What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New vinyl striping on RV-9

PH-SCP

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

After flying this RV-9 for around 10 years I am getting a little bored with the colours. The aircraft is basically all white and the current stripes and tailnumbers are applied in vinyl.

49631180901_e31a8eed2c_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_8538 by Simon Paul, on Flickr[/IMG]

49631180971_3fc72c2a75_h.jpg
[/url]IMG_4245 by Simon Paul, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you would design a more modern scheme with bended, more aerodynamiccaly conforming, striping, would there be a specialized company to make them ? Second question is how difficult it is to apply these new vinyl striping ?

Suggest you search out a local vinyl graphics or auto vinyl wrap shop. You could buy the vinyl and tapes from them & they could give you the 10 minute instruction to install it. That simple.
They could pre-cut your curved stripes, or you could do it on the plane (without using a razer blade!) Check out the many YouTube videos out there on car vinyl wrapping.

Last edited:
Hi Simon
We have a -7 in the assembly phase on my field.... base paint job, amber-yellowish. Now in the process of applying dynamic flowing lines wrap.
Conceptual design was done in the US, whilst the cutting and delivery done in the „EU“. Application being done locally by the builder and the wrap provider. The whole process ain’t cheap, but :D
Very good results, though care, time and dust free environment required.

Knifeless tape

There is a product called "knifeless tape" which is used to cut your vinyl along a line you lay out before laying your vinyl sheets onto the plane. There are a number of online tutorials for how this is done. Some info here.

Personal Opinion:

I think your plane is a classic beauty! I wouldn't change a thing.

I currently have an all-white RV-6A, and looking for vinyl ideas. I just might copy yours!

Cheers..........

Same same

I like the existing paint scheme also, but I guess it's your choice!
Maybe just some new decals or diagonal stripes on the vertical stabiliser would help to fight the boredom?

Back