What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerovoltz batteries in rv

skidookid

Looking to replace my pc 680 battery. Last 2 pc 680 batteries having problem cranking in cool weather. Was told by odessy to set charging voltage to 14.7 no better cranking. Did all test , on wiring and relays no voltage drop in wiring when cranking. Skytech Starter tested good. Cranking in cool weather 45 degrees pulls battery down to 9 volts at starter and on top of battery post. Just barley starts. After starting and warmup cranks ok. Not a lot of reserve power. Any one using aerovoltz batteries.

Last edited:
The company that used to make the Aerovoltz went out of business. They have a new supplier and it looks like it is this battery: Deltran BTL24A480CW with a different label. I have used both in AC and in cars. I have the BTL24A480CW in the RV-4 behind a high compression I0-360 now. Works fine. Cranks faster than the PC680 but probably doesn't have the same total cranking time. The Deltran is about $100 cheaper.

Did you test the starter and solenoids when they were 45 degrees?

OP's question was: "Any one using aerovoltz batteries?" :rolleyes:

If you're using the Skytec lightweight PM starter that is likely the problem as they draw huge amounts of current compared to a wire wound starter like the B&C or Skytel NL.
As a data point: I have a high compression 360 with B&C starter, cranks fine in cold temps with PC680.

From what I was able to find on the web, the Deltran BTL24A480CW battery is only 8 Amp Hours. If true, it might crank the engine well, but it wouldn't last very long after an alternator failure.

I have had success with PowerSonic batteries, 12v, 18 to 22 AH. There are lots of similar batteries with different brands. My guess is that they are all made in the same factory, with different labels on them. And you have your choice of terminal types.

Don't get a "Deep Cycle" battery, instead, look for one with high cranking amps, i.e. a Starter battery.

IMHO, Odyssey batteries are over-valued. [i.e. Too Expensive]

My $0.02 worth........., and YMMV!

Edit: As usual, Walt makes a very good point about the starter.....

Last edited:
From what I was able to find on the web, the Deltran BTL24A480CW battery is only 8 Amp Hours. If true, it might crank the engine well, but it wouldn't last very long after an alternator failure.

I have had success with PowerSonic batteries, 12v, 18 to 22 AH. There are lots of similar batteries with different brands. My guess is that they are all made in the same factory, with different labels on them. And you have your choice of terminal types.

Don't get a "Deep Cycle" battery, instead, look for one with high cranking amps, i.e. a Starter battery.

IMHO, Odyssey batteries are over-valued. [i.e. Too Expensive]

My $0.02 worth........., and YMMV!

Edit: As usual, Walt makes a very good point about the starter.....

I use powersonic as well and happy with their performance.

Back