What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tent for Oshkosh storms

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
After 3 Oshkosh storms in the last 3 years my Kelty tent gave up the ghost for good last year and was retired to the dumpster after a short service :)

It is now time to find a replacement for this years event. The Kelty was a trail Ridge 6 which is a great tent that you can stand up in, but its size (height) was a problem with the straight winds we have seen at Osh in recent years and the aluminum poles just bent and the rain tended to drive up under the flysheet.

As I am too old to be rolling around on the floor trying to get my jeans on in the morning in a pup tent, I am looking for some suggestions/recommendations for a decent size tent (I am 6' 3") that is robust enough to withstand the typical Osh annual storm. The Kelty weighed 18lbs which was not bad.

Before someone suggests the dorms etc. I enjoy the camaraderie of my flying buddies and fellow campers and cooking out in the pavilion.

Appreciate any inputs.
Figs

Our Cabelas Alaska Guide tent has weathered everything Mother Nature can throw at it in the North 40, for years. It is not in-expensive but it handles the weather and you will be dry.

Tent

I'm no expert but my tent has seen some horrible weather and I've never seen a rain drop inside. Too many years to count but at least 20. Dozen uses every year. Winds so high the top was pushed down almost flat. I felt it folding over in Big Bend. It's seen rain so heavy, my friends were all swimming in the morning. I was dry. It's just a Coleman 4 person about 9x7. No model but they haven't changed much. I can stand up in the center. I recommend a tent with just two fiberglass poles and one fiberglass pole for the rain fly. Easy to set up. I hate those fancy tents with all the weird poles. I also prefer a tent with one door and one window. The door zipper should zip from bottom to top. Racoons know how to work zippers. Always zip to the top. Woke once in Davis State Park and a coon was rifling through my friends motorcycle tank bag like it was a gold mine. I have a waterproof canvas tarp the same dimension as the tent. I spray it with bug spray before setting the tent. 20 years and it's fully impregnated with bug spray. The corner stakes go through the tent and tarp grommets and keep it tight. Never seen a bug inside either.
This is the current version
https://a.co/d/6n96hX3
Also a big fan of Thermorest mattresses. The big one is really comfortable and won't go flat.
Wife and I use two. Basically a queen when they are both together.

Last edited:
The Best Tent!

This upcoming year will be my 34th year of volunteering.....or is it 35...:D at OSH. I also went through a succession of tents and always had two air mattresses: one for myself and one I called my "personal flotation device" for putting my things on. I finally landed on the Cabela's Alaskan Guide as THE BEST. It has put up with every storm OSH has dished out including that one last year that collapsed more tents than I have seen for a while.

I actually have two models: a 6 man we use at OSH (my SO needs room! :)) and a 4 man we use when we are camping in the Mountains. We can stand up in both of them. I have not gotten wet since I bought these tents. Wind: not an issue if properly braced. Both of mine have the aluminum poles but some have the fiberglass poles: heavier.

I volunteer for the Vintage Division and, if you go over to where we live onfield, under The Trees, you will find a place we affectionately call Camp Cabela as nearly EVERYone who volunteers for us has a Cabela tent! It is fun to see! There must be 20 or more Cabela tents of various sizes. Some of our campers have opted for the 8 man (PLENTY of room!) but there are 6 and 4 man tents there as well. There are even two 8 man tents hooked together with a vestibule! We are SERIOUS!

No, I don't work for Cabelas. There just are few tents that are better.... In fact, my SO works for a local competitor called JAX. They have a lot of outdoor gear but not those tents. They sell Nemo, which are also excellent tents.

