What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX dual screen, Managing USB drives-Locations and WI FI adapter

Just about to fire the Avionics up, Delivered from Stein 2-22. From the read-me It looks like most of it is ready to go for us. I have Seattle AV

It looks like just a few things have changed on the Vans download page from February to now.

Do i put one usb with the charts, TFR, ect in the back of the display along with one of the WI FI adapters? Then use slingshot to keep it updated?

will that leave the USB slot under the panel free for flight data downloads during phase one flyoff?

I think i can figure out how to update the few files that have changed for example the checklist is now R-2,

I have to say the readme is not easy to follow.

I put the wi-fi modules in the rear USB ports, but not the chart drive. Every 28 days you’ll be updating the charts & obstacle database. I’ve found the slingshot feature to be too lengthy for me, so keep the charts data on a drive on the harness USB port so it’s easy to swap out. Also, I like to download the user data files from each flight and copy them to my pc at home. Allows me to go back and analyze any flight data at a later date, especially if I’m looking for trends.

Last edited:
USB Extender cable instead

Just get a short USB male-to-female extender cable for each display. Cut a just-big-enough slot in the floor of the instrument compartment, put the female end through, then drill a couple of small holes and use a cable tie to secure the wire to the underside of the panel (pointing aft) out of the way, but accessible. In my single screen system, I fan the extender cable into the glove box, but you don't have that.

For the monthly nav updates - USB update to just one screen will transfer from one screen to the other over the ethernet cable, but the system software updates (about twice a year) have to be done individually from USB to each screen. (Not familiar with the slingshot process.)

The new IS has a third remote USB slot under the avionics shelf and the two in the back of the display. sounds like i will put the WI-FI adapters in the back of the displays and the charts under the tray. I guess i just pull the chart usb under the tray and insert one to download the flight data i want to review then put the chart USB back in place.

Im sure it will be more clear once i try it.

Back