What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS CPI2

Glad you like the quality of the system.

You should have received a paper copy of this document: http://www.sdsefi.com/em5aviationpinout3.pdf

2 wire sensors are not polarity sensitive.

3 wire connectors are wired 1 orange, 2 white, 3 blue, or A, B, C in that order except:

MAP where C is orange, B is white and A is Blue

TPS - I'll update that from work on Sunday, can't recall for sure

Yeah I have that, and I think CBA are marked on the MAP sensor or connector, but very small. I couldn't figure out the TPS, but haven't tried hard yet.

The machining and finish work is spectacular.

TPS wiring is:

1 orange
2 blue
3 white

Glad you like the machining, I'll pass that along to the guys that do the CNC work. We pride ourselves in making parts pretty and functional.

I had dinner with my drag racing buddy. I brought a injector mount and a coil mount. He said "I don't know that these are, but I want to buy them."

Ross,

Do you have approximate run times on the backup battery for a single and dual controller setup?

I'm intersted in 6 cyl, but I assume the times would be slightly different for 4 cyl too.

A single 4 cylinder setup should run about 90 minutes, dual 4 about 40, single 6 about 60 minutes, dual 6 about 25.

We do have ways of saving more power when on backup by cutting coil charge times (can extend run time by 20-25%) and shutting off one coil pack on dual systems to extend run times on the backup battery past these times.

So if you lose the alternator, you should be able to run many hours on the main battery if it's 18-24 amp hour, when that depleted, then run on the backup for the additional time above.

The CPI-2 will give you visual and aural warning when the alternator goes offline, show you primary and backup battery voltage and automatically switch to backup when the primary voltage falls below a pre-set level.

EDIT- Be aware that battery capacity drops with age/ cycles and temperature extremes. The above is for room temperature conditions and new batteries.

Last edited:
Dimensions of the CPI-2

Ross,

I have been looking for some overall dimensions of the CPI-2 control box and backup battery with the battery box. These would be helpful for planning purposes for those considering the CPI-2. I have looked on your website so forgive me if I have missed them.

Thank you,

CPI2

I believe it?s on page 3 of the installation manual. Go to the CPI2 link scroll to the bottom and you should see the installation link.
Hope that helps

We'll add battery box dimensions to the manual next week. Controller and programmer dimensions are in the latest manual revision.

Beautiful components!

Ross,

Just received the electronics to complete my CPI2 dual system. Wow! It's a shame to burry these parts under the instrument panel. They deserve to be out where people can see them!

One quick question; Other than making sure water doesn't follow the wires into the CPU, is there any specific mounting orientation preference? I will add a drip loop to make sure water intrusion doesn't happen.

Glad you like the parts. You can mount the controller in any orientation as long as the drip loop is there. Otherwise, connectors down if the loop isn't possible.

Ross,

I received my CPI2 dual ignition system along with the SDS backup battery tray. The quality of the machining and finish is exceptional. The wiring harness look fantastic.

Looking forward to the installation.

Thanks,

We've updated the CPI-2 manual again for those interested, near the bottom of the page: http://www.sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Units are trickling out this week. I was away last week which put a crimp in deliveries. Should be back to full force next week.

Time permitting, I'm going to try to shoot a video of the components and basic features of the CPI-2. Not sure when I'll get it edited and uploaded, hopefully early May.

I hope to follow with a more in-depth video explaining all the windows and their functions.

Service Bulletin

April 26/19 Service Bulletin Regarding 18 to 14mm Spark Plug Adapter Installation

Due to a number of broken brass plug adapters, we've changed the procedure for installing these as follows: 1. Thread the spark plug into the adapter 2. Torque the assembly into the cylinder head using the PLUG hex to 19 ft./lbs. 3. Torque the ADAPTER further to 25 ft./lbs.

Use only a thin stripe of anti-seize compound on the plug and adapter. Do not coat the threads. Although we've done multiple yield tests on the adapters torqued into a fixture and they fail at 32-35 ft./lbs., a number of people were snapping them at the originally recommended torque of 22 ft./lbs.

CPI-2 Info Video

Just uploaded this video late last night showing some more details of the hardware and features of the CPI-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq8jIAEU27o&t=323s

On the production front, we are shipping a few out every week from our back order list. The next PCB run is being planned now and parts will be ordered next week. This should allow us to continue production in late June to hopefully complete all the back orders and start on new orders in July.

