What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin Navigation Database & Database Bundle Options

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are excited to announce the availability of the new Garmin Navigation Database and some new database bundle options. The Garmin Navigation Database brings improved database coverage to your G3X or G3X Touch system and lowers the cost of annual database subscriptions for compatible Garmin panel mount GPS units such as GNS 430W/530W and GTN series. Initial coverage is limited to North America.

Some key benefits of this new database. For example, updating US navigation data for a GNS 430W/530W or GTN product used to cost a minimum of $465/yr. The new Garmin Navigation Database is available for $299/yr

For G3X or G3X Touch customers in the US, the Garmin Navigation Database improves upon our low cost US VFR navigation database. It includes limited instrument procedure waypoints (e.g. FAF to the runway), as well as additional frequencies and airport data customers were missing in our VFR database. In other words, our $149.99/yr US Database Bundle just got an upgrade without an up charge!

For a complete listing of database options, please visit our fly.Garmin.com website and visit the Database and Bundle Pricing section.

G3X / G3X Touch Database Bundles

• US Mini Database Bundle, $49.99/yr - US VFR Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacles, and SafeTaxi databases
  • US Database Bundle, $149.95/yr - Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases
  • Canada Database Bundle, $149.95/yr - Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases
  • North America Database Bundle, $199.95/yr - Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases

Annual Navigation Database Subscriptions for GNS 430W/530W and GTN Series

• Garmin Navigation Database - United States, $299.00/yr
  • Garmin Navigation Database - Canada, $299.00/yr
  • Garmin Navigation Database - Americas North, $399.00/yr

Hope to see you all at our booth at Oshkosh!
Oshkosh2015.jpg

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
The price drop on the GNS subscription is appreciated.

Question: Has there been consideration for licensing to the tail number instead of the device? I have a 430W and 696 in my plane.

Great news, especially on the GTN. But wouldn't you know it, after procrastinating for months, I bit the bullet last month and purchased the $465 update.

Oh well, the renewal will be cheaper next year.

Garmin OnePak subscriptions

The price drop on the GNS subscription is appreciated.

Question: Has there been consideration for licensing to the tail number instead of the device? I have a 430W and 696 in my plane.

We do offer what we call "OnePak" subscriptions which cover all compatible devices in the aircraft. In addition to panel mount avionics such as the GNS 430W/530W and GTN series, OnePaks include databases for compatible portables, such as the 696, and an upgrade of your Garmin Pilot subscription to IFR Premium. It will depend on how many and which devices you are planning to keep up to date whether individual subscriptions or a OnePak subscription will be more cost effective.

The Database and Bundle Pricing tool will link you to additional details once you select the product of interest.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
G900X is also compatible with new database bundles

But what about your devout 900X users? ;-)

-Marc

Glad you mentioned it Marc! If you haven't already checked on our website, G900X is also eligible for the Garmin Navigation database and OnePak subscriptions.

Thanks!
Brian

Brian, does this include the GNS-480? Your post references "GNS" devices without distinction, but I cannot find the GNS-480 in the list of avionics to select in my account, nor in the list at the "Database and Bundle Pricing" link in the first post.

Last edited:
Brian, does this include the GNS-480? Your post references "GNS" devices without distinction, but I cannot find the GNS-480 in the list of avionics to select in my account.

No. Unfortunately, there are technical limitations that prevent us from supporting every aviation product. The complete list of compatible avionics from our press release:

The Garmin Navigation Database bundles, single navigator bundles and OnePaks are compatible with the following certified avionics:

• GTN 6XX/7XX touchscreen navigators
  • GNS 4XXW/5XXW navigators
  • G500/G600/G500H glass flight displays
  • G1000®, G2000®, G3000® and G5000® Integrated Flight Decks

Compatibility is also extended to the following portables and experimental displays:

• G3X™, G3X Touch and G900X® glass flight displays
  • aera® 660
  • aera 795/796 series
  • aera 500 series
  • GPSMAP® 696

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
400W

Brian,
I'm guessing there are technical limitations excluding the 400W from the new nav bundles?
Thanks, Andy

Hey Brian,

Great news about the new database options!

Will the new package options affect the free database update that's available for each new G3X Touch system? We would like to send each new airplane out the door with a current database, and trying to figure out how to do that for no less than 3 new airplanes this week before OSH... :eek::eek::eek:

Can we still use our existing Skybound II USB that we use for Jeppesen update for the 430W Nav DB? AT $299 a year, looks to be a saving of $30 annually.

Hi Brian, wondering if the GNS-430 (non-waas) is included in the reduced navigation database pricing as well?

Thank you.

Can we still use our existing Skybound II USB that we use for Jeppesen update for the 430W Nav DB? AT $299 a year, looks to be a saving of $30 annually.