Last edited:
For reference

Dave,

Just for reference, mine is a Kelty Bode and as you know withstood the storm. They make it in a 4 and 6 person. Mine is a 4. It is not as roomy as the one you had, but less sidewall area for the wind to catch. Peak height is only 61" though so may not be tall enough for your needs. I can dress standing up but have to hunch over. I'm 5' 9 1/2 and shrinking as I age. It has fiberglass poles.

https://www.kelty.com/bodie-4/

Figs,

We have two tents these days. Which one we bring depends on whether we drive or fly. The first is a Big Agnes that accommodates full size folding cots. The second is a bit smaller, but accommodates lightweight cots. We put Thermarest pads on top of the cots. Having a cot makes it much easier to get dressed even if you don't have standing room.

Get bigger, longer stakes for the winds at OSH, and try to pitch the tent close to your RV or vehicle.

Let me know if you wish further details about the gear mentioned.

MSR Hubba Hubba - pick your size. Virtually indestructible.

Last edited:
I went through two OSH thunderstorm nights with the Coleman igloo style and then opted for the Kodiak Canvas Tent - I have never regretted the choice.

Bit expensive and not light, but it's as solid as I could ask for.

Thanks for asking this question Figs. You've just locked in a week of perfect weather for Osh 2023.
As a vendor standing outside all day your post is most appreciated!

Figs,

We have two tents these days. Which one we bring depends on whether we drive or fly. The first is a Big Agnes that accommodates full size folding cots. The second is a bit smaller, but accommodates lightweight cots. We put Thermarest pads on top of the cots. Having a cot makes it much easier to get dressed even if you don't have standing room.

My wife and I switched to cots with pads on top a couple years ago and will never go back to an air mattress on the ground. You can sit normally to read or put on your shoes and you get storage space under the cot for your bags. Plus I don't wake up in the middle of the night with my butt on the ground because it has a slow leak...

Whatever you do don't do what we did-- 2 years ago we opted to drop tent camping and try renting a travel trailer and have it delivered to the camp site -- you do this and you won't go back to tent camping if you go with your spouse--EVER. You've been warned.....

Whatever you do don't do what we did-- 2 years ago we opted to drop tent camping and try renting a travel trailer and have it delivered to the camp site -- you do this and you won't go back to tent camping if you go with your spouse--EVER. You've been warned.....

Totally understand, my spouse's approach to pitching a tent is to pitch it into the trash can and check into the Hyatt :D
Figs

You asked for an indestructible tent

Bibler I-tent or the MSR.

My Bibler I-tent has been on many expeditions in Nepal, India, and Alaska. Has taken a lot of abuse with high winds and hanging stoves, cooking inside. Has kept the snow and water out. Easy to set-up.

Tents, camping and SOs

There are some of us volunteers that are in Camp Scholler but have been where they are for decades. Most of the rest of us 'essential' volunteers are camping on-field as we need to be available. And, of course, parking a camper on the field is not permitted. Camp Cabela is home to many of us for the two weeks we are there.

Reading the above posts about SOs makes me so appreciative of who I hang around with. NOT to take away from those that don't like to camp! It is an acquired skill! She was camping on-field when we met and has been camping with me for the past decade or so. Neither rain nor shine nor gloom of night..... She is also a pilot, by the way. Is that rubbing it in.....?:p

We also camp in a tent in the FOREST :eek: when we go on vacation or for Birthdays. And never in a "campground". I guess it is what one is used to doing.... 'Pitching a tent into the dumpster' cracked me up!:D

After 3 Oshkosh storms in the last 3 years my Kelty tent gave up the ghost for good last year and was retired to the dumpster after a short service :)

It is now time to find a replacement for this years event. The Kelty was a trail Ridge 6 which is a great tent that you can stand up in, but its size (height) was a problem with the straight winds we have seen at Osh in recent years and the aluminum poles just bent and the rain tended to drive up under the flysheet.

As I am too old to be rolling around on the floor trying to get my jeans on in the morning in a pup tent, I am looking for some suggestions/recommendations for a decent size tent (I am 6' 3") that is robust enough to withstand the typical Osh annual storm. The Kelty weighed 18lbs which was not bad.