Our third CNC contractor will be completing approximately 1000 more parts, mainly for the CPI-2 and EM-5 this month, to aid in this production ramp up.

Some have asked the question if a 6 cylinder version is available as that may not have been clear. Yes, just like the original CPI, we released 4 and 6 cylinder versions simultaneously.

Some people have questions about switch layouts on the CPI-2.

Here are some possible ways to wire the controllers:

Hope this helps clarify.

How do the controllers know not to use the backup battery when you open the switches? My concern is how to avoid a “hot” prop, especially without knowing it.

Software needs to see one synch magnet and 2 trigger magnets (4 cylinder) within a certain time span before it will initiate any spark. No chance the engine will fire by turning the prop even a half revolution.

The system will switch to backup battery any time there is no or low voltage (below the set threshold). There is a time out on this feature so it does not run the backup battery down. I believe that is around 30 seconds.

The system is purposely designed to stay active unless you purposely shut it down.

Some people have questions about switch layouts on the CPI-2.

Here are some possible ways to wire the controllers:

Hope this helps clarify.

Ross,

I have a dual CPI-2 with SDS backup battery for my IO-360 with CS prop. RPM is limited to 2700. I intend to use the two switch configuration shown in your diagram.

Looks like your red (high current) wires are 18 gauge but on dual boards there is two. One for each board.

What size wire should I run from the battery to the two (high current) switches depicted in the diagram?

What size should the fusible link be?

Thanks

Hey Charlie, I live near you and would love to come look at your CPI2 setup if possible. Any chance you can private message me or email [email protected]

Ross,

I have a dual CPI-2 with SDS backup battery for my IO-360 with CS prop. RPM is limited to 2700. I intend to use the two switch configuration shown in your diagram.

Looks like your red (high current) wires are 18 gauge but on dual boards there is two. One for each board.

What size wire should I run from the battery to the two (high current) switches depicted in the diagram?

What size should the fusible link be?

Thanks

Pictures of CPI2 with back up battery

Guys,

I am on Ross's list for a CPI2 duel ignition with a backup battery. I would love to see pictures of your installation if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

New Info

I uploaded a new supplement for Lycoming CPI-2 engine hardware which should help to better clarify details on the coil pack, crank sensor and bracket plus spark plug and wire assembly/mounting: http://sdsefi.com/cpi2lychard2.pdf

One thing we have seen many times now on the CPI and EM-5 is that people measure their front crankcase bolt spacing incorrectly so they get the wrong crank sensor mount supplied. This costs time and money for both parties.

It is a bit difficult to measure that dimension with the flywheel installed so I suggest using a strip of thin cardboard that can be inserted inside the flywheel to rest against the case through-bolt tips. Cut this to 3.50 inches long and see if the edges line up with both bolt centerlines. If the gauge is too wide, trim length to 3.25 and try again. The dimension will be either 3.25 or 3.50.

Update on the next batch of CPI-2 boards- we started shipping parts to the PCB loading facility already and hope these will be in production process by the second week in June. We've also stock piled lots of 4 and 6 cylinder coil packs, mag covers, spark plug adapters, crank sensors and mounts. We hope to be able to ramp up output as soon as we receive the completed boards back.

BTW, thanks to our new customers who've given us feedback to improve the documentation for this product. Always welcome.

Last edited:
The second set of boards and components are now at the loading/ soldering facility. Looking forward to having completed boards in hand later this month and clearing the order backlog.

sds cpi-2 progress

I am close to flying my 20 year old RV6 with newly installed CPI-2. I removed an original LS for the SDS.
Some of the issues I ran into were, first, the plan was to purchase the dual system, using only one side of the system and keeping one mag until I was confident in the system. Ross and Barry thought this would work fine. It didn't. The CPI-2 is a smart system, and gave me the red fault light with 3 faults when I first powered up the system. Because the controller is a dual board, the primary board that I wanted to use wanted to communicate with the second board which I had not powered up yet. Also, the system was looking for the back up battery because it was a dual system. So, I ordered more circuit breakers, switches, backup battery and holder, and installed them. Red fault light gone with no faults showing on the controller. Barry figured this one out for me and I am sure he is amending the installation instructions.

Next, the diagram that I received showing the "mag cut" wire hook up wasn't correct. Again, Barry to the rescue. New wiring instructions were sent to me.