And if not, will you have the Garmin brand at OSH for purchase?

Brian,
I'm guessing there are technical limitations excluding the 400W from the new nav bundles?
Thanks, Andy

All 4XXW/5XXW as well as GTN 6XX/7XX models are compatible with the new bundles. So the GPS 400W is included. Some of these products don't show the new options on flyGarmin yet this week but will be added very soon.

Thanks,
Brian

Hey Brian,

Great news about the new database options!

Will the new package options affect the free database update that's available for each new G3X Touch system? We would like to send each new airplane out the door with a current database, and trying to figure out how to do that for no less than 3 new airplanes this week before OSH... :eek::eek::eek:

The coupon code should let you choose any database option that is supported on a given product for the one time free update. Including the new Garmin navigation database. If you have any issues, please shoot us an email at [email protected] and we'll get it straightened out.

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian, wondering if the GNS-430 (non-waas) is included in the reduced navigation database pricing as well?

Thank you.

No, unfortunately the non-WAAS units will not use the new Garmin Navigation database which is where the savings comes in.

Thanks,
Brian

4XXW/5XXW card programmer

Details from the press release:

GNS 430W/530W all-in-one card programmer

GNS 430W/530W customers in North America can now purchase, manage and update database subscriptions of all types from the flyGarmin? website using Garmin?s USB Aviation Data Card Programmer. GNS 430W/530W database types that are available include the new Garmin Navigation Database, Obstacles and Terrain. The Garmin USB Aviation Data Card Programmer for the GNS 430W/530W is available for purchase on www.garmin.com for $69.95.

And if not, will you have the Garmin brand at OSH for purchase?

Garmin will not be selling anything directly at Oshkosh, but we will have dealers on site. I haven't been able to confirm if any of those dealers will have these in stock yet. If you have a strong need to purchase at Oshkosh, please contact us directly at [email protected] and we'll do what we can to link you with a dealer with inventory if possible.

Thanks,
Brian

One Pack

I have a One Pack subscription for my 750 and appreciate that I can now add my 430W......thanks! Can I add my portable 560 to this subscription, as well?

This makes for loyal Garmin customers.

John

I notice we normally mis out, any assistance for us with the pacific collection (Australia)?

the US product pays $149.95 for the collection (Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, and Terrain (9AS) databases) for the year. We pay $180 for the nav database only.

Haydn

Haydn,

Yep while it is cool that our US cousins get a great deal on mapping and data it is a shame that we seem to miss out. I am getting close to finishing and while the G3x look very cool as far as I can work out the local mapping/data options are slim and expensive.

Alex

I have a One Pack subscription for my 750 and appreciate that I can now add my 430W......thanks! Can I add my portable 560 to this subscription, as well?

This makes for loyal Garmin customers.

John

Yes, the aera 500 series is supported in the OnePak subscription. You get to include one compatible Garmin portable of your choice. Please be aware that if you were previously purchasing a PilotPak, that is not the same as the new Garmin OnePak subscription.

Thanks,
Brian

I just looked at the bundles a little closer and I'm confused.

I own a G3X Touch with a GTN 625.

Before I could either buy a PilotPak for North America for >$1.1k/yr, or buy the annual G3X North America everything bundle for around $200 plus an annual GTN database North America for around $450.

Now I can buy a OnePak NA+Flt charts for $924 or buy the G3X bundled everything North America for $199 plus the annual GTN NA navdata for $399.

Why would I buy a OnePak? All I lose by going to the separate subscriptions is obstacle/terrain/safetaxi on the 625, which I'm honestly never going to look at in lieu of the big screen, plus I save $320/yr.

It would be nice to get a little relief for the folks that have a G3X and a GTN, maybe make a bundle for us?

Jon

Last edited:
I own a G3X Touch with a GTN 625.

Why would I buy a OnePak?

Jon

Jon, for clarity, I'm boiling this down to the question of "Why would I buy a OnePak?" The simple answers are, databases are complicated and it will not be right for every situation. OnePaks will typically make the most sense for people with a G3X system, a compatible IFR panel mount GPS (or multiple panel mount units), a compatible portable, and Garmin Pilot who also want to keep every single database up to date. Looking at US bundles for your equipment as an example:

• United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak, $799/yr (Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain)
This updates every GTN in the panel, all G3X displays, a portable and includes an upgrade of your Garmin Pilot subscription to IFR Premium. Contrast that to the following individual purchases:

• GTN US Datbase Bundle, $499/yr (Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi and Terrain)
  • G3X Touch US Database Bundle, $149.95/yr (Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain)
  • aera 660 US Database Bundle, $149.95/yr (armin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain)
  • Garmin Pilot IFR Premium, $149.99/yr (with associated maps/charts)
  • TOTAL ~ $950/yr

So there is some cost savings if you are updating all the databases on all the products listed above including a compatible portable and Garmin Pilot. You also get some convenience out of managing just one subscription.