Before someone suggests the dorms etc. I enjoy the camaraderie of my flying buddies and fellow campers and cooking out in the pavilion.

Appreciate any inputs.
Figs

I would like to suggest heading to your local REI store and evaluate what they have. Looks like they will not have a store in Tulsa till Spring 2024.

Our Cabelas Alaska Guide tent has weathered everything Mother Nature can throw at it in the North 40, for years. It is not in-expensive but it handles the weather and you will be dry.

And it only weighs 41 1/2 pounds.

Does look like it would do the job, though, and might even assemble relatively easily.

Dave

There are some of us volunteers that are in Camp Scholler but have been where they are for decades. Most of the rest of us 'essential' volunteers are camping on-field as we need to be available. And, of course, parking a camper on the field is not permitted. Camp Cabela is home to many of us for the two weeks we are there.

Reading the above posts about SOs makes me so appreciative of who I hang around with. NOT to take away from those that don't like to camp! It is an acquired skill! She was camping on-field when we met and has been camping with me for the past decade or so. Neither rain nor shine nor gloom of night..... She is also a pilot, by the way. Is that rubbing it in.....?:p

We also camp in a tent in the FOREST :eek: when we go on vacation or for Birthdays. And never in a "campground". I guess it is what one is used to doing.... 'Pitching a tent into the dumpster' cracked me up!:D

I get it, but my post was tongue in cheek. I'm just as guilty as my wife in enjoying going the trailer route, maybe even more so. Our first 7 trips to Osh we camped (2 in Scholler and 5 in HBC with the plane). In 2020 we stayed at the Hilton because there was no show and we could. In 2021 and 2022 we switched to the trailer over in Sleepy Hollow because a large group of our friends where there and we worked that connection to get a site. We both camped growing up and camped with our kids as both were in Scouts. Now as empty nesters and starting to feel our age, comfort is now become a priority, but that admittedly comes at a cost. We still have all of our gear so camping is always an option, just not at the top of the list.

Attachments

• 2016.jpeg
    2016.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 2017.jpg
    2017.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 138
Tents in the airplane

When we airplane camp, we use a Big Agnus tent. Light-weight but not what I would consider an "all-weather tent". They do have a variety of tents to chose from.

For OSH, since we are there for an extended period of time, those of us from Colorado have a van we pack things in, including the heavier Cabela tents. Some of us who are there year after year also rent a storage place to pack things in that gets pretty full. One can always have things shipped. If you are in the Vintage area, having things shipped to the Vintage Red Barn is an option. I'll bet Custom has somewhere one can ship things....like heavy tents....

No doubt you can ship stuff to Oshkosh, but I’d be leery of shipping tents and sleeping bags. You absolutely need those things on day 1 (and night 1). Camping chairs, extra clothes, and other convenience items are the things to ship.

Been using this one I got at Walmart for 7 years now. Went to buy the 4 person but they were out so got the 6. Been thru lots of bad storms at Osh! Weighs 14 lbs. Room enough for our two cots and a small table with both our chairs during rainstorms! I do seal the seams and waterproof it every couple years or so!

Attachments

• osh tent 2.jpg
    osh tent 2.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 171
You can't go wrong with the Black Diamond Eldorado or Ahwahnee. They're a little pricier than some others, but either one costs less than a week at standard motel prices and they'll last 20 years if properly cared for.

I fly with my Eldorado, but the Ahwahnee is a bit nicer for two people.

