What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your day job!

fighting fire in Colorado
IMG_0175.jpg

And doing Hydro Mulch in California.
572.jpg

This is a very intersting thread just seeing the wide range of people that are involved in our common interest.

I'm an EE and I have built just about anything you can think of during my career.

Here is a shot of my current gig. I work for Dolby Laboratories and we make what we think is the highest performing video monitor available. Your going to need to get your credit card bumped up to buy one though.

20sd5bm.jpg

Before my current job I had a consulting company where we designed embedded computer products for our customers. This was everything from a unit that went in a golf cart with GPS position on the course to a voice scrambler that went into police handsets.

Who knows what I'll be doing in the future.

Tram - thanks for the info; really hits home. I'm getting the same vibe again and again from the airlines.

Airflite1 - awesome pics! Especially the one from the cockpit.

Tram - thanks for the info; really hits home. I'm getting the same vibe again and again from the airlines.

Just my opinion of course.

It'd probably be a great gig for a single guy who wanted to see "exciting new places" all the time. ;)

Hi Tristan,

Are you at Spacex Hawthorne?

If so, I'm next door at the Tesla design studio and an RV-8 hangared at KHHR.

Do you know Jeff Richichi?

Mark

Hawthorne it is. Not sure if you heard, but there is some guy that flies a yellow Lancair to work from French Valley daily. You can usually see him departing between 5 and 7 . . . :D

Richichi is awesome! We need to get together, another fellow SpaceXer is looking at building an RV7. He is in the looking over the plans stage and trying to figure out why is is so freaked out! We also have a small group of pilots that make Catalina runs occasionally. It would be good to have you along. There is a PM waiting for you :)

Day job ??? :eek:

I work mostly evenings, I try to avoid having to set an alarm in the morning!!!

I work in Switzerland's Geneva Area Control Center.

I get to handle all traffic at FL250 and above in a sector that's about 150NM x 150NM.

Here's a picture of a typical work console taken last night during a graveyard shift at about 05:00 local. Pretty quiet at that time...
IMG_0764.jpg

Bernie, a work colleague of mine in Zurich built a really nice RV-7 and he's responsible for me starting this pleasing adventure!!!
Thanks Bernie !!!

Aerospace Engineer

I work in the aerospace industry. Part of the work I am doing is Computational Fluid Dynamics. Here is a pic of the analysis I am doing on my RV-7A, although, this aircraft is not work related ;)

Precast Concrete Structures

I work in the corporate office of a company that designs, fabricates and erects precast concrete structures. I work specifically in sales, preconstruction and project management. The best things about my job is that I'm still employed (construction industry has been bad) and I'm slowly funding my RV-10 build. The worst part is that it has nothing to do with aviation. :( Thankfully, access to VAF keeps me subdued and cooperative (moo).

Construction Superintendent

Grew up in Minnesota farming and placing concrete. Went to college, got hired as a Field Engineer and worked up through the ranks to Superintendent. Here are some pics of recent notable projects.

United States Courthouse, San Diego
xpo6pw.jpg

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
vnm83t.jpg

Hyatt Denver Convention Center
2w4i5g2.jpg

Denver Newspaper Agency
2i1pg1e.jpg

Last edited:
Hilton San Diego Bayfront
vnm83t.jpg

Hey, part of my day job was go to to an aging aircraft conference there. That balcony provides great views of Seahawks and Super Hornets! Especially while eating a great free lunch with 1000 other airplane nerds! Nice work, it's a great hotel.

Nice Photography!

Nice photography on the Hyatt. Architectural Photography was my day job until I became a full time Mr. Mom. BTW, taking care of kids is 10 times more work than any job I've ever had (and I've had some hideous jobs). If you have kids, give your wife a big hug - she deserves it! If not, give her a big hug anyway - can't hurt ;)

First job out of college (the first time) was safety engineering for the space shuttle main engine testing program at Stennis Space Center, MS. Then into the petrochemical industry, then into electronics manufacturing. Did a bit of teaching for OSHA and the US Army while at the Texas Engineering Extension Service. Had a construction business with the XYL, until I talked her into going back into practice.