Alternatively, you can absolutely purchase the G3X US Database bundle for $149.95 and update the US Garmin Navigation database on the GTN for $299/yr for approximately $450/yr total.

To all, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any questions about your particular situation. Sometimes it is much easier to help on a case by case basis when it comes to databases. We do our best to capture all the details on the fly.Garmin.com website, but are happy to help unravel the database mystery for you.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Yes, the aera 500 series is supported in the OnePak subscription. You get to include one compatible Garmin portable of your choice. Please be aware that if you were previously purchasing a PilotPak, that is not the same as the new Garmin OnePak subscription.

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks. Since I paid more for the PilotPak than the OnePak costs, can it be converted to a OnePak or at least get the same capabilities? Then, when it expires, I will subscribe to the OnePak. It is the same data so not an obsolescence issue (I understand when I buy something that is the latest/greatest then right after I get the shrink wrap off that it is out-done.)

Thanks, again.
John

I missed that Garmin Pilot was included in the OnePak! That's very cool, and definitely starts to skew the math towards the OnePak, especially if I had a portable! Thanks!

Jon

Steve,
Still a bit confused. What's the difference between the US Standard + FliteCharts OnePak ($799) and the US Standard + Flitecharts PilotPak ($972) beyond the price and the Garmin Pilot Subscription?

Last edited:
Steve,
Still a bit confused. What's the difference between the US Standard + FliteCharts OnePak ($799) and the US Standard + Flitecharts PilotPak ($972) beyond the price and the Garmin Pilot Subscription?

The databases in the bundles have very similar functionality. The difference is that the PilotPaks use a Jeppesen navigation database. The OnePaks use the new Garmin Navigation Database and also include a compatible portable and an upgrade of your Garmin Pilot subscription to IFR Premium.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Thanks. Since I paid more for the PilotPak than the OnePak costs, can it be converted to a OnePak or at least get the same capabilities? Then, when it expires, I will subscribe to the OnePak. It is the same data so not an obsolescence issue (I understand when I buy something that is the latest/greatest then right after I get the shrink wrap off that it is out-done.)

Thanks, again.
John

John,

Please use the contact information below and call our product support team if you recently purchased a PilotPak and they can give you some options for converting it.

Thanks,
Brian

Great service!

John,

Please use the contact information below and call our product support team if you recently purchased a PilotPak and they can give you some options for converting it.

Thanks,
Brian

Holy moly!!!! I called and talked to a great guy named Derrick who converted my PilotPak plan to a OnePak, gave me credit for the remaining time on my account towards the new one and updated my account. I paid the difference for a new subscription and now have all of the same services plus my 560 handheld and Garmin Pilot IFR for a lower cost.

Like I said, this makes for loyal Garmin customers.

Happy in Liberty, MO
John

I have a 900X and a 796 in my RV. I've always used the Nav database from Jepp for the 900X. I recently bought the discounted data base for the 796. Now that my Garmin Pilot Pak has run out, what are my options?

thanks

~Marc

Last edited:
I have a 900X and a 796 in my RV. I've always used the Nav database from Jepp for the 900X. I recently bought the discounted data base for the 796. Now that my Garmin Pilot Pak has run out, what are my options?

thanks

~Marc

Marc, please call the product support number below and they can give you more guidance on options. A OnePak may work very well for your combination of equipment and they may be able to help convert you over.

Thanks,
Brian

Data?

Does anyone know if the new data plans will include Garmin pilot? I bought a data package for the g3x and separate standard gns430 from jepp. I am going to try Garmin pilot now instead of foreflight so I wonder if I can save some money on a bundle that includes all three?

Jim

Does anyone know if the new data plans will include Garmin pilot? I bought a data package for the g3x and separate standard gns430 from jepp. I am going to try Garmin pilot now instead of foreflight so I wonder if I can save some money on a bundle that includes all three?

Jim

I think it does.

Question

Brian: Is this the 149 $ G3X package that we are talking about here. I did not know that it would give us Garmin Pilot for our I phones or is this another package that dose give you the G-pilot APP? Out the door at 4:30 tomorrow morning to go to the Belfast get together, if I don't get to check in again for a few days, Thanks anyway. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Brian: Is this the 149 $ G3X package that we are talking about here. I did not know that it would give us Garmin Pilot for our I phones or is this another package that dose give you the G-pilot APP? Out the door at 4:30 tomorrow morning to go to the Belfast get together, if I don't get to check in again for a few days, Thanks anyway. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

No, I was referring to the OnePak package....

Back