Easy setup - I've even done it in a heavy hailstorm, as the internal poles let you set up from inside the tent. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• Green Eldorado.jpeg
    Green Eldorado.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Black Diamond Ahwahnee.jpeg
    Black Diamond Ahwahnee.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Cub-Moonlight.jpg
    Cub-Moonlight.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 86
Gotta a bunch of tents being an ultra-lite backpacker, Big Agnes, Hubba, etc. Used the Hubba for airplane camping but recently switched to Eureka Suma 3. Half-domes like the one pictured above work best in bad weather. Aluminum poles work better than fiberglass. Clips work better than sleeves. You can spend a buncha money but you are mainly buying lightness which is not a huge factor in airplane camping. Eureka is a quality company and contracts with the military for their tents. Th Eureka Suma 3 weighs in around 6 pounds and I got this one slightly used on ebay for around a hundred bucks. You can get a Big Agnes one man one pound carbon fiber for around $1000. Ebay is a good source for high end camping equipment.

I favor the 4-man Coleman Sundome tent. My current one has been to 2 Oshkoshes, a Copperstate, and 2 Smiley Creeks.
You can't stand up in it, but it's well made and won't break the bank. I think a lightweight tent with a 7 foot peak and the ability to remain standing in a storm similar to last year's big storm is the stuff of dreams.

Looking toward stand up types, any experience with one-pole tents in the wind? This one is rather big, but the specs say it packs and weights roughly the same as the Cabella Alaska Guide 4-place....

https://dodoutdoors.com/products/ic..._content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Among other desires, I'm also interested in tents which don't require guy strings. They're not a big deal in a campground, but can be a real PITA when the tent is slotted in among airplanes. Yeah, I know, the above has 'em.

Last edited:
Camp Cabela at OSH....

I volunteer for the Vintage Division and, if you go over to where we live onfield, under The Trees, you will find a place we affectionately call Camp Cabela as nearly EVERYone who volunteers for us has a Cabela tent!

Camp Cabela in the Vintage area at OSH....

Attachments

• IMG_6812r.jpg
    IMG_6812r.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 189

Appreciate any inputs.
Figs
After two tent collapses over the years at OSH I walked the airplane campgrounds to survey survivors. Cabelas’ Alaskan Guide series was highly recommended by the majority. The tents are tall for a 6 footer like me to change standing up. Mine has withstood the OSH 2019 and 2021 TRW’s standing up.

I’ll second the idea of checking out REI (or EMS if they still exist). The bottom line is that if you’re talking storm-worthiness, why not go where folks whose lives literally depend on their tent surviving (think high mountaineering such as Everest) go and see what they are using?

We’ve got about ten tents in our joint (married) inventory, accumulated over the decades - all are mountaineering tents, which have the benefit of being relatively lightweight (when you’re traveling in an RV-3, that makes a difference).

Paul

Paul's right about the lightness and robustness of mountaineering tents. Mine is a Kelty that's no longer available. The model was tested using the propwash of a 300 hp Cessna 185, and one was used on an Antarctic hiking expedition. I chose it because I could set it up in a blizzard using mittens. It's not extremely light, a trade-off.

The downside to this sort of tent is that usually they don't have standing headroom, and often not even room for a person plus a decent cot.

There are other tents in the ultralightweight backpacking category that are lighter but less capable, and some get down below two pounds. They won't handle propwash unless you get lucky. You'll have to make your own choices where on the weight versus capability you want to have.

swjohnsey pointed out that clips are easier to set up than sleeves. I have both and he's right, but the rugged Kelty has sleeves. I have an ultralightweight single-pole tent that's a bit of a pain to set up because it doesn't have an integrated floor and the stakes need to be positioned just right. Not hard, just inconvenient.

Dave

Last edited:
We all have opinions on particular tents that we love or hate and the reasons for it. I like the smallish backpacking tents, but that’s not what the OP is looking for….. the question was originally about standup tents that could handle a storm I think. I had the mother of all standup tents at Oshkosh for several years, and it held up in many many storms that saw other tents tossed all over the grounds. In years past (before I joined the fly in crowd) I spent several years with my young family of 5, usually with 2-3 additional friends living for a week in an REI Kingdom 8, with an attached “garage” for gear. The Kingdom 8 has immense space, and is pretty easy to set up too. Most years we saw storms that sent unknown tents into our part of Scholler, and took neighbor tents to other parts of the camp (or beyond). If you want a big, stout tent it’s the one. But as with any large tent - if you want something the size of the USS constitution’s mainsail to stay put, you’ve got to tie it down with guy lines - and lots of them. I’m of the opinion that most any tent will stay put if given the guy lines to do so. And even the best designed tents will not stay put if not tied down fully. Even though they do get in the way…..

