What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-4

egp8111

Patron
RV-4 sr.# 1904 got her airworthiness certificate today, 30 yrs. and 26 days after the order was placed for the tail kit! Talk about a slow build....

Thanks to all who helped me so much to complete this project, especially Bill E. and Jim W. Most of all to Mr. Don Harris who was the original builder before he passed away.

Now for some decent weather!!

Skip
NC
RV-4 #1904

WOW

Skip,
Congrats of completing......and looks 100% done too....
Awesome paint .....won't miss that one in the pattern!
Have fun with first flight and phase one testing!
Good Job!!

Well done.

My 4 took 23 years but I love her to bits.

I hate to make this suggestion but as I have been improving mine ever since it first took to the air I will point out that the new style wheel pants will give you an extra 5mph. I just changed mine and saw this improvement.

Good times a coming!

Looking forward to some -4 form-ups soon! I will be over to visit in Casper once we finally get the weather thing favorable...keep me posted on first flight plans.

My kit was purchased in '90 (#2154). The first builder had it for 25 yrs, 3 moves and 2 marriages. Then I got it and it was at the QB stage (approx.). I figured hey, it's all there, looks like an airplane. Hang an engine, run a few wires, stick a screen in the panel and go fly. Easy peasy. That was 3 yrs go and I have worked hard on it, but now I know what you other builders know. So I will also have a 30 yr project by the time I am flying, but I can't wait. Jealous! :p

Your bird looks real nice. I hope you have a great time flying it.

Well done! It's great to see "new" -4's still taking life. I'm a few months behind you and can't wait for the fun your about to have this week flying her.. Keep us posted.

Building the RV-4 !

After 15 years of solo efforts I've taken the plunge to join forces with a fellow builder in a 50/50 partnership. The increase in energy and work effort will hopefully see her flying in a year or so.
Sometimes having 50% of a flying -4 is better than owning 100% of a part built project.
Your beautiful machine highlights that continued effort can produce superb results. Hats off to you for such a sterling effort.

love that yellow

Beautiful -4, love the color. Mine is similar yellow. I call it "Yellow Fever".
congrats!

First Flight

Runway finally dried out, winds were calm so no excuse not to fly it this morning, so I did!
Temps all good (on the cool side) just a slight heavy right wing easily trimmed out. Flew like I hoped it would. Hardest part was getting it slowed down enough to land...
This is going to be fun
I'm grinning :)

Skip
RV-4 #1904 (its a airplane now)
NC

Way 2 Go!

RV-4 sr.# 1904 got her airworthiness certificate today, 30 yrs. and 26 days after the order was placed for the tail kit! Talk about a slow build....

Thanks to all who helped me so much to complete this project, especially Bill E. and Jim W. Most of all to Mr. Don Harris who was the original builder before he passed away.

Skip
NC
RV-4 #1904

Skip,
Looks like a beauty.

Daddyman

Mellow Yellow...

Skip
NC
RV-4 #1904

Skip,
We ordered our tail kits the same year, WOW, congrats!
Although not a fan personally of your primary color choice, you pull it off with panache!
The best part is another FOUR plying the skies...

V/R
Smokey

PS: They are never fully done...BTW. Hey,is that a Bob Olds Landing Light? Blast from my past...:)

Last edited:
BTW. Hey,is that a Bob Olds Landing Light? Blast from my past...:)

I, too, noticed that! :) Then again, I own Bob's first -4. The lenses will need replaced one of these days; one cracked on the under side and some hazing but it's impressive they've lasted 35 years.

Great looking RV, Skip. I never used to be a fan of yellow on much of anything but as I age, it's definitely warmed up to me. I think she looks great. I love knowing that -4's are still being built and flown. They are amazing machines.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, great looking paint scheme and aircraft. Love the look of the short-gear -4s. That bird looks like she is ready to take to the skies - for some high speed cruising. Congrats.

Good looking RV4... it's my favorite of the breed and yellow looks okay on RV4's and others as well. :)

Cheers, Hans

9ritf6.jpg

Back