Back to grad school in structural engineering, some years in building design and structural forensic engineering. Now I talk for a living, employed (as my boss says "not really working") by the trade association for the folks that make, bend, cut, and place steel reinforcement used in concrete. I still do a bit of structural design and forensics.

It seems that an RV-8 is in my future, with the planned start date of December 1, in my "two years to taxi" program. If I can't do it in two years, I can't start it. A guy has to know his limits. Did I mention that I've been remodeling my house for 7 years?

Farming day job

Here is my day job, although I have never worked a day in my life. I am extremely fortunate to have this job and I wouldn't trade it for anything even when our harvest days stretch into 15 hours
9B86F4D2-6D43-4DE5-9E5D-2E656D20264C-2752-0000022C522738F4.jpg
shaking an almond tree, 6 to 7 trees a minute

0F768A12-84BB-4A27-8511-5CFFFB2D4D0D-2752-0000022C57838211.jpg
engine monitor and joystick control for shaking boom head

3A48E563-116F-4AA3-91D8-3AC64E75A313-2752-0000022C5D2876D6.jpg

4179A17A-C324-4F75-A225-B07EAD84A8F4-2752-0000022CA94C3F59.jpg
ready to roll at 5:30 AM

Last edited:
Well, this is my day job.. I get to impact lives every day. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Except cooler weather lol. Don't get much of that in south Louisiana

AAE41D35-39B9-441F-B54B-7B4CB633E52F-1775-00000074A7F6D8C9.jpg

I'm retiring from NASA today

I've been meaning to post some pictures and now, I'm leaving.
I've worked as an aerodynamics researcher and wing designer for NASA for 33 years, and today, I retired. An old friend asked me to join him in his start-up adventure, and it is a chance to do something different and new for awhile.
But here are a couple of pictures of my most recent work at NASA.

ACD12-001-013.jpg

This is a model with 7-ft semispan (1/8th scale) of a representative single-aisle transport (737-class) with a second-generation geared turbofan engine nacelle (bypass ratio 15). You can see the turbine-powered engine simulator in the nacelle. The model fan is 10.75" diameter. The wide-angle lens makes it look even bigger than it really is. It was tested in the 11 x 11-ft transonic wind tunnel at NASA Ames. The pink paint is pressure-sensitive paint, lets us measure the surface pressure over the whole model at once.

wbn_over_cl052_if.png

Here are before and after pictures of the upper surface pressure distribution from my design optimization, where the wing shape and nacelle shape and position were simultaneously optimized. Cruise at Mach 0.785. Ended up with nice supercritical pressure distribution on most of the wing, and nearly shock-free inboard of the nacelle. The experimental results matched the CFD predictions extremely well, which doesn't surprise us much these days. But the model proved we can get the L/D we want, even with the big nacelle.

Eventually, I'll be able to post some pictures of the new vehicle we are working on at the start-up.

Last edited:
Re: Day Job

Longtime Futures Broker but quit to help start a hedge fund with a good friend last year. One of my past clients told me he "built" his own plane and I've been fascinated ever since. I'm about to start pilot training(later this summer) and then hopefully by next year I will be starting to build my own RV-10. Hey I can dream, right?

Futures?

Longtime Futures Broker but quit to help start a hedge fund with a good friend last year. One of my past clients told me he "built" his own plane and I've been fascinated ever since. I'm about to start pilot training(later this summer) and then hopefully by next year I will be starting to build my own RV-10. Hey I can dream, right?

I wonder what RV-10 futures are going for? :)

MDs and RVs

I started out flying KC-135Rs then instructed in the T-1.

Now I get to fly this (the plane in back), and occasionally it's with the guy in front. Even better than flying with him is getting building advice from him.

THANKS DAVE!:D

Jeff

1em2kh.jpg
[/IMG]

Day job in front, night job in back.

What I do for work (fun)...

I see no one has posted in here for some time, so here's a bump!

