What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's new carbon fiber wingtips & AeroLEDs VXI

Van's new carbon fiber wingtips & AeroLEDs VXi

Has anyone pulled the trigger on this new setup?

Last edited:
I am planning on it. I just got back from Oshgosh. I believe as long as your order by August 14th you save about 10%. It was just released before the show and the folks at the show asked me to place the order when I got home.

I am planning on it. I just got back from Oshgosh. I believe as long as your order by August 14th you save about 10%. It was just released before the show and the folks at the show asked me to place the order when I got home.

Right, 15% if ordered by 8/15.

Has anyone pulled the trigger on this new setup?

Does the $3K+ include the wingtips as well as light system? Dues that also include the power supply? If you get those CF wingtips I would not count on the Archer style VOR antenna to work for those that want to install them.

Does the $3K+ include the wingtips as well as light system? Dues that also include the power supply? If you get those CF wingtips I would not count on the Archer style VOR antenna to work for those that want to install them.
Yes. No mention of whether it has or needs a power supply. Good point about the Archer antenna.

Two things I learned today via email with Ryan at Aeroleds:

1. It will be MFG’d in either Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass. If you want to go fiberglass, then you can still put the VOR antenna in the wingtip.
  2. To get the discount you need to order now and put down 50%. Shipping in Q1 2023.

I am going to ask about power schematics, wig wag, and integration with tail light too.

I ordered the -14 wing kit with AeroLEDs in February, set to crate soon, and was under the impression the wingtips were included. Is that incorrect? This topic is an additional option and cost?

I ordered the -14 wing kit with AeroLEDs in February, set to crate soon, and was under the impression the wingtips were included. Is that incorrect? This topic is an additional option and cost?

These are aftermarket wing tips. You would save a few hundred dollars deleting the stock wing tips and mounting hardware/structure. With this wing tip you could also substitute stock OB LE wing skin with one that doesn't have the cutout for the lights, but it'll cost you an extra $100/skin. The net cost of these tips would get closer to $3k overall.

These wingtip/lighting kits will be available in either carbon fiber or fiberglass and will include the AeroLEDs lighting as well as the composite tips. The lights are installed into the wingtips by the builder using an adhesive like Sikaflex and fasteners.

Available to order for RV-7/8/10/14. We will share additional details soon.

Good catch on nav antenna compatibility

If you get those CF wingtips I would not count on the Archer style VOR antenna to work for those that want to install them.
Good catch. Very good catch. Carbon fiber is conductive and will probably block the VOR/ILS signals. If they offer fiberglass, and you want antennas in your wingtips, go with fiberglass, which they say will be offered. But also pay attention to the Archer antenna wiring instructions. May not be feasible to wire the lights as instructed. And I don't know about the room inside the tip, or how to attach the Archer antenna inside the tip. I would ask AeroLeds to make a written promise that it will work, or I would look for a cat whisker, dual blade, or (shudder) towel bar alternative for the nav antenna.

Last edited:
The lights are installed into the wingtips by the builder using an adhesive like Sikaflex and fasteners.

Available to order for RV-7/8/10/14. We will share additional details soon.
Soon as in before the 15% discount expires mid-August? The word "adhesive" makes me nervous, because it makes me wonder about wingtip removability.

The adhesive is to bond the lights into the wingtips, nothing to do with attaching the wingtips to the wings themselves.

Already have my wing kit for my -14 build. Leading edge already cut out for lights/ lenses. Staying the course.

Does anyone know if the carbon fiber version of these wingtips will be finish quality? In other words, can you sand and clearcoat the tips and have them look like, say an Aerosport instrument panel?

The wingtips are coated during the manufacturing process, and so the carbon fiber is not visible. The layup is not done in a way that wouldn't appear as a "pretty" pattern if it was clear-coated, plus it would be a heavier finished part and substantially more costly to provide a clear-coat, showroom finish version. Pinhole filling material is first sprayed in the mold, and the cloth is laid up to be as light as possible.

The wingtips are coated during the manufacturing process, and so the carbon fiber is not visible. The layup is not done in a way that wouldn't appear as a "pretty" pattern if it was clear-coated, plus it would be a heavier finished part and substantially more costly to provide a clear-coat, showroom finish version. Pinhole filling material is first sprayed in the mold, and the cloth is laid up to be as light as possible.

How much lighter is this wingtip compared to the standard FG one?

Thanks Greg. I have delayed going to paint for these wingtips, but it sounds like they might not actually ship Q1 2023 anyway - so I’ll probably just keep the tips and Aerosun VX lights I already have.

