What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying in Rain

[email protected]

So flying back from Sun-N-Fun we ran into some precipitation and it got me thinking.

Can Vans Rv's be flown in the rain? At what point is it to much? I've flown in very light and mod precip but at what point is it to much? I'm thinking it may be a NO NO now that I think about it more but would like some feedback. Too many open spaces for water to creep in and wreck some things maybe? Seeing as there is an electronic ignition on the firewall I'm thinking things could go bad easy. What else should one be thinking about?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've flown SuzieQ in the Rain without issues other than having to throttle back to be kinder to my wooden prop. Backing down to 2100 rpm seems to be about right.

It would be silly to have a 200 mph airplane that can cross a significant amount of territory and not be able to fly in the rain. You will encounter Rain on occasion and will likely do just fine. SuzieQ was built pretty tight and there is usually no extra water in the interior. I run "normal" mags so that isn't an issue.

I've flown SuzieQ in the Rain without issues other than having to throttle back to be kinder to my wooden prop. Backing down to 2100 rpm seems to be about right.

It would be silly to have a 200 mph airplane that can cross a significant amount of territory and not be able to fly in the rain. You will encounter Rain on occasion and will likely do just fine. SuzieQ was built pretty tight and there is usually no extra water in the interior. I run "normal" mags so that isn't an issue.

Thanks for your reply! I have flown my RV6a all over the country and have accumulated 600+ hours this year (fuel receipts and track logs to prove it- lol). I've flown through light precip and got into some moderate to heavy today for a short period. Just sitting here wondering how smart it was. I encountered no issues and ran like a charm but just wanted some feedback.

Thanks,

Machine gun like rain!

We’ve flown our -10 at 200 MPH in a downpour that sounded like machine gun bullets on the windshield. It did take some paint off the leading edges but never missed a beat. It can be done and we were in a pinch coming back from Key West with a system across the entire State of Florida and we ‘had’ to get back to Georgia.

Cheers,

In addition to the airframe, rain takes a toll on a propeller spinning at 2300+ RPM's. If you have a metal propeller then it isn't a big deal. If you have a wood or composite propeller then it can be hard on them in rain. That is why most propeller manufacturers offer a metal leading edge option for composite propellers.

FWIW I have the metal leading edge on my CATTO carbon fiber propeller and it still looks new after 7yrs of occasional light rain flying. Although I avoid rain if possible, if in rain, I slow down to lower the propeller speed.

:cool:

Even a jet is affected by severe rain fall.... disrupting wing airflow and lift slightly. Same with an RV. I add a few knots for heavy rain.

Planes with laminar flow wings are affected to a greater degree due to rain. VariEz / LongEz had a canard airfoil that lost lift in rain and plane pitched down. The RV does not have laminar flow airfoils... Burt Rutan changed the canard airfoil to reduce the rain pitch down issue.

You point about water tight areas of critical systems, electrical is a good one. There was a case of a jet with electrical connection in the tail that would get wet and freeze causing trim issues. Early Lear jets also had issues of water freezing in elevator and causing loss of control. However in these cases it involves freezing water.

The other issue is induction, more with ice, snow, sleet, but I speculate van's standard FAB designs are fairly resistant to sucking in water. However a little water in the intake will not kill the engine. However snow, sleet, ice could impact the induction if it blocks airflow.

These are uncertified planes and not approved for flight into known ice.

What about the air induction filter? the air comes straight in and will wet the filter down. Any problems with that?

minimum of 5.6 hrs a day for past 106 days..... PRETTY AMAZING ��

Over the last year- 12months. Try to fly everyday at least a min of 2hrs, most are 3-4 tho. Snapped a screen shot of my Foreflight, it's missing about 100hrs from Garmin app and the 11 pending I need to log and accept. At conditional of my 6a it was 656hrs or so.

I did say; "this year" but meant over the year. Sorry! The days seem to blend and I forget the year sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Putting on the Hours!

A friend of mine who flies a Howard DGA (not the easiest airplane to fly; I was right seat on a flight to and from OSH one year and did most of the flying!:):):)) said someone told him "If you want to learn how to fly a Howard, fly every day for a month!"

I am envious of you having time to put that many hours on your RV! Getting to know it under many different circumstances! Keep it up! You put more hours on your RV in a year than some people HAVE! I thought I flew a lot.....;)

Attachments

• IMG_4953.JPG
    IMG_4953.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 97
Water in pitot line

The only problem I had just occurred flying to SnF. After flying in light to moderate rain for a while the IAS started to slowely go down and stayed about 30kts lower than expected. It was not ice as it was 50F at my altitude. At SnF I talked with the Dynon staff (I have a Dynon heated pitot tube). They said I got water in my pitot line and that was causing the problem and I should install a pitot line sump. Also since I have 4 instruments on the one pitot line, they recommended I install another pitot tube and connect my EFIS to the heated pitot and the others to the second pitot tube. I went back to my plane and climbed under the panel and sure enough there was a small (few drops) of water in the line. I disconnect the line and got a little out and left it disconnected for a day to allow better evaporation. Connected back up and flew home with no apparent problems. So now I'm looking to install a sump and probably another pitot.

A friend of mine who flies a Howard DGA (not the easiest airplane to fly; I was right seat on a flight to and from OSH one year and did most of the flying!:):):)) said someone told him "If you want to learn how to fly a Howard, fly every day for a month!"

I am envious of you having time to put that many hours on your RV! Getting to know it under many different circumstances! Keep it up! You put more hours on your RV in a year than some people HAVE! I thought I flew a lot.....;)

I love to fly! I am building hours along with my 18y.o. son, he has a year of college left and needs about 400 more hours to hit 1000hrs. He wants to go to the airlines, so we hit it hard! We flew a C-150 for about 300hrs and got tired of going nowhere very slow. We stepped it up to the RV and have been able to see the majority of the country. We both definitely know the plane characteristics inside and out. Fabulous machine!

The only problem I had just occurred flying to SnF. After flying in light to moderate rain for a while the IAS started to slowely go down and stayed about 30kts lower than expected. It was not ice as it was 50F at my altitude. At SnF I talked with the Dynon staff (I have a Dynon heated pitot tube). They said I got water in my pitot line and that was causing the problem and I should install a pitot line sump. Also since I have 4 instruments on the one pitot line, they recommended I install another pitot tube and connect my EFIS to the heated pitot and the others to the second pitot tube. I went back to my plane and climbed under the panel and sure enough there was a small (few drops) of water in the line. I disconnect the line and got a little out and left it disconnected for a day to allow better evaporation. Connected back up and flew home with no apparent problems. So now I'm looking to install a sump and probably another pitot.

Got into heavy rain coming back! I noticed my airspeed was low as well, good to know on the pitot.

Water in Pitot line

I always turn Pitot heat ON when in rain.
Not flying yet with the RV with a Dynon set-up but will continue to turn the heat on in rain.

The Pitot line goes upwards before going sideways in the wing...
I presume that would prevent water accumulating in the line??
And with the heat ON, would that help also, ???

Back