I wasn't aware of the recent You Tube videos by Ross, showing a lot more of the system than is shown in the instructions. Also, be sure and download the latest instructions, don't rely on what is sent to you as there might have been changes. This created a few problems for me until I watched the videos. There is a LOT of good info in the videos

I ran my engine again this morning and checked everything. All is good except my Dynon is not showing RPM from SDS. I'm still working on this issue. So, I am close. Through all of this, Barry and Ross have been EXCEPTIONAL in quick responses and fixes to the various issues. I can't say enough about the support from them.

When you go through the set up instructions is when you can really appreciate what a GREAT system the CPI-2 is. Thanks Barry and Ross
Bruce Estes

Thanks Bruce. Your feedback is leading us to revise a couple things in the manual to improve clarity and you uncovered something in the software which was giving you the gibberish on one line of the display due to that setting. Barry found the reason and rectified that now.

Thanks for your patience. The manual is pretty long but most things are just set up initially and then not used again but those setups are critical for the device to work properly. It will detect most things which are not set right and give a fault warning.

Sorry about not sending you all the documentation you should have received. That was my oversight.

The unit outputs a 12V square wave tach signal, 2 pulses per crank rev on 4 cylinders, 3 on 6 cylinders engines. Hopefully the Dynon can be configured for that.

Last edited:
The unit outputs a 12V square wave tach signal, 2 pulses per crank rev on 4 cylinders, 3 on 6 cylinders engines. Hopefully the Dynon can be configured for that.

This is of interest to me; I'm planning on going with the CPI2 and a Skyview panel. Here's what the Skyview install guide has to say about RPM inputs:

The SV-EMS-220/221’s Standard Voltage RPM inputs can read frequency-based RPM signals, provided the peak voltages goes at least 5.1 volts above ground, and crosses back down below 2.0V relative to ground. If the peak voltage exceeds 50 volts, use the included 30 kΩ resistors as described in the P-lead pickoff (Lycoming and Continental) Section above.

For signals that have a peak voltage of 12V or lower —such as Light Speed ignition outputs— use the low voltage RPM inputs. These inputs require that the peak voltage goes at least 2.1 volts above ground, and crosses back down below 0.8V relative to ground to be counted as a pulse.

For signals that have a peak voltage of 10-12V, either the Standard or Low Voltage RPM inputs can be used.

Like the other methods above, you must know the number of pulses per revolution for your RPM transducer.

So it certainly seems like the CPI2 ought to be able to drive the Skyview tach input with the proper configuration.

So, I ordered more circuit breakers, switches, backup battery and holder, and installed them.

Bruce - I'd love to see pictures showing how you mounted both the main controller board housing & the backup battery holder. I'm working on the install on my RV-7A, just finished FWF & moving to the stuff behind the panel.

Thanks!

David: The empty space behind my panel is VERY limited because I have a LOT of Dynon stuff. So, I mounted the controller on the forward side of the bulkhead forward of the instrument panel. Not the easiest to get to with a slider, but it works. I mounted the backup battery forward of the fuel selector. I installed an Airflow Performance fuel pump forward of the fuel selector last year by making a plate that fits between the two floor stringers forward of the fuel selector. This plate is flush with the top of the stringers and attaches with screws thru the side of the stringers. The pump sits on top of this mounting plate. I lengthened this plate and mounted the back up battery on this plate, forward of the fuel pump. Everything is covered by a sheet metal console that attaches to the plate. I covered this console in black carpet to match my floor carpet and the console is barely noticeable. Bruce Estes

Toolbuilder: I don't check my P.M.'s on a regular basis so sorry for not getting back to you. I really prefer email as that gets checked often. Compressions are stock and I have the dual controller. Bruce Estes

David: The empty space behind my panel is VERY limited because I have a LOT of Dynon stuff. So, I mounted the controller on the forward side of the bulkhead forward of the instrument panel. Not the easiest to get to with a slider, but it works. I mounted the backup battery forward of the fuel selector. I installed an Airflow Performance fuel pump forward of the fuel selector last year by making a plate that fits between the two floor stringers forward of the fuel selector. This plate is flush with the top of the stringers and attaches with screws thru the side of the stringers. The pump sits on top of this mounting plate. I lengthened this plate and mounted the back up battery on this plate, forward of the fuel pump. Everything is covered by a sheet metal console that attaches to the plate. I covered this console in black carpet to match my floor carpet and the console is barely noticeable. Bruce Estes

Bruce - thanks for the detailed write-up, it has given me some ideas.

