What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Grin-Next Generation

stevemcgirr

Well Known Member
The last day of 2014 in Eugene, Oregon was cold, but clear with wind 10 right out of the North. High school senior Doug, was working with retired USAF pilot and current NetJets pilot Ray on transition and tailwheel endorsement in our RV7. Doug and I started building 1991M when he was 13. He solo'ed at 16 in a Cessna and got his PPL in 2014 at 17.
But John Stahr wanted to take advantage of the beautiful day for air to air photos of 91M. As Doug, Ray and I watched, he story boarded his plan for the flight. I could see from Doug's expression, that my plans of flying for the mission were going to change...
John's brother, a photographer, would be back seat in John's RV8 "American Angel". He was visiting from Florida, and would later be watching some football game (They are both FSU alum). Off they went; I swept the hangar.
After the shoot, Ray exited the plane, but Doug did not. As Ray strode down the taxiway, Doug rolled out. Ray, beaming, had endorsed his logbook. After all Doug's work, he was going to fly 1991M for the first time alone.
I hope the photos upload, and that you all enjoy them.
It was a very good day.
And yes, Doug is taller than Ray.

11kc9p1.jpg

33dvxa8.jpg

23lba4k.jpg

2qypu.jpg

353ctgl.jpg

21abcr4.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Terrific accomplishment Doug!
Love the post Steve. Great photo. I can't wait to join you guys! Build on.
Joe

Back