I don’t think they still sell the “Kingdom 8”, but I’m sure they have a similar tent….

https://www.rei.com/product/147959/rei-co-op-kingdom-8-tent

it's been a few years since I looked so I'm not up on the current models but REI's store brand tents were pretty good. Similar to some of the Big Agnes models.
I bought an REI Quarter Dome two man tent from them several years after giving my very old Kelty a similar funeral. This was probably 10 years ago now. It was a great tent and I used it quite a bit camping when my son was in the scouts. More recently I wanted something lighter for backpacking so I bought a tent by Zpacks.... super lightweight...
but both of mine are to short for what you are looking for.

Again this is a few years ago, but a couple of the other scout leaders in our troop had some big cabin tents from REI. Looking at the website to find them, it looks like it's the REI Wonderland series. I don't recall any real heavy weather tests when I was out with them but they sure did seem to be good tents. (except I prefer more cover over the windows for better ventilation in light rain) Still, might be worth a look if you have an REI store nearby

We went to the REI once in Seattle but didnt have a Subaru they wouldnt let us park.

If you are looking for an 18 pound replacement, you are going to have to go to a store and see one to know if it is going to be strong enough for you. There are a lot of crappy 18 pound tents that look great in the pictures. We have a Cabela's Outback Lodge 6-Person Tent and it is nice for 3-4 people. It is a little heavier at about 25 pounds but it is sturdy. If you have a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop, you can look at lots of them.

Good luck.

I have an REI wonderland 4 that held up very well last year during the Saturday storms. I think anything a bit higher end similar to this or the cabela will do well.

Back in the day I did wilderness backpacking and mountaineering. Tents capable of high winds are low profile; plus rain fly and 10 to 14 stakes. The big Coleman living room sized "Glamping" (glamor + camping) tents are not up to high winds. Bigger; taller tents are not high wind resistant.

Last edited:
Tall tents

Back in the day I did wilderness backpacking and mountaineering. Tents capable of high winds are low profile; plus rain fly and 10 to 14 stakes. The big Coleman living room sized "Glamping" (glamor + camping) tents are not up to high winds. Bigger; taller tents are not high wind resistant.

Not to keep harping on Cabelas but the 6 and especially the 8 man are tall tents. I am 5'10" and can stand up in our 6 man easily. Properly staked and they can put up with the strongest wind as demonstrated at OSH last year. We had no problems with our tents. I was inside our 6 man during the worst of the storm and just sat there and listened to the wind howl and the rain BEAT hard against the tent. We were waiting for it to bend in or something but it just stood up and TOOK it! Love those tents. None of the tents in our little village had damage or water leaks. And the rain was coming DOWN!!

Update

After looking at dozens of tents (who knew there were so many tent manufacturers out there), it is back to the old mantra that you get what you pay for. At this point I am leaning towards the MSR Habitude 4 for the combination of quality, design, ease of single handed setup, interior size and height, and purported weather resistance. Not the cheapest option by quite a bit.

For getting off the ground from my air mattress, the backpacking cot seems the best bet and it looks like the Helinox max convertible with the extra legs is the best option although it is also the most expensive :eek: but I have other Helinox products and they are high quality and durable.

The combo will weigh about the same as my deceased Kelty tent.

Lots of knock offs out there for a lot less money but not sure I want to chance it after 2 years of staying in partially collapsed tents for a week.
Figs

Tent

Fig, since you did all this research, which I appreciate. Did you get a two bedroom tent so Judie and I will have a place to stay.

