What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Introduces SkyView SE

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Dynon is excited to introduce the newest member of the SkyView family. Dynon's new SkyView SE system offers a streamlined and simplified experience for pilots of simple VFR aircraft. The SV-D600 7" and SV-D900 10" displays are priced hundreds of dollars lower than existing SkyView displays.

SkyView SE

SkyView_SE_RGB_540.png

SkyView SE displays are made specifically for VFR aircraft and pilots who want the most intuitive flight and engine instruments on the market. They feature simple and clear displays, with almost no menus to navigate in flight. At the same time, SkyView SE retains modern, innovative Dynon EFIS capabilities like SkyView’s revolutionary COM radio interface and 2-axis autopilot with single-touch controls.

Without mapping capabilities, even the 7" SkyView SE display has a large, easy-to-read Primary Flight Display, including pilot-selectable six-pack "steam gauges". With its simplified feature set and installation, SkyView SE is the successor to Dynon’s legacy D100 series products (which remain available). SkyView SE systems configured like their D100 series counterparts are similar in price. SkyView SE displays have the same dimensions and mounting requirements as existing SkyView 7” and 10” displays.

Dynon expects SkyView SE to be popular with ultralight and simple light sport aircraft, where its low weight and low cost help make factory-built aircraft affordable. For aircraft in the US market, SkyView SE systems equipped with Dynon’s Mode S transponder and SV-GPS-2020 offer the lowest cost integrated glass panel system which meets FAA 2020 ADS-B Out requirements.

The 7” SV-D600 and 10” SV-D900 displays are priced at $1850 and $3100, respectively. A complete 7” SkyView SE system with primary flight instruments starts at $3305 including harnesses. For only $2790 more, SkyView SE customers can add the SV-XPNDR-261 Mode S Transponder (with ADS-B Out) and SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna. Aircraft so equipped will be 100% compliant with the FAA’s upcoming ADS-B Out mandate.

SkyView SE is expected to start shipping in April 2016.

Features

SkyView_SE_Feature_Comparison.PNG

Notes
1: Simplified Mode Only
2: No AP Controls: Trim Control & Autopilot Autotrim Only
3: Auto or Ext Knob Only
4: Via External Button
5: One External NMEA Source

More information, including an extensive FAQ, can be found at www.dynonavionics.com

Thanks!

Michael Schofield
Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
Brilliant!
I've been a long time critic of the growing complexity of EFIS systems. Doing the right things right and lowering the price may be the ticket for the LSA and the average sport plane builder.

Buried in the feature list are also hints about something else coming....

That is nice. Presently using a 7" D180 for all that. I could be one step closer if all my D180 plugs would terminate to a module or to the back of that SE and make a D180 upgrade to SE a quick job with no under the panel rewireing !! But, nice looking VFR unit anyway.

Map version

Brilliant!
I've been a long time critic of the growing complexity of EFIS systems. Doing the right things right and lowering the price may be the ticket for the LSA and the average sport plane builder.

Buried in the feature list are also hints about something else coming....

Perhaps the next item would be a "Skyview SE-Map" version.

A moving map only display might be a good product and better than attaching (kluging?) an iPad in some fashion to your panel...:)

Checklists? I've been out of the game for a while though, so maybe those are already implemented...

Im liking the looks of this a bunch. Simpler is good. Keep the programming code short and sweet (and robust). The lack of capability to connect to an external navigator like a 430 or 650 seems like a step backwards, however. After all, I can do that with my D-10A today through the HS-34. Did I read the FAQ wrong on that point?

That said, when I do want to upgrade to a full featured IFR suite, is this product expandable to a "full" SV system?

Last edited:
Does this have an integrated AHRS or GPS antenna, or are those still remote?

It's the same as existing SkyView systems, with the ADAHRS and magnetometer (optional if the ADAHRS can't be placed in a clean enough location magnetically) in separate modules.

Im liking the looks of this a bunch. Simpler is good. Keep the programming code short and sweet (and robust). The lack of capability to connect to an external navigator like a 430 or 650 seems like a step backwards, however. After all, I can do that with my D-10A today through the HS-34. Did I read the FAQ wrong on that point?

That said, when I do want to upgrade to a full featured IFR suite, is this product expandable to a "full" SV system?

You'll find feature on both sides of the D10/D100 series and SkyView SE that are a little bit different - we really tried to align SkyView SE's feature set towards being really really easy to learn and understand for customers that are are flying things on the simpler end of the experimental / LSA spectrum. Although the D10/D100 series woud go into IFR aircraft, most people equipping with those avionics these days are using them on the opposite end of the spectrum.

But those same customers are also looking for a ways to affordably equip with ADS-B Out, which SkyView SE can with our SV-XPNDR-261 transponder and SV-GPS-2020 position source.

Yes, SkyView SE can be upgraded to full SkyView if you expand your mission after equipping with SkyView SE. We haven't determined pricing for that yet though.

We haven't determined pricing for that yet though.

A 10" SkyView SE plus ADAHRS, EMS, GPS-250, and a four-cylinder probe kit is $5800; the standard SkyView similarly equipped would be $6110...for a difference of $310. (source)

I could definitely understand the appeal of the SE if the display had an integrated ADAHRS and hence avoided the complexity of remotely mounting, plumbing, and wiring an AHRS shelf. As it stands, I'm surprised the simplified feature set of the SE wasn't simply offered as a software option for existing SkyViews.

Your math is a bit off. A 7" SE system is $850 less and a 10" system is $500 less.

The 7? SV-D600 and 10? SV-D900 displays are priced at $1850 and $3100

SV-D1000/NSV is listed here at $3410--based on the original post, I assumed the quote for SV-D900 is for display only.

Regardless, the pricing on the 7" throws things into much better focus--thanks for the clarification. (SV-D600 $1850, SV-D700/NSV $2510--difference $660).

When Dynon quotes prices we do it with harnesses. We only sell them without so you can buy the harness before the screen as you build.

Back