What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AV-30;to which GPS

Chowbird

I'm New Here
Hello all. I’m thinking of connecting a AV-30 acting as DG to a portable GPS navigator. I see the choice of the Aera 660 quite a bit. I like that option. But has anyone connected to a different non-garmin portable gps. The 660 is nice but it’s a tad spendy after purchasing two AV-30s. Thx in advance. Tim

Tim, Welcome to VAF!

After buying two AV-30's, the Aera 660 is pocket change. Buy one, you won't be disappointed. It has no competitor.

I have an iFly 740b that I use in the Cub. I really like it and is easy to mount and use. Their yearly subscription is less than Garmin. With all the upgrades happening in the -4, I haven't used it there yet but expect no issues. I'll post more later after it flies.

Garmin

Tim, Welcome to VAF!

After buying two AV-30's, the Aera 660 is pocket change. Buy one, you won't be disappointed. It has no competitor.

Tim, if you can't do this then the next best thing may be a used older model Garmin, e.g. Gpsmap 296. I have one of these and it works well with a Dynon efis. I have not tried it with an AV-30, however it outputs a standard data stream so shouldn't be a problem.

The AV-30 will talk to practically all GPS's out there. It does not have to be a Garmin unit. After all, it is only Garmin who pushes "all Garmin".

For panel mount GPS units the AV-30 can take input in "Moving Map" format.
For portable GPS units the AV-30 can take input in "NMEA" format. The AV-30 is more for VFR operations than IFR operations in that it doesn't provide precision approach capabilities.

I have interfaced the AV-30 to Gamin 660 and 760. I know it works with the GPS 496. I see where the iFly can provide NMEA via a USB cable. I think Steve Melton here on the forum has one set up this way.

So the AV-30 seems play well with everyone's GPS.

Jim

Back