Fig, since you did all this research, which I appreciate. Did you get a two bedroom tent so Judie and I will have a place to stay.

Fred
The MSR Habitude 4 will easily accommodate me and Judie and I think you could curl up/sleep in the vestibule with Judie's travel gear :D

Just let me know.
Figs

Not to keep harping on Cabelas
Good to know. I get the desire for a roomy stand up tent. Glamping is a portmanteau of "glamorous" and "camping" is great. Problem is the typical standup tent is not compatible with high winds. I observed all kinds of failures last year at Sun and Fun of larger tents. The small ones did fine. The big tents fold like a house of cards. If you had good success then the OP should go get one. For me if camping when traveling by motorcycle or my RV-7 small tents are the way to go.

The other option is renting a trailer, camper, RV.

Last edited:
Ebay

For those that might be interested Dan Horton pointed out to me yesterday that new MSR Habitude 6 tents were selling on EBay for about half the regular price due to either overstock or ugly colors. I decided that was worth a shot versus a new Habitude 4 and picked one up for $260.
We shall see this year at Oshkosh if that was a good decision: :cool:
Figs

Data point for REI. I was gifted a Basecamp 4 maybe 10 years ago. Other than the two clear vinyl widows which suddenly failed this last year, it has held up fine with last 7-8 Oshkosh trips, and 12-14 other fly ins. (With YouTube and Amazon, I was able to replace the two windows pretty easily.)

At 17 lbs, ~60" tall, it's a car/airplane camping tent. Vestibule on one end is very handy. Roomy enough to be comfortable on 4,5+ day trips, laying out your clothes, air mattress, camp chair, food, etc. Easy to assemble and stake down. As for the size, backpacking tents are for backpacking. I leave that one at home.

I really do not like REI infusing their politics into business, so will go elsewhere next time I buy a tent. But at this rate, it may outlive me.

Last edited:
....new MSR Habitude 6 tents were selling on EBay for about half the regular price due to either overstock or ugly colors. I decided that was worth a shot versus a new Habitude 4 and picked one up for $260.
Figs

Does this mean Fred can sleep inside?

I don't get the idea of standing up in your tent. If you aren't wiggling in and out of your pants laying on the ground, or crawling on hands and knees to get in and out of your tent, you aren't camping. Ha ha.

Thanks Dan

Because Fig won’t share, I guess I will have to replace Big Agnes with the MSR Habitude 6 tent. Spending my sons inheritance. I ordered ours this morning. I will let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
I'm 2 for 2 at Scholler with the Cabela's Alaskan Guide also.

And not just withstanding the high winds, but not a drop of water in all of the storms I've had to endure with it, which seems to be every time I take it out of the house.

KJ

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_225349719.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220723_225349719.MP.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 153
Any PIREP's On RO (Reactive Outdoor) Tents?

Since this thread got me interested in making another pilgrimage to Air Venture and camping again, my FB feeds are full of tent advertisements. This one popped up today and looks very promising. Just wondering if anyone has had experience using one?
https://reactiveoutdoor.com/pages/3-secs-tent-us-xl

"Pop-up" tent....

Since this thread got me interested in making another pilgrimage to Air Venture and camping again, my FB feeds are full of tent advertisements. This one popped up today and looks very promising. Just wondering if anyone has had experience using one?
https://reactiveoutdoor.com/pages/3-secs-tent-us-xl

Um.......no. In my experience if it "pops up" that easily it will also "blow down" just as easily. Looks great sitting out there in the calm forest. Let's see some video of it in a Rain storm. Even properly supported with guy lines, looks like one of the tents I see rolling across the grass at OSH in one of our usual Summer storms. I do not know these tents but........:(

The web site claims it's good for 40 mph winds. I doubt that would be sufficient. And looking at the photos, with lots of slack cloth, it'll sure be noisy.

I would skip this one.

Dave

Back