What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Highest to Lowest: the blog

joe_rainbolt

Well Known Member
A few weeks ago I posted some pictures in the 'weekend' thread from a recent trip flying by Mt. Whitney and landing at Furnace Creek, the highest and lowest points in the continental United States.

I've now finished the write-up on this trip for my blog that answers the question: What to do when your plane is stuck in the sand and has a flat tire on a gravel runway in the Mojave desert dozens of miles from any city?

Warning: The following photo may be too graphic for impressionable pilots:

ACtC-3cVOD-KnbRcp-RboX0FfuydHj1bYfqLKyuPUwpAUJ8IlF_m_DeKGc-_MFUEXQfPbVbqhLEgM1uLhktzDXbk5mO3Yt58EQY8HuqfYFf5q2fulxLWHMUn7yK-g2DD2GzD0oX22RTr0hc8dT8kWUq6fLeSoA=w1090-h664

All the details on this awesome day trip gone wrong and then right again at:

http://roughandreadyaerospace.blogspot.com/2021/04/highest-to-lowest.html

Last edited:
Great trip

I got to make that trip in 1970. although my trip was in the back seat of an F4E out of George AFB in Victorville! I was stationed at George and had been named Airman of the Month and my reward was the ride! I got to add a couple of additional things and they were a pass over the Cuttyback range to see an F4E lay down an impressive amount of 20mm shells! The second was to fly the Mach corridor at Mach 1.1
Thanks for your write-up Joe, it brought back many memories. Glad everything worked out so well.

Paul Cz.:)

Glad it all turned out OK (minus the pant). Not sure I'd want to take my 7A into that strip look at that surface now though :) Guess I'll wait for the RV-15

Great overview and details. I’ve been to Furnace Creek by car and thought the runway looked rough.

Correction

Denali is the highest point in the continental US, Mt Whitey is the highest point in the contiguous 48 states...or was we in Alaska all it the lower 48...good writeup otherwise...

Denali is the highest point in the continental US, Mt Whitey is the highest point in the contiguous 48 states...or was we in Alaska all it the lower 48...good writeup otherwise...

You are correct. Thanks for the proof read. Those responsible have been sacked :)

Back