What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Type Designation ICAO IFR Flight Plan

Bassman

I'm New Here
Can someone tell me what goes in the Aircraft Type box on an ICAO IFR flight plan for a Vans RV7A?

Thanks

Interesting. In accordance with another thread here, I see that that FAA order also shows that Van's RVs aren't authorized to participate in LAHSO.

Interesting. In accordance with another thread here, I see that that FAA order also shows that Van's RVs aren't authorized to participate in LAHSO.

The LAHSO prohibition is not unique to RVs. A cursory review seems to indicate that any aircraft without standard airworthiness certification is excluded. A non-issue in my book.

Last edited:
The LAHSO prohibition is not unique to RVs. A cursory review seems to indicate that any aircraft without standard airworthiness certification is excluded. A non-issue in my book.

I did not mean to imply that it was a big deal nor unique to RVs. Only noting it because that exclusion does not universally prevent some tower personnel from offering the option to RV pilots. I mention RV's because, well...there are some RV pilots that frequent this forum. There does not appear to be universal agreement on the regulatory consequences of an RV, or other aircraft without standard airworthiness certificates, accepting LAHSO.

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply that it was a big deal nor unique to RVs. Only noting it because that exclusion does not universally prevent some tower personnel from offering the option to RV pilots. I mention RV's because, well...there are some RV pilots that frequent this forum. There does not appear to be universal agreement on the regulatory consequences of an RV, or other aircraft without standard airworthiness certificates, accepting LAHSO.

IMO there is nothing saying an RV pilot can’t accept a LAHSO option. However it’s clear that if ATC offers it they are doing so in error and contrary to FAA guidance. You, as PIC regardless of aircraft certification, always have the right to decline. “Unable” is a under utilized tool in many cases, again IMO.

And I didn’t say you said it was a big deal. I simply stated for me it wasn’t.

Last edited:

I was looking for that thread with the A/C designations. Anyone have the link?

-Marc

Back