It flies

Did my first flight today since installing the SDS CPI-2 electronic ignition, using only one system initially. Almost everything worked as expected, no surprises. Only flew for about one hour. I still don?t have a tach signal on my Skyview from the SDS, but Dynon is going to help me tomorrow. The SDS is not plug and play like some other electronic ignitions, but has MANY features not available on any other system. Barry and Ross from SDS have been great to work with on this installation. Bruce Estes

Did my first flight today since installing the SDS CPI-2 electronic ignition, using only one system initially. Almost everything worked as expected, no surprises. Only flew for about one hour. I still don?t have a tach signal on my Skyview from the SDS, but Dynon is going to help me tomorrow. The SDS is not plug and play like some other electronic ignitions, but has MANY features not available on any other system. Barry and Ross from SDS have been great to work with on this installation. Bruce Estes

Great news Bruce! Glad it worked out.

There is insufficient resolution with the triggering setup and there would be other hardware required. Something like this would have added 6-12 more months to development and product release on something which already took a year more than expected to develop test and test.

HELP

My CPI-2 is running but I have an issue that Dynon and SDS have not been able to solve. I get a 0 RPM reading from my Skyview when I kill the mag. I am running one side of of the dual SDS system, retaining my mag until I am comfortable with the SDS system. Has anyone who is running an earlier SDS CPI system and Dynon Skyview run into this and how did they solve the problem? Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks, Bruce Estes

So when you ground the magneto, you get no RPM reading on the Dynon? Is the magneto the source for your RPM signal?

Dynon reads a mag/ignition signal. If one signal goes away, like a mag check, Dynon immediately reads the other signal. When I kill the mag during a runup mag check, the Dynon reads 0 rpm. There are two inputs to the Skyview.
Per Dynon, I?ve tried both of them. There is only one output from SDS. I tried with no resistors and then tried with resistors recommended by SDS. No success. The Skyview config options only deal with pulses per minute so I think Ishould get something, even if not accurate, for a tach readout from SDS to my Skyview. I am open to any suggestions to fix this problem.

Also, my plan is to run one side of my dual system for a while, then complete the wiring, dump the remaining mag, and go all EI. But, I need the Skyview to read the signal from SDS, otherwise I will not have a rpm reading with the dual system. Thus, the importance of getting this solved now. Bruce Estes

Success

Barry from SDS contacted me last night (Sunday). They found THEIR mistake in a wiring harness. I made the correction this morning and I now have a tach reading from the CPI-2. Flew for .5. I now have 2 hours on the system and all is good. Now on to more tuning and testing. Bruce Estes

Glad this got figured out and Barry is very embarrassed at the wiring error.

A revised manual has been uploaded to the CPI-2 and Aircraft Documentation area pages today. All users, please reference this one as it corrects and clarifies some of the wiring issues on the tach and kill switch wires, specifically pages 4-6. It also has more guidance on hooking up to Garmin, Dynon and AFS glass.

New Boards Are In!

We finally received our 2nd batch shipment of CPI-2 boards from the loading/ soldering facility today so can start filling new orders late next week.

There is a small order backlog still waiting to fill and we'll handle those first.

If you're ready to pull the trigger on an EI, check out the CPI-2. Lots of advanced features, competitive pricing, no starting kickbacks, no lost timing events, no blast tubes, no inspections, no bearing or gears to fail.

It's fully user programmable so you can optimize the timing curve for YOUR engine, suiting the fuel you use, compression ratio, forced induction and whether you fly LOP.

We have both single and dual, 4 and 6 cylinder systems available.

Backup Battery Tray Kit

Here is the optional battery tray kit we offer for the CPI-2. Mount the tray with the provided hardware in a convenient corner.

All the wiring is done for you, just plug the connectors into the ECU and Powersonic PS-1227 battery. Fusing is provided right on the tray.

The ECU monitors and charges the battery as needed.

Post Osh Update

Lots of CPI-2 interest at Osh. We're cranking out several CPI-2 kits per week here now, mostly for 6 cylinder engines. Thanks to the folks who placed orders after Osh.

We should be caught up and back at 2 day order to ship times by Aug. 19.

If I installed this on my airplane, when I press the LOP button, what will I see?

Lets say I have a 180 hp Lycoming IO-360 with Bendix RSA fuel injection. The injectors are balanced, and I install your CPI-2 product to replace both Mags. Cruising at 8000' at 60% power and have the timing set lets say to 25 BTDC. What about 10,000' or 12,000'?

I'm guessing EGT decline, CHT's rise.....will I see airspeed rise too? How much?

Back