Thanks Greg. I have delayed going to paint for these wingtips, but it sounds like they might not actually ship Q1 2023 anyway - so I’ll probably just keep the tips and Aerosun VX lights I already have.

Hi Krea - Yes, the first orders will not begin shipping until the (currently estimated) timeframe of late January or early February. So Q1 initial shipping is accurate per the plan as it sits right now.

I just ordered my wing kit and I'd like to get these new VXi wing tips. I'd prefer to order the carbon fiber version but if I do, is there an alternative way to mount a VOR antenna other than the wing tips that isn't a "hack"? I don't plan to do any VOR navigation but I'd like my plane to be equipped for it.

Finally, somebody mentioned in a different thread that the standard wing leading edge had a cut out for lights that wouldn't be necessary with these VXi wing tip lights. If that's the case, does Vans offer a leading edge wing skin without the cutouts?

Sorry for the rookie questions but I'm a first time builder and don't even know enough to figure out what questions to ask. Thanks for your help and understanding.

I just ordered my wing kit and I'd like to get these new VXi wing tips. I'd prefer to order the carbon fiber version but if I do, is there an alternative way to mount a VOR antenna other than the wing tips that isn't a "hack"? I don't plan to do any VOR navigation but I'd like my plane to be equipped for it.

Finally, somebody mentioned in a different thread that the standard wing leading edge had a cut out for lights that wouldn't be necessary with these VXi wing tip lights. If that's the case, does Vans offer a leading edge wing skin without the cutouts?

Sorry for the rookie questions but I'm a first time builder and don't even know enough to figure out what questions to ask. Thanks for your help and understanding.

I put my order in for these back in the Summer of '22. Van's has told me they will have a prototype at Sun 'n Fun.

I also went for the carbon fiber. I believe this precludes using the Archer wingtip antenna, but you could always install something like the RAMI VOR antenna on the tail where the ADSB antenna normally goes depending on what your ADSB situation is.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/av532L.php

Anyway, yes, you can specify your wing kit without the light cutouts. You will pay an extra for the privilege. You can also delete a few other bits and pieces from your wing order. I summarized this a couple years ago when I did this. I was planning on ZipTips at the time.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1528662&postcount=15

Has anybody received an update on availability of the AeroSun VXi wingtip lights? I ordered mine in March and haven't heard anything since.

Thanks for the update Krea!

Greg mentioned earlier in this thread that they would be available in Q1 (2023) and since I hadn't heard anything I was wondering if they still planned to sell them. I probably won't be starting on my wings until next year so I'll gladly wait for them to fine tune production to improve quality.

On a different note, I'm also waiting on the Beringer wheel/brake option for the -14 that was supposed to be available in April :-(

I'm not in a hurry for that either so it's no big deal. But, I do see the pattern of new product availability differing significantly from initial estimates. Elon time...

I know I can buy the Beringer gear from other sources. It would just be more convenient to get it directly from Vans as part of the kits.

Brakes

Since Vans refused to even answer queries about how to buy from them I bought my brakes etc from Beringer at their booth at Osh. The sales guy said they took 300 orders. He gave me a discount and a cool hat. I received mine within 3 weeks. I recommend you go straight to the source. Vans clearly doesn’t have the bandwidth to deal with these things right now.

Greg Beckner
Emp, HS, rudder, elevator, wings, flaps etc all finished and ready for recycling. Thanks Van.

I placed an order for the carbon fiber wingtips and integrated VXi lights in Aug 2022 and have been patiently waiting. After looking in the store today, I see they are now listed as No Longer Available. So I suspect these are a casuality of the bankruptcy situation. Guess I'm going over to Aveo for their Zip Tips now as I specified no landing light hole in my leading edge and deleted the wingtips from my original wing order.

https://store.vansaircraft.com/ln-aerosun-wingtips-10-14-cf.html

I placed an order for the carbon fiber wingtips and integrated VXi lights in Aug 2022 and have been patiently waiting. After looking in the store today, I see they are now listed as No Longer Available. So I suspect these are a casuality of the bankruptcy situation. Guess I'm going over to Aveo for their Zip Tips now as I specified no landing light hole in my leading edge and deleted the wingtips from my original wing order.

https://store.vansaircraft.com/ln-aerosun-wingtips-10-14-cf.html

Guess I'll be doing the same thing :-(

I installed an early set of Aveo ZipTips on my -7 and am quite pleased with them. They even updated my lighting modules at no charge. Not sure if I got lucky, but the fit was right on the money. I believe they have made some improvements over the original design.

I just talked with AeroLED’s. The wingtips and lights will be available directly from them.

Issue you may have with either AeroLED’s or ZipTips is Van’s new policy of no deletions. You’ll be stuck with the stock tips either way.

Back