What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Advanced Panel Video

N402RH

Well Known Member
Since we all did not get a chance to go to Sun-n-Fun this year we decided to post a new video showing how a RV-7 VFR panel can be upgraded to IFR. Stay safe during these difficult times and we look forward to seeing you at the next airshow.

http://youtu.be/5tNAdWJWIvY

39524880701_1a2e9fc516_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
Kudos to Rob. I had an original AFS VFR Quick Panel with dual ADAHARS, and wanted to upgrade to a 2nd comm and IFR Navigator. The AFS gang built a harness for the GNC355 and a PDA360XR remote audio panel. I cut the hole, they supplied the harness and it was a true plug and play upgrade. Thank you AFS.

https://i.postimg.cc/nzgtY9FP/20191018-165143.jpg

Adding components to AFS panel

I just added a Garmin GPS 175 to my AFS 5600 panel. The panel has the Advanced Control Module so adding the Garmin was as simple as cutting a hole in the panel and plugging in the harness. Then just some easy configuration changes and I was all set. Love my AFS.

Upgraded Advanced Quick Panel (VFR) to IFR

The ACM is truly "plug and play"! I had Rob and team design and build my original Advanced Quick Panel as a very nice, very functional VFR panel using all Dynon hardware.

Last year, I had Rob's team update my panel to IFR including an Avidyne IFD440 Nav/Com radio and a redundant ADAHRS.

The actual panel install was VERY simple...complete plug and play into the ACM. I spend FAR more time routing additional wiring and coax than I did installing the hardware in the panel.

Xsxr3RoQtQur2JKOQ753jl0ZdQZd3eUMplhKwgnSXHhEztn7i3ngA-te6GmJGJwF7n4a4guLLnRFjv8R60nyljg47_wCnnkVNzKfPba1OYIFTlDZORTistFZmOJTtXYiszzE9SIHYB-0NpG21ftkrtl0btaumpQl4Nz8xeAS1umKE7uOpdsCfX_GE0OC8i_8HNeLd136z87U7ZT4L7UwEVWU-br4NI3qHglBqGP5OxnPonX5ATJCO4wvUqmvcqekimYCRaIDmywc5xSbNTMMK5lHc4AUpjR5OxqiSaTbbgRhmdZeKI-z9TJ_csWEmNrl7a4nUicaR40d2gVAJfIrwt3pBmjbODXz8D6VBy1ruL1wUGe44u95iuFAxwvmUK0Whpo9Vqf92ZJHLRfBLgXPTtYZcGafw6ym_-6vXAe4qI__IQIDC83EOVB1jiOKYOsgdJU9GP2-c9h1O56X7Z_YOimM-PJcAoKv96CUd4_91-apvjvyw4XehZ8VdGQJrhftS-KtMBsuYK4adgJXOVl7dbR8U0QPoo5IbylqBhKm7NfWEslVO9v8ZsVpzNXaWWj3alZrUvNf18j4Wxp5pJlA0VbzSIr_tErweDwcPVNPOrAuLVcdwdEBBOwX8lQkYel_WWVgOho7aORy2aLfDvGzqdKCmjGnZhu3pz4J09dH2UG76pSdVdjXAYaqmxqEq4VWOv5EMp6oHQbpLRjGCMihe7KoYK_LYIIDrg9liLtUORp0nnu0ikRy9w=w638-h189-no

I did have some challenges getting the ARINC-429 configured, but with Rob's guidance it works perfectly.

The Dynon/Advanced team have been phenomenal! Keep it up.

Cheers,
Ackselle

Budgetary pricing?

Thanks for this video--nice clean work!

Roughly, what's the pricing for the expandable VFR panel shown initially in the video?

How similar is the Advance panel compare to the Vertical Power box? I read your website but only find a few paragraphs describing it.

Thanks
Phat Vu

Ok, I am sold. I talked to Rob and Bruce Swayze(friend) yesterday, hope to get this purchased/installed toot sweet!

Overview

The Advanced Panel system is based on our Advanced Control Module ?ACM-ECB?. The electronic circuit breaker ?ECB? version has internal circuit current monitoring and will shut off a circuit if the current is too high. With the ACM-ECB you can monitor the current of each circuit and reset any tripped circuits from the EFIS. The ACM is the main power distribution center for the aircraft's electrical system. The avionics, headsets, aircraft lights, autopilot servos, trim servos, flap motor, control sticks and panel switches all get connected to the ACM. Using the ACM with its plug and play features vastly simplifies an aircraft?s wiring and troubleshooting. The ACM also makes future upgrades extremely easy. Want to add an IFR Navigator in the future? No problem, just plug it into the ACM NAV-COM and GPS NAVIGATOR plugs. The complicated and time consuming (Audio Panel, GPS RS-232 data, NAV ARINC data and GPS ARINC) wiring is already done.

ACM-ECB Features

27 dedicated channels of circuit protection including: PFD, MFD, BACKUP EFIS, TRANSPONDER-ADSB, COM 1, NAV 1, COM 2, NAV 2, GPS NAVIGATOR, AUDIO PANEL, CABIN LIGHTS, DEFROST, ALTERNATOR, AUX POWER, STARTER, BOOST PUMP, PITOT HEAT, LEFT LANDING LIGHT, RIGHT LANDING LIGHT, NAV LIGHTS, STROBE LIGHTS, TRIM MOTORS, AP SERVOS, FLAP MOTOR. BACKUP ALTERNATOR, TAXI LIGHTS, SPARE POWER CIRCUIT, CABIN LIGHT SWITCH

• Built in SV-ARINC module
  • Multi Step Flap Positioning System
  • Wig-Wag Lighting Circuit (airspeed controlled)
  • Panel Dimmer
  • Trim Controller (must have SV-AP-PANEL)
  • SV Network Hub (4 Port + AP Servos)
  • Panel Switch Interface with support for switch lights
  • Control Stick Interface

The VPX system is an Electronic Circuit Breaker system. It replaces the traditional Circuit Breakers in an aircraft?s panel, it also gives you wig-wag lighting and flap position control. A customer would still need to wire all the ARINC, RS-232, audio, radios, intercom and wire all the power for these devices to the VPX box.

