What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trigger Happy

cderk

Well Known Member
I got a little trigger happy with my drill and step bit. What was supposed to be a 5/8" hole is now a little less than 3/4". This is on my RV10 elevator.

What is the best way to "fix" something like this? New spar? New (larger) bushing? Silicone? VHB?

Thanks
Charlie

I would call Van's to see what they say. Hey may say it's fine to have that hole size so just use the larger bushing. They also may say to make a doubler and drill either the same size hole or the 5/8 hole in the doubler. You shouldn't have to replace the spar.

Spar webs are not typically highly loaded. It is common to see big lightening holes in them. I expect vans will give a thumbs up, but definitely ask them. If not, just duct tape it.

Ok that's a joke...duct tape is NOT a structural repair!:p

Next time put red sharpie on the step of the drill bit that is the right size.

I've been able to work around this completing other tasks in the meantime. I also found that Mouser carries these bushings and I've ordered the next two sizes up. It seems like as long as the ID is the same, they should work. I've got an email into Van's as well.

Thanks guys

Back