What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much oil

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have a 0360 in my Rv6
Seems to blow out oil I’m at 7 quarts
What do most of you put in
Thanks
Danny
N15vr

I put in 6 at oil change

and add a quart when it gets to 4. Usually have to add twice between changes.
Superior XP-360 and 1600 hrs.

Blow off point

I'll let the A&Ps share their number here for what's best.

I have not found the blowoff level in my airplane yet. Brand new Thunderbolt YIO-390 with Superior sump, using break in oil and prescribed running power levels to 50 hrs. I use what seems like a lot of oil compared to other claims. ~7-8 hrs/qt But have had quite a few experienced folks tell me that's about right. I have run from as low as 4.5 qts (on the stick) to perhaps 7 quarts and did not in that range see any precipitous increase in consumption. The only oil trace I can find is down #1 intake tube. Have checked that guide and can't feel any difference between it and the others.

For what it's worth.

My engine holds well 6qts, it’s aO-320 E3D, if gets to 5 I will add qt. Seems to burn a qt every 20 to 25hrs

IO 370, I add 1/2 qt oil when it goes below 5qts to keep it between 5-5.5. Anything over that seems to blow out but I do fly some acrobatics in my -8. Engine has about 110 hrs since new and burns a qt in 10-14 hrs.

New Thunderbolt YIO-390 EFII, Stock sump, W100plus since 120 hours. Now almost 200 hours. I've tried running it down to 4 qts and adding a qt along with 5 qts and adding a qt. Does not seem to make a measurable difference. Was also at 7-8 hours per qt and now maybe 8-9 hours per qt. I've known some builders as low as 6 hours per qt same engine. I'm getting some "spitting" of oil from #3 intake tube. So far been flawless. Initially was concerned about what I felt was greater oil usage than normal but now I'm hearing of several engines with similar burn rates. I had a several oil leaks around the head gaskets and took some time before I could fly it (probably less than 20 mins run time) and initially concerned I might have glazed the cylinders but now seems normal.

I change with 6 qts, I'm usually right under 5 qts @ 50hrs when I do the next change. It works out nice that cases make two oil changes.

A friend at Lycoming told me to keep the oil in my O-360 between 5 and 6 quarts. Anything above 6 is subject to going overboard. You can go lower as others have noted.

Chris

RV-6A 550 hours on an 0-360 now has SDS ignition and injection, Fill with 6 at change with filter, and add when it gets close to 4. usually has 5 or so.
Burns one quart per 6 hours with Channel chrome cylinders.
Aeroshell 20/50 year round.
I'd like to burn less But, I'm not going there with new cylinders being impossible to get.
Runs good.
Art

I checked calibration on my O-320 the first time I added oil. 4-Quarts on the stick = 4 quarts into the empty sump. 6 = 6 and I stopped calibration. (Stick = Lycoming Oil Fill Gauge)

I add 7-quarts with filter at oil change time. That ends up being 6-1/3 on the stick after running the engine. When it gets down to 5 quarts, I will add one but most of the time that is between 38 and 45-hours so just change the oil instead of adding.

IF going on a long multi-day cross country, I tend to fill to 7-quarts on the stick. I find that 7-quarts on the stick does not blow out on my installation. IF I go over 7-quarts, I tend to find only 7-quarts on the stick after a flight.

It has been over 20-years since I have flown more than 7-quarts on the stick.

Your results may vary. EXPERIMENTAL aviation is that way sometimes.

I have a parallel valve IO-360 in my RV-8 and an angle-valve IO-360 in my Husky. Neither have an air/oil separator. For both I add 1/2 quart when it dips below 4. Anything above that blows out. Every engine will tell you where it likes it's level after operating for a while and adding any more is wasted on the belly of the bird.

O-360-A1A, If I fill to 8 it will drop to 7 within a hour. After that it seems to hold 7 and slowly burn down to 6 over about 15 hours. At 6 I fill it back to 7

My O-360-A1B is happiest at 6. I made the mistake of adding 7 once and it was down to 6 in 2 hours. When it drops to 5, I add a qt.

Oil level

When I change the oil and filter on my O-360 in a 6A, I add six quarts of oil, one pint of cam-guard, and then I add oil at 5 quarts.

RV6A
RV6 regrettably sold in 2014
Exempt, donate because its almost the best $25 I spend all year.

Back