so much of a center console but more for the throttle. This is the one I put in my 7 and loved it. Bonehead composites.com (VAF advertiser) sells a quadrant stack and a center tunnel all made of carbon fiber that looks fantastic and functions even better. He sells carbon floors, cup holders oxygen and extinguisher mounts as well. Very nice products.

Hope this helps.

-david

I'm building my own...check out my site for pics. I'll tell you this, I really love the way its came out, no regrets at all...but it really is a lot of work building one from scratch. So your idea of plans or a finished product is definitely reasonable, if you can find one you like. Mine interfaces with quite a lot...its like a nerve center with the fuel selector fuel lines and throttle quadrant cables.

Think it over very carefully if you really want a centre console. It will make the cabin even more confining and not near as comfortable. On a long cross country this may cause you more discomfort and make the trip more tiring.

Think it over very carefully if you really want a centre console. It will make the cabin even more confining and not near as comfortable. On a long cross country this may cause you more discomfort and make the trip more tiring.

Norman does have a good point. I am not a big guy...5'9" 183 lbs, and if I were much bigger I'd agree to think carefully about it. Its quite amazing how small these cockpits are to be honest. Although, you make the call...its your plane, plenty of guys out there love their center consoles.

At my size, I actually think mine is going to be quite comfortable. The center console gives me a place to rest not only an elbow, but also my right leg. Lastly, I did cardboard mockups to get a feel for just how cozy a center console would make the cockpit before committing to the design. For anyone building their own, keep it as narrow as practical and easy to remove.

While not a center console, after 500 hours with a DJM center throttle quadrant, I can't recommend it enough!

It give me a place to rest my hand when doing formation work or just flying and doesn't take up the room a center console does.

Some day I may swap out my FP Catto for a CS prop and when I do that, I will make bracket below the two lever quadrant to hold a vernier prop controller. That should keep it out of the way when maneuvering yet, keep it close at hand.

Here is a picture of the DJM Throttle with my old panel.

my experience

I purchased the center console from aircraft extras, but I found it to be too wide. My thigh became the aileron stop when I tried to get full aileron deflection. I removed it and used it as a template for a custom carbon fiber version that was much narrower. It was a lot of work to get the throttle, mixture and prop cables to not interfere with the fuel selector shaft, but I like the new version a lot:

30iz4mr.jpg

Last edited:
Some day I may swap out my FP Catto for a CS prop and when I do that, I will make bracket below the two lever quadrant to hold a vernier prop controller. That should keep it out of the way when maneuvering yet, keep it close at hand.

........................... :)

Steve that is *gorgeous*. You don't happen to still have the plans for that, do you? I'm considering doing a Bonehead throttle quadrant in my 9A. But I'd still love to have a center console of some sort to rest my bony right elbow on. :D

Steve that is *gorgeous*. You don't happen to still have the plans for that, do you? I'm considering doing a Bonehead throttle quadrant in my 9A. But I'd still love to have a center console of some sort to rest my bony right elbow on. :D

+1, nicely done Steve. If you have your plans/construction details I'd love to see them.

I assume your version does not interfere with legroom or stick travel.

Those with a Center Console, how do you get under the panel to do any work?

I need to lay right where that console is to do anything under my panel....

Please tell me how you do it.

@Gasman, you do the same thing side-by-side owners with flap handles do. Push the stick to one side, and lay in the space between it and the flap handle or side wall as needed.

I keep thinking it would be nice to have electric flaps so it would be easier to get in there to work. Then I remember that if it wasn't the flap handle, it would be the fuel selector. Or the manual trim. I've worked on both sides of my panel from firewall to back of panel, and haven't even needed to remove a control stick yet (although, the week I had them out to paint them and install the Tosten grips, access to the panel was extremely nice...

Console remove from site

Was there some safety issues with the center console with the throttle quadrant ? I noticed it's not offered on the one site now. I sure would want the center console built structural sound, just not a couple pieces of aluminum sides with the throttle bolted to it. If the console is a demain item, why doesn't vans offer it as an upgrade. I am going to build one in my 9a, but I want it safe. Any photos ,templates or photos would help

Was there some safety issues with the center console with the throttle quadrant ? I noticed it's not offered on the one site now. I sure would want the center console built structural sound, just not a couple pieces of aluminum sides with the throttle bolted to it. If the console is a demain item, why doesn't vans offer it as an upgrade. I am going to build one in my 9a, but I want it safe. Any photos ,templates or photos would help

I purchased the last console from Aircraft Extras. The guy that was making them for Rich wants to get out of the console business. Rich said he needed to find someone else to make them. You may want to email him and ask.

I have the EZ out console (not a center console) from aircraftextras. it does not impact the size of the seats but fits in the gap between the seats and up the flap bar. very useful as an armrest, arm prop for ingress/egress and stowage for flying ****. it will hold an iPad. color matched to my interior and super easy to install/remove when necessary.

You have a couple of options. Aircraftextras.com sells a pre cut pre drilled kit that will no between the seats and will hold a quadrant as well as a fuel selector. Looks great but reduces the seat width significantly.

Second is not so much of a center console but more for the throttle. This is the one I put in my 7 and loved it. Bonehead composites.com (VAF advertiser) sells a quadrant stack and a center tunnel all made of carbon fiber that looks fantastic and functions even better. He sells carbon floors, cup holders oxygen and extinguisher mounts as well. Very nice products.

Hope this helps.

-david

I made this to be even with the side arm rests, and one inch wide, top is secured to flap tunnel. fits the Ipad. has a locking lid and I later put a leather pad on top. makes getting out a lot easier
e00348c8132b1fd74bd35e1591444cae_zpsee63130a.jpg

Back