What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 handling

I was discussing the RV-6 or 6A with Avemco, and she (who flies an RV) gave me the impression that "they" don't go out in more than 8-10 knots of wind because they will get "blown away."

I have more than 400 hours in a C-150 years ago, which has about the same weight but significantly less wing loading and there was only one time I cancelled for wind. She said a 150 was a "tank" compared to an RV.

Aside from more power and faster roll rate, why is flying an RV in wind so touchy?

I have both airplanes. This is nonsense. I would take a RV out any day over the 150 in gusty conditions. #1 reason is quick climb to smooth air. #2 more responsive handling in the bumps.

I’ve flown our -3, -6, and -8 all in winds up to 25 knots with gusts higher than that, and significant crosswind components, so I think whomever it was simply has different personal limits. The short wing RV’s handle wind just fine in my evaluation.

Paul

I now have 195 hrs on my RV-6A that I purchased just over 2 years ago. All of my prior experience before that was in Cessna 172s, a Piper Cherokee 180, and a Beech Musketeer. I love the RV handling and have no issues with the wind. I have flown in 20-25kt winds, including at least 10-15kt cross wind conditions without any problems in the 6A. At altitude, I've flown in 50-60kt winds again without issue.

I believe that how hard you feel a gust varies linearly with wing loading, but as the square of speed. So since the RV is much faster than the Cessna you experience the turbulence more. I have seen +2 to -0.5g on the gauge flying level on a windy day in the mountains. Not dangerous, but not comfortable. But, in the RV you can just slow down. Then the higher wing loading is on your side and it smooths out.

With regard to handling the wind, I once landed my 8A with a 24 knot crosswind component. Stressful, but the airplane was more than up to it. I wouldn't try that in a 150.

Comfort level

I agree with Paul, whoever is advising not to fly the 6 in strong winds probably is not very comfortable herself regardless of the plane. I fly my 6 with the original smaller tail in very windy conditions many time with stiff crosswinds and find it to handle adverse conditions quite well. If I didn’t obtain so much experience in crosswinds while towing gliders, maybe I would not feel the same. If you are not comfortable with crosswinds, don’t be afraid to get some good instruction, it becomes quite satisfying when you feel comfortable and master them.

My builder presents two different DEMONSTRATED CROSSWIND numbers, which I found odd. Is there a reason the RVs would handle differently right and left crosswind?

I agree with Paul, whoever is advising not to fly the 6 in strong winds probably is not very comfortable herself regardless of the plane. I fly my 6 with the original smaller tail in very windy conditions many time with stiff crosswinds and find it to handle adverse conditions quite well. If I didn’t obtain so much experience in crosswinds while towing gliders, maybe I would not feel the same. If you are not comfortable with crosswinds, don’t be afraid to get some good instruction, it becomes quite satisfying when you feel comfortable and master them.

I had a primary instructor who was very circumspect about winds. He frequently pointed out that MAX DEMONSTRATED wasn't a limitation, and that I'd probably run out of guts before I ran out of rudder. This was in a 152. The upshot was that I never learned to be afraid of crosswinds, and to make smart decisions when the correction wasn't enough.

I, too, have a small-tail RV-6A and (pardon the pun) it's really pretty unflappable when you put in the corrections. I'm still learning how to fly it but I've been impressed by how forgiving it is if I select a less than ideal power/flap combination.

Now, it is LIGHT, so it does bounce a bit in rough air, and that's never a pleasant occurrence, but it slows down nicely and it's easy to put where you want. That's what I tell non-RV people, anyway. :)

Different numbers

My builder presents two different DEMONSTRATED CROSSWIND numbers, which I found odd. Is there a reason the RVs would handle differently right and left crosswind?

It’s only a guess but I’m assuming the reason for different numbers right or left would be due to the added force of asymmetric force and p factor being added to the force of the crosswind.

I have landed my 6A with a 20kt steady crosswind. That had the rudder at its stop. Personally, I do not fly if I believe that the crosswind component is forecasted over 15kts. My personal minimum.

I have landed my 6A with a 20kt steady crosswind. That had the rudder at its stop. Personally, I do not fly if I believe that the crosswind component is forecasted over 15kts. My personal minimum.

I'm about the same, but drop it to 10kts when I have the kids with me. Also depends on how gusty it is.

Back