I am currently in my mid 20's, I have been in Naval Aviation for almost 6 years (A long time right?) lol

I started out with an enlistment contract as an ATC'er, then in Boot decided I wanted to backseat in some of the Navy's platforms, since only Officers are pilots. Anyways, I ended up volunteering for another 2 years while in Aircrew Candidate and Water Survival school in Pens, FL and got my contract amended again (plus a $2k bonus!) to try my whits at Flight Engineer School, where the going drop out rate was near 3 out of 5. I went anyways, I was already a pilot and I had an AA degree, what could go wrong?

I ended up making it thru the school (2nd in my class :mad:) and got orders to the Mad Foxes in Jacksonville FL.
I deployed twice over 3 years flying this
orion1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sitting like this

IMG_3335.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And occasionally getting some stick time

100_0105.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taking old fashioned pictures like this (Im second from left)

image-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Flying with my friend and his wife while we weren't delayed (my flying is not what scared him, he lost cell reception... No FaceSpace updates...)

IMG_4175.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, Im deployed again flying this guy in super duper secret places

image-4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I love what I do, a lot! I instruct, test, deploy, teach, and more. I am not rich, but I love what I do and the Navy is a great place to work, good travel benefits as well!

I have been around the World 3 times. 16 Countries. Every Continent, minus the cold one on bottom... Maybe I'll fly an RV there someday? (I read about a guy flying his 172 there!)

Anyways, Its great fun and sometimes you even get to see some cool stuff and land with a tube full of smoke :eek: (see- lots of electronics aboard)

I get to listen to Danger Zone and pretend I'm a Top Gun :cool: (at Mach 0.45 usually)

I have met a few RV builders in the Navy and I hope to start my build soon!
Im coming up on my reenlistment, but it will be short lived- Im about a year and a bit away from finishing my BS in Aeronautics with ERAU and already have a few weighted letters of rec for Officer Candidate School. Airlines are tough, so lets see if the Navy will let me actually fly! After over 2,000 hours and over 5 years of sitting Center Seat you'd think I have a good chance... All they care about is a silly degree...

On my spare time I fly rickety old spam cans (and one really nice Cardinal owned by another avid RV enthusiast)
I like to drive my Z06, but I will most likely sell to finance an engine and prop someday!

I will most likely be a 6+ year builder, since I will build as money becomes available.
I'd like my RV-8 to look like this when Im all done

ac0bca22-6652-4941-aaf7-91e00f846754.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So there you have it,
all the above is what I do to pay the bills (and save for my -8) and I love every day of it.

Thank you

We're so grateful for guys 'n gals like you, serving our country. Glad you're also enjoying it.

I'm ex Army and my wife is a retired Naval Commander who also enjoyed the Navy.

Best,

Jacob,
I sincerely appreciate what you do for our country. Despite loving what you do there are still sacrifices that you are making. Thank you.

It is hard to tell over the internet if it was tongue in cheek, but I will respectfully disagree with the "silly degree" comment. I If it were silly you would not have to work so hard to get it. The work it takes says something about you. It says you are willing to put forth the effort and achieve. Many people will not. Keep working on that degree, be proud of it. I will vote for that paint scheme on your RV.

Last edited:
Quote by Jacob,

"I am currently in my mid 20's, I have been in Naval Aviation for almost 6 years (A long time right?) lol"

34 years ago when my mother looked at my squadrons group photo she said we all looked like babies! I never really thought that was true but as I look at your pictures I'm starting to understand! Keep living the dream! Great photos.

Mr. Duke and Mr. Smith,

Thank you for the kind words- It never gets any easier saying "You're welcome" because it just doesn't seem to be the right response, so I usually say it is my pleasure, sacrifice an all.

As far as the degree goes, it's true it isn't silly... I just try to keep a humorous opinion of it because it has been taking so long. Work doesn't give up much time for studies that are "extracurricular". I am encouraged to get educated, but it is definitely a long hard process- the degree specifically with Embry Riddle is very demanding. I just say 'silly' because it seems like such a small thing standing between where I am now and flying right seat in the same aircraft I know almost EVERYTHING about (maybe more than the pilots themselves :D ) Classes and homework projects are like rivets, just keep on buckin'...

