What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot-Static check for IFR

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if there are any shops/person near Sacramento that does Pitot-Static check for Garmin. I had used John at NorthCoast services in the past by he declines to do Garmin due to expressed difficulties/restrictions imposed by Garmin. I am not sure exactly why but he declined to do my new plane which has G3X touch system.

I don’t have an answer for you but I’d like to know more about this supposed “Garmin” issue. I’ve got a total Garmin panel and have had my system checked 3 times now: the first 2 when I had a Gretz pitot by shop #1 and the 3rd time after I installed a Garmin pitot (GAP 26) by shop #2. Neither shop batted an eye at my equipment nor my E-AB certification.

Last edited:
I suppose he is referring to the possibility of damaging the sensors inside the AHRS if the check is not done according to Garmin’s guidance?

I doubt the risk of damage is isolated to the Garmin brand.

Call JR at Precision Static at Livermore. He comes to you. I?ve used him for several years and several of us at Lincoln now use him. 925 449-5904. Tell JR that Bruce recommended him. Bruce Estes

Call JR at Precision Static at Livermore. He comes to you. I?ve used him for several years and several of us at Lincoln now use him. 925 449-5904. Tell JR that Bruce recommended him. Bruce Estes
Thank you Bruce, called them and scheduled hopefully for next week.

There is an internal leak in the GAP26 pitot, the test issue is addressed in the Garmin installation manual. I just had the test guy remove the AOA and Pitot tubes then connect to a tee.

pitot check

Re the Gap26 leak, the pitot check is not required for IFR. Only the static check and transponder check.

Re the Gap26 leak, the pitot check is not required for IFR. Only the static check and transponder check.

It's not a pitot check per se, but the equipment used requires connecting to the pitot from what I saw when they did my 411/413 checks. In fact, to get my G3X to display altitudes properly the tech needed to induce a bit of forward velocity into the system. YMMV.....

It's not a pitot check per se, but the equipment used requires connecting to the pitot from what I saw when they did my 411/413 checks. In fact, to get my G3X to display altitudes properly the tech needed to induce a bit of forward velocity into the system. YMMV.....
From what I was told, they will need to connect to all three ports (pitot, static and AOA) in order to complete the test safely. He mentioned that Garmin instruction says, damage may accrue if not connected to all three ports.

+1

As you reduce the pressure on the static, you must also do the same on the pitot, lest you blow out your diaphragms/sensors. It VERY difficult for the tester to manintain any type of balance between the two with a pitot leak.

Not 100% sure this still applies with electronic AHRS, but I assume it does.

Larry

Last edited:
Back