What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv8 Landing gear bolts

Hey all, I am working on tightening the always popular landing gear bolts on my -8. I did not build the plane so I do not have plans and would like to see a visualization of what is in the gear box so I can have an idea of the best way to get at the heads of the bolts. Anyone have a photo of that page in the plans or a link to where its available?

Thank you,
Jonathan

That will depend on how many fuel, brake, wires, cables and etc the builder ran through the gear towers. Best way would be look with a mirror in your plane. Those bolts can be reversed with the heads up and locked. Then it is a simple one man job to torque them from below. You may also want to do a search for the high strength nuts to replace Vans supplied ones.

Anybody know where to get the metal bolt clips for the gear bolt mod?

+1 on this. I'm extremely interested in buying or fabricating clips like that when the time comes to final-install my gear legs.

Anybody know where to get the metal bolt clips for the gear bolt mod?

I have two sets I purchased that I wont be using. I have the grove gear, and the don't work as well with the Grove gear since the bolts need to come down from the top. I paid $40 per set (4 total) and if you are interested in a set, I'll ship you a set for that. Send me an email (preferred) or PM by clicking on my username.

Brian

I have two sets I purchased that I wont be using. I have the grove gear, and the don't work as well with the Grove gear since the bolts need to come down from the top. I paid $40 per set (4 total) and if you are interested in a set, I'll ship you a set for that. Send me an email (preferred) or PM by clicking on my username.

Brian

I have Grove gear also and the clips worked just fine.

Back