Thank you for your encouragement tho, I do appreciate them and I will be very proud to have accomplished quite a goal once I graduate!

(maybe more than the pilots themselves :D )

Is the picture in your post from Lajes? Looks familiar but I hauled a lot of P-3 crews around to most of the places they went.

Because I couldn't pass the first class medical but could pass the third class medical I rode sideways for a long time on C-141's in the USAFR. Flight Engineers usually knew more stuff about their aircraft than the pilots. Pilots were the drivers but the engineers really owned the jet when it left home station.

In response to a related thread about talking to your aircraft. Yes, as I grapped my bags and headed to the crew bus there was always a quick thanks for a safe flight.

Working P-8 now. Going to be an interesting ship.

P-8?!?!?

Hey- the one of 316 I think may be Lajes. I stole that picture from a freind since I don't have too many EP-3E pictures. They get all bothered when we take pictures of it, tho I assure you there is nothing classified about the picture or location, this time.

I love Center Seat, it really is an awesome place to learn EVERYTHING about this airplane (P-3 series), but learning the back end gear is another story... Thats what the Tech is for ;)

The P-8A is specifically what is pushing me out of a job now, but I won't hold that against you! haha joking. I am hoping I can ride out P-3s for a few more years, by then (when I do OCS) I will have a good chance of flying the P-8A, which will pretty cool.

Thanks, and best of luck with the Poseidon!

Last edited:
]Hey, part of my day job was go to to an aging aircraft conference there. That balcony provides great views of Seahawks and Super Hornets! Especially while eating a great free lunch with 1000 other airplane nerds! Nice work, it's a great hotel.

Just stayed there too. Nice work !!

Hey- the one of 316 I think may be Lajes. I stole that picture from a freind since I don't have too many EP-3E pictures. They get all bothered when we take pictures of it, tho I assure you there is nothing classified about the picture or location, this time.

I love Center Seat, it really is an awesome place to learn EVERYTHING about this airplane (P-3 series), but learning the back end gear is another story... Thats what the Tech is for ;)

The P-8A is specifically what is pushing me out of a job now, but I won't hold that against you! haha joking. I am hoping I can ride out P-3s for a few more years, by then (when I do OCS) I will have a good chance of flying the P-8A, which will pretty cool.

Thanks, and best of luck with the Poseidon!

A late reply to NavyIBNFE, but I just wanted to say I have a great deal of respect for flight engineers after spending a couple days banging around the pattern with a really good one on a C-130 (ok, the whole flight crew was really good) at Little Rock AFB....I assume they Navy ones are even better!

I both like and hate these kinds of threads!

Love to see what everyone else does for a living. Hate that I really don't have a cool or fun job anymore, ...just one that pays the bills.

This is me from the good 'ole days. I was a stewardess/lifeguard /mechanic/load master/line boy on these ugly things for a few years (phrogs and Hueys at one time or another):

Then, I worked as an avionics tech here:

atsaerial_10410455.jpg

But that gig ended a couple of days after the twin towers came down and the bigs started parking jets, and deferring maintenance.

Its ok though, the pay sucked, and there was no chance of moving up.

My bachelor's degree and 20+years of aviation maintenance experience were not getting me a paying gig. So, I swallowed my pride and went back to school to get credentialed in a field that was hiring, ....and paying very well.

Now, I get to see people on what is one of the worst (if not THE WORST) days of their lives. In fact, sitting here, I get to see way more than I want to.

