What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SC Glamping?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
All,

I am looking at putting a few Cabins on a grass strip in SC for a fly-in Airbnb. I guess you could call it a true "Airbnb".

Anyway, I wanted to see if there would be any interest for something like that before pulling the trigger on a cabin or two.

I know folks love new places to fly into and this would be a pay by night gig. Taxi to your cabin and glamp away for the weekend.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

D

Last edited:
I would be interested. Thought about doing the same thing in the TX hill country somewhere. I don't think the market is big enough to support fly in only; unless you have prime real estate; and then the property the runway was on would be worth more as cabins. I've thought about it many different ways, but get back to the same results.

About the only way I figured it would work would be a retirement house, maybe setup bed and breakfast type with several small cabins, expecting not to make money but give the wife and I something to do.

I'd give it a try for a night. if there was a convenient way to get supplies and provisions without having to bring them in the airplane it would be a real plus + since ground transportation is usually problematic. Are there any local attractions then again if so are they within reasonable walking distance?

All,

I am looking at putting a few Cabins on a grass strip in SC for a fly-in Airbnb. I guess you could call it a true "Airbnb".

Anyway, I wanted to see if there would be any interest for something like that before pulling the trigger on a cabin or two.

I know folks love new places to fly into and this would be a pay by night gig. Taxi to your cabin and glamp away for the weekend.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

D
Look at what Pam and Zen Boulden did at Byrd's Adventure Center in Arkansas. They have a multiple activity venue in the Ozarks. Their key to success, IMO, is the multiple activities you can do onsite. They attract mud buggy/rock crawler/jeep people, "greenie" kayakers, RV campers, flyers, bikers, fishermen. Check them out if you're in the NW AR area.

I am sure there would be a good response to your plan. I'm certainly interested in learning more.

Yepper

Was just checking out a similar setup in WV this morning, Heavens Landing at 4WV4

Thanks guy, once I have something up and running, the VAF community will be the first to know!

Thanks,
D

Not many local attraction but I will be working on a few ideas. More to come.

We're always looking for places to fly and explore. We travel with our dog, so dog friendly a plus. We like to walk/hike, so trails and food within walking distance both pluses. Also look for nearby mogas for our Rotax.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS
Rotax 914

Bedford landings in Virginia

There is a nice B&B on a private strip, Smith Mountain lake in Virginia. Its owned by a repeat RV builder and is a very nice venue. I have been to the airport, but not stayed at the BB yet, though a friend has a couple times, and rates it very well. https://bedfordlandings.com/

Yes!

Please build it, we would be there several times a year. We live in SC and would love not to have to fly several hours each way to find great places to go. We enjoy Triple Tree and thanks to this thread have a couple places to check out up North in the Virginias this coming Spring.

Please include a place to have a fire and some wood. I would gladly pay $200 a night for a place that was nice where I could take my wife for a fun little get away.

A "food guide" would be helpful. Now with Uber Eats etc. it might be easy, if the cabins aren't too far out in the woods.

Another option is to have a car available for a fee. I'd pay for that too, the convenience would be worth it.

I'm looking forward to visiting more places in our RV come Spring.

All,

D

We would fly to that. Will be about 4 years for us to get relocated to a state in the same timezone.

Back