The Approach Faststack is a hub system for all the avionics with separate red and black power wires that then need to be connected to circuit breakers. In a sense the ACM-ECB is a combination of a VPX and Faststack in a single box.

One of the major advantages of an ACM-ECB is we provide pre made switch modules that connect to the ACM with a single ribbon cable eliminating all the complicated switch wiring.

Pricing Comparison

VPX Pro--------------$2,195
SV-ARINC--------------$450
SV-NET-5-Port Hub-----$50
VPX License------------$350
====================
TOTAL VPX Install $3,045

ACM-ECB Install $2,750

Rob Hickman

I?m curious about the IFR qualification. I assume the co-pilot side screen is the required backup for the main screen. Has it been established that the viewing angle of the second screen is within limits?

Bevan

The ACM is truly "plug and play"! I had Rob and team design and build my original Advanced Quick Panel as a very nice, very functional VFR panel using all Dynon hardware.

Last year, I had Rob's team update my panel to IFR including an Avidyne IFD440 Nav/Com radio and a redundant ADAHRS.

The actual panel install was VERY simple...complete plug and play into the ACM. I spend FAR more time routing additional wiring and coax than I did installing the hardware in the panel.

Xsxr3RoQtQur2JKOQ753jl0ZdQZd3eUMplhKwgnSXHhEztn7i3ngA-te6GmJGJwF7n4a4guLLnRFjv8R60nyljg47_wCnnkVNzKfPba1OYIFTlDZORTistFZmOJTtXYiszzE9SIHYB-0NpG21ftkrtl0btaumpQl4Nz8xeAS1umKE7uOpdsCfX_GE0OC8i_8HNeLd136z87U7ZT4L7UwEVWU-br4NI3qHglBqGP5OxnPonX5ATJCO4wvUqmvcqekimYCRaIDmywc5xSbNTMMK5lHc4AUpjR5OxqiSaTbbgRhmdZeKI-z9TJ_csWEmNrl7a4nUicaR40d2gVAJfIrwt3pBmjbODXz8D6VBy1ruL1wUGe44u95iuFAxwvmUK0Whpo9Vqf92ZJHLRfBLgXPTtYZcGafw6ym_-6vXAe4qI__IQIDC83EOVB1jiOKYOsgdJU9GP2-c9h1O56X7Z_YOimM-PJcAoKv96CUd4_91-apvjvyw4XehZ8VdGQJrhftS-KtMBsuYK4adgJXOVl7dbR8U0QPoo5IbylqBhKm7NfWEslVO9v8ZsVpzNXaWWj3alZrUvNf18j4Wxp5pJlA0VbzSIr_tErweDwcPVNPOrAuLVcdwdEBBOwX8lQkYel_WWVgOho7aORy2aLfDvGzqdKCmjGnZhu3pz4J09dH2UG76pSdVdjXAYaqmxqEq4VWOv5EMp6oHQbpLRjGCMihe7KoYK_LYIIDrg9liLtUORp0nnu0ikRy9w=w638-h189-no

I did have some challenges getting the ARINC-429 configured, but with Rob's guidance it works perfectly.

The Dynon/Advanced team have been phenomenal! Keep it up.

Cheers,
Ackselle

I’m curious about the IFR qualification. I assume the co-pilot side screen is the required backup for the main screen. Has it been established that the viewing angle of the second screen is within limits?

Bevan

I have the Dual 5600T screens in my -7 with dual ADAHARS, there is no problem viewing the MFD from the left seat and as mentioned the PFD joystick can control the MFD. When flying IFR I split the MFD to display a second horizon and the enroute chart/approach plate. Not including the inserts, you can display 4 different functions between the 2 screens and still have engine displays wherever you like.

Last edited:
I?m curious about the IFR qualification. I assume the co-pilot side screen is the required backup for the main screen. Has it been established that the viewing angle of the second screen is within limits?

Bevan

In the USA there is no requirement for a backup EFIS for IFR flight, not saying that is smart just not required.

In my RV-10 I have 4 separate AHRS units.

All three main EFIS screens are connected to a Dynon ADAHRS-200 and ADAHRS-201. The Garmin G5 is wired to the ACM-ECB and gets connected to the AF-5600 and AF-5700 for cross checking. The AF-5600 and 5700 can also use the G5 ADAHRS as a backup ADAHRS source. The Avidyne IFD-550 also has an internal AHRS that drives the IFD horizon display in this picture.

48891528951_0d93107768_b.jpg

Rob Hickman

I noticed the picture of the panel (in post #4) was of a Canadian aircraft. Hence my interest. It is my understanding that a backup display screen is required for IFR (in Canada) and needs to be within the pilot’s field of view (there’s a max viewing angle). I can’t find the reg right now so I was wondering if you knew off hand having just gone through this (what the maximum angle is). That panel is nice looking!

Last edited:
Back