My job is not fun. But, it pays the bills. And, soon enough, I'll be free to do what ever I want and pay myself to do it:

I would like to think that you have also discovered things in time for them to be healed. That must be a good feeling!!:cool:

Stumbled across this thread today..... Thought I'd post some pics... I definitely don't have anything that compares to some other people.. nothing involving flying really fast things during the day...
What I do do is high end Audio/Video and Automation systems. I own my own company called A/V Consulting. Been pretty lucky to work completely off referrals... Designing and wiring BIG A/V systems and racks certainly is helping with the wiring and electrical design of the plane...
Here' a few Racks. As you can see, my guys and I are pretty picky about the wiring...
2vacp5u.jpg

The back
dokujb.jpg

Different system... No Equipment besides the displays and speakers in the rest of this 10k sq ft house.
nz5afo.jpg

The phone guys made a little bit of a mess of the left side of this one.. I did clean it up after this pic...
14w6ip5.jpg

This is a theater I just finished... 12ft wide masking curved anamorphic screen (It changes from HDTV Shape, to what you see here so you never get the black bars for widescreen movies..)
1eua93.jpg

And yes.... Caddyshack just happened to be on Cable.... Had to spend 30 minutes or so watching... ahem... I mean calibrating...
2qs5wdy.jpg

Last edited:
Nice gig!

They say "the carpenter's home is never finished". I hope the saying isn't true for you.

Ahhh but it is.... Actually.. I finally did some LONG OVERDUE work on my own AV system back in December... of course I still have an outdoor TV that the wife has been bugging me to install for...... a year... It's on the list...

6 years USAF avionics, 41 years engineering and quality control at Texas Instruments, last 15+ years I get paid to look at airplanes!

Call me, I'll look at yours. If I like it I may even issue an Airworthiness Certificate. Did one today.

Retired at 42 years of age and very comfortable. No need to digress on what "I used to to do" as this thread is asking for the"day job."

Timely speaking, hanging out with my English Springer Spaniel every day and flying my RV is the highlight of my daily schedule; weather permitting. Crappy days-my ESP Zeek has me fulltime. Good days; my butts in the air!

Wow. So many incredibly smart, talented people here. Even the ones who claim "boring" jobs get my respect.

In a previous life I turned wrenches on pretty much everything IBM built in the 60s, 70s and 80s. From the S/360 and S/3 to the 308x and I even babysat a 3090 for a while. It was a lot of fun being the guy with the answers. Too bad the bottom dropped completely out of that business in a very short period.

I ran my own company for a while, but I feel much better now. Network engineer, technical manager, systems architect. Now I work for an enormous bank , and they don't let me drive the stagecoach. I haven't had an office outside of my home in ten years now. I work in infrastructure monitoring and alerting, and occasionally I'll have to mute a conference call so no one hears the air compressor. My desk is too much of a mess to ever take, let alone show, a picture.

Oh, and I have a sideline business producing and selling electronic kits to ham radio operators; it helps pay for the RV.

I was a cotton/hay farmer for 23 years before my brother in law talked me into the drilling business. I have never been employed or had a salary, always been a contract (daywork) hand. I represent the oil company onsite during the horizontal drilling of oil/gas wells. I work 14 on and 14 off. This works out great for my airplane building. During my 14 days on I live and work out of a mobile home. I am very fortunate as my rig is 40 miles from my home. This is the view from my office window.

2elciuf.jpg
[/IMG]

This year I will be heavily involved in building of this.

155-gun-system.jpg

ORD_Naval_AGS_Firing_Concept_lg.jpg

This one is a bit older but still built often.

image.jpg

I basically program and support the machinist on some CNC machines large enough to build a billet RV3.

I work for the Smithsonian Institution's Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Ma.

I'm on the ACIS (Advanced CCD Imaging Spectrometer) Instrument Team. ACIS is aboard the Chandra X-ray Orbiting Observatory. We control the satellite, upload maneuver and science loads to the sat, get the data from the sat, process it and make it available to scientists.

So I drive an office during the day:

Office1.jpg

This is the view out my office window:

Office2.jpg

Last edited:
Gregg, does the name Chris Anderson strike any bells with you? used to fly a RV 6.

Hi Mike,

No can't say that it does. At present there is no Chris Anderson here at the CFA. There is a Craig Andersen but I don't